• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Advice Needed on finishing Western Cedar

I recently roofed and screened in my deck. I used 4 inch plank T&G western Cedar for the ceiling. It looks and smells fantastic. Any oils I can use that will keep the wood from weathering gray, yet still retain the smell of the cedar? I am dreading losing either, but I'll poly it if I have to to keep the look. It's about 180 sq ft.

TIA

Some brands of tung oil have very little scent, and it will help preserve the wood, but I'm not sure if it will cover the smell. Hmm, that's a good question and I'm not sure what you can do. If you have any small pieces you can try it and see if it works before doing the whole thing.

Some brands of tung oil have very little scent, and it will help preserve the wood, but I'm not sure if it will cover the smell. Hmm, that's a good question and I'm not sure what you can do. If you have any small pieces you can try it and see if it works before doing the whole thing.

Thanks. I've thought about tung oil or even boiled linseed oil. But if it's going to seal in the smell, I might as well use poly.

I might suggest taking a sample of the wood to your local supplier and ask them to test a few finishes for you. I use a lot of Spanish Cedar but I've never put a finish on it. A good supplier should be willing to assist you.