• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Advice for buying my first humidor

Mr.Smoke

Hello guys,

I just started to smoke cigars, and after reading the informations available on the internet i come to the conclusion that first i have to buy a decent humidor and only after i can "invest" in some more expensive cigars, because if i buy the ciras without a good humidor i will only mange to ruin them.
So that being said after searching the internet i've found this website:
http://humidoro.de/Humidors/Humidor-for-100-cigars-glass-top::280.html
What do you think about this humidor, it's ok ?
Thanks alot !

There is a lot of info on Humidors here on the site, more than I think anywhere else on the net. But IMO the best starter Humidor looks a lot like this.

cooler-product-floating-main.png

Sweetrice80 has something there if you find a cooler with a tight top it will work wonders. I keep all my boxes in a cooler and it holds the RH great and my sticks smoke fine. But if you do want to get a desktop I would probably avoid anything with a glass window. just another area to lose humidity through.

Thanks for the replyes guys !
For now i made a humidor from a big plastic food container, as a humidifier i used a small plastic receipe filled with paper tissues soked in distilled water.
I don't worry about temperatue because it's winter :)
Maybe i will get a hygrometer to see what's going on in there :)
How long can i store cigars like this?

Mr Smoke i would probably try and avoid the tissue in distilled water, your probably going to get more RH then you want. Go to your local smoke shop and pick up a boveda pack or order some beads from heartfelt. Search viper or heartfelt here and you will see what i am talking about

Thanks for advice Pete. Unfortunately i am from Romania so i don't think any of those products will be available here.
I just want to keep the cigars in decent conditions for one or two months maximum until i get a decent humidor.
What else can i use instead of tissues? maybe a sponge ?
By the way: what is RH ?

RH is relative humidity. If you search on here there are some people who have used kitty litter as a control.

All good advice. Also, I'm not sure why you think you can't get products. I'm pretty sure these places will ship anywhere. If the shipping price is problem, just go to a local cigar store and they should have something inexpensive like boveda packs or water pillows.
Good luck,
Ian

Meawhile, i bought a digital hygrometer, i did the salt test and the reading is 70% humidity, that means it reads 5% less (approximately) right ?
As a humidifier i use some flower foam (similar to oasis) placed in a little plastic container with very little distiled water. Now the hygrometer reads 65%, that means the actual RH is about 70% right ?

Correct... if it's 5% low.
Is your hygrometer capable of being calibrated to read true?
If so, I would adjust it &/or re-salt test it and adjust it up (or down) to 75% at that time. This way your not having to add 5% each time??
Just a thought... Good Luck!

If you can't calibrate it I wouldn't worry too much... You'll just have to remember or write down that it is 5% low for the reading.
I see there's a reset button, does the manual state what that's for? Perhaps to reset it to 75%? If this is the case then once it's been salt tested (again) for 24 hours you would simply hit reset (to 75%) & then it is calibrated. If the reset is simply for the min/max then you can't calibrate it & you'll just have to go with knowing the reading is -5% off.

Regards!!

If the reset is simply for the min/max then you can't calibrate it & you'll just have to go with knowing the reading is -5% off.
The reset is just for the min/max values. I tested it and that is what he does. Also the same thing is written in the users manual. Anyway is not hard to remember one number :cool:
Thanks for the advices.
Cheers !

Your link brings me to the forums page.

Fixed, I was using tapatalk, I guess I won't be. I revisited the app after someone bumped the tapatalk discussion. Needless to say, I will be using the CP skin from my phone's browser from now on.

Thanks,

David

Just found this great step by step cooler-dor creation, by souldog.

http://www.cigarpass...-my-cooler-dor/

Thanks for the link David!!
After reading that thread I do believe I'll be giving a Cooler-dor a shot (if I can find a cooler during winter :cool:).
Souldogs build gave me some great ideas... possibly involving cedar drawers (I know it defeats the propose...just like the idea!!)?
We shall see... Have a good one all!!

Just found this great step by step cooler-dor creation, by souldog.

http://www.cigarpass...-my-cooler-dor/

Thanks for the link David!!
After reading that thread I do believe I'll be giving a Cooler-dor a shot (if I can find a cooler during winter :cool:).
Souldogs build gave me some great ideas... possibly involving cedar drawers (I know it defeats the propose...just like the idea!!)?
We shall see... Have a good one all!!

Check this out:

http://www.cigarpass.com/forumsipb/topic/72441-my-new-mini-coolidor-with-trays/page__hl__cooler