• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

AB's Steak au Poivre

mjolnir01

El Cañón de Latón
I faced a bit of a conundrum earlier today. I wanted to make steak for the wife as a romantic Valentine's Day dinner, but I wanted to do something different. The grill's been out of propane- for some reason it's almost impossible to find propane in the UK- and we've had a lot of pan-seared ribeyes lately. I had to get us out of the rut.

I remembered Alton Brown had a great recipe for Steak au Poivre on Good Eats a few years ago:

Steak au Poivre

I normally shy away from anything remotely French when it comes to food. Any culture that eats snails should be a bit suspect. However Alton has NEVER steered me wrong, so I gave it a shot. I'm glad I did-- I was blown away. The sauce was silky and velvety with a nice sweet tang that complimented the black pepper perfectly. Delicious with the fillets. I coupled the steak with some thin-sliced French Fries (pom frites?) and it made a great dinner.

If your grill goes out of commission or you just feel like something different, give this a try!

I faced a bit of a conundrum earlier today. I wanted to make steak for the wife as a romantic Valentine's Day dinner, but I wanted to do something different. The grill's been out of propane- for some reason it's almost impossible to find propane in the UK- and we've had a lot of pan-seared ribeyes lately. I had to get us out of the rut.

I remembered Alton Brown had a great recipe for Steak au Poivre on Good Eats a few years ago:

Steak au Poivre

I normally shy away from anything remotely French when it comes to food. Any culture that eats snails should be a bit suspect. However Alton has NEVER steered me wrong, so I gave it a shot. I'm glad I did-- I was blown away. The sauce was silky and velvety with a nice sweet tang that complimented the black pepper perfectly. Delicious with the fillets. I coupled the steak with some thin-sliced French Fries (pom frites?) and it made a great dinner.

If your grill goes out of commission or you just feel like something different, give this a try!

Thanks for the recipe. I always enjoy a nice steak au poive, but have never made it myself. Looks like I'll have to give it a try.

Gonna be doing an "iron Chef" with my brother against a couple of foodie friends & I'm thinking this might be a good addition. Thanks for the post.

Skip

Steak au poivre is my 'go to' steak dish for when its raining or I run out of gas/coal for the grills. Tonight I am gonna do steak oscar instead but usually au poivre is a big hit in my house.

4 minutes on a side?! :0 What are they thinking?!

;) Okay, so maybe everyone doesn't eat their dead cow nearly raw, but they should!

;) Okay, so maybe everyone doesn't eat their dead cow nearly raw, but they should!

I'm a medium-rare guy, but my wife prefers medium, so I upped it to 5 minutes a side. That worked out well.

Now you're just trying to hurt me! UPPED it to 5? :0

When we go out to eat, even my 12 year old daughter likes to order her steaks "bloody". That has got to be a sign of good parenting. :)

I love Alton. I have his kosher salt cellar in my kitchen.
Everything I cook from his show always turns out great.

I like my steak done to the point that a good vet can repair it and teach it to walk again :sign:

Now you're just trying to hurt me! UPPED it to 5? :0

When we go out to eat, even my 12 year old daughter likes to order her steaks "bloody". That has got to be a sign of good parenting. :)

I know, I know... I love my wife, but her doneness preference is one of those "in spite of" things. Fortunately, she makes up for it in other areas. :)

I love Alton. I have his kosher salt cellar in my kitchen.
Everything I cook from his show always turns out great.

I like my steak done to the point that a good vet can repair it and teach it to walk again :sign:

I just did Alton's chicken fried steak tonight... always one of our family favorites. I miss Good Eats so much!

Good Eats was an amazing series. I've tried a number of AB's recipes and they've all been fantastic. I baked his free range fruitcake this Chistmas. I can't remember the last time I'd even eaten fruitcake, and everyone I mentioned my plans to bake it looked at me with this weird "huh, why would you want to MAKE fruitcake??" kind of look.
For a first time attempting it, it turned out great! Everyone that tried a slice said it was one of the best they'd had.
Wonder what kind of cigar would go well with a fruit macerated in rum and cognac basted cake??

Good Eats was an amazing series. I've tried a number of AB's recipes and they've all been fantastic. I baked his free range fruitcake this Chistmas. I can't remember the last time I'd even eaten fruitcake, and everyone I mentioned my plans to bake it looked at me with this weird "huh, why would you want to MAKE fruitcake??" kind of look.
For a first time attempting it, it turned out great! Everyone that tried a slice said it was one of the best they'd had.
Wonder what kind of cigar would go well with a fruit macerated in rum and cognac basted cake??

I don't know, but if I ever meet him I'll ask... he's a cigar smoker.

I don't know, but if I ever meet him I'll ask... he's a cigar smoker.

He already had my respect and admiration... not sure how much more I have to give him, but I'll find a way.