• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Adjusting Humidor from 70% to 65%

Pyre

Back with a vengeance
I bought my humidor back in March of this year. It is a 3ft tall cabinet type humidor, and just about full.

I put my beads in the bottom, and I placed my hygrometer in the middle of the humidor, behind the glass door where I can easily see it without opening up the humidor. I adjusted and kept the humidity reading right at 69%-70%.

Maybe 4 weeks ago, I accidentally added too much water to my beads. RH shot up to ~72%. What I didn't realize, was that the top two trays in my humidor where staying at a RH higher than the middle of the humidor. So, cut a long story short, I noticed mold. ><

I emptied the humidor, inspected every cigar, and only found 2 on my top most shelf that were affected. I caught it early, and I have now decided that I may try keeping my humidor at 65% instead.

My RH now has been 67% for the last 3 weeks. I was startign to get concerned that maybe my hygrometer wasn't working properly, but I inspected a few cigars, and they are still a little spongy. I guess that it will just take a while to drop the humidity down to 65-66%.

In 3 weeks and it hasn't dropped 1 rh yet? Does that sound right? I open it up maybe once every 3 days. I try to circulate the air around, let some RH escape, but it still stays at 67%. The RH in my house is 47% (I keep another hygro on top of the humi). Temp is consistently 69-72 degrees.

My Humis sit tight at 67% and I have 65% beads. I think there is a range for the beads 65% is actually 63%-67%. However 67% is perfectly acceptable to me, my cigars smoke very well.

Also, it will take time to suck the moisture out of the cigars and the wood. Basically the wood will coninue to humidify the air in the cabinet until it stabilizes.

Regards,

Dan

Pyre,
I've read in other posts that, to bring the humidity level down, just take the beads out and blow a hair dryer over them until they dry out a bit; if I remember correctly, this will cause the beads to become a little more pearlescent (less clear and more silverish I believe). This will cause the beads to soak up the overage of RH that is in your humidor.

Hey, any chance posting your humidor somewhere? I'd love to see it!

Darren :sign:

Yeah, I read that about the beads too. Being a single guy, I don't own a hairdryer.

I'll post a pic of the humi if I can find one.

Well, hopefully you have an oven?? :0 I've been told that putting the beads in an oven will do the same thing as a hair dryer.

Best of luck to you. I'm confident you'll get the RH issue under control in no time.

Darren

Pyre said:
Yeah, I read that about the beads too. Being a single guy, I don't own a hairdryer.

I'll post a pic of the humi if I can find one.
[snapback]240407[/snapback]​

Hmmm... The simplest thing to do if you have forced air heat is just put your beads over a heat register with the heat on for a hour or so. Works great and your beads will be dry and suck up all the excess humidity much faster. Works great for me!!

Put the oven on 150-175 and put them in for about 10 minutes. The amount of cigars added to the amount of cedar you have is yor enemy per se. Just keep dooing this and eventually it will come down. Also, do some searches here and at CW. You are a prime canidate for a small fan on a timer. Wouldn't hurt to divide your beads in three different levels either.

Emo