• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Advice for Analog to Digital home movies

Flatsix

I've got hours of home movies taken on an 8mm Sony Handycam. I want to convert to digital and put them on DVDs.

How do I do this??

you can import them into windows movie maker, it is not the best but it will work, then save them to DVD.

Tim

I have been converting VHS using DVD2 Express converter box, about $50. If you have an 8mm camera with output cables, it will attach to the DVD converter box and with the included software it will convert in real time to MPEG-2 or 4. It is very easy to do and also has digital video software also. I found my at Sam's club.

Do you still have the camera to play them on or just the tapes?

If you have the camera, something like this should work. Plug the camera into that, plug box into computer and capture with the included software. Probably the same kind of setup as roboref was talking about.

If you only have the tapes, there are companies you can send them off too that'll do the conversion to DVD for you. Search Google, quite a few came up when I did. I'm sure it won't be cheap, though.

---John Holmes...

If you have a lot of 8mm's and are willing to spend some money, having a company do it is well worth it. remember, when you are doing the conversion yourself, you have to do it in real time, so a 2 hr tape will mean you have to watch 2hrs.
If you are planning on editing, and the camera has firewire, you can import direct to windows and edit down the footage, then convert to dvd. I have done this, and edited tapes from 2hrs of footage to about 25min, so i could fit more on a dvd.