• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Advice on how to build a coolerdor

anguyen1107

Greeting, Ladies and Gentlemen of the Forum:

I am freshly new here in this forum and looking for advices on how to build or prepare a coolerdor as a long term cigar storage solution. My first question to ask, and it may seem naive as it is: Will cigar storing in a coolerdor age over time or does it have to be in a Spanish Cedar lined humidor for the cigar to age correctly ?

Secondly, I know next to nothing in how to build a coolerdor. I purchase a cooler, a 120 quarts size, from Academy Sport store a couple week ago and have been searching the Internet for some helpful information on how to build the coolerdor. Do I need to line the inside coolerdor with Spanish Cedar wood ? I have some Spanish Cedar Sheet from old cigar boxes that comes as the dividers and hoping this would work. I also am wondering that if I should break the old cigar boxes and then line the inside cooler with the individual sheet of the cigar boxes (broken up by the sides) and then may be stapled or glue the Spanish Cedar divider on top of the old cigar boxes side. And lastly, can I leave the drain hole of the coolerdor open so that fresh air can at least circulate in and out of the coolerdor ?

I want to thank all the members of the Forum ahead and looking forward to your advices and experiences on how to build the coolerdor. Any advice would help and greatly aprreciated.

Hello Anguyen and welcome to CP.
You will find all the info you need to build your coolerdor from the very knowledgable people in this forum.
Good idea first though is to properly introduce yourself in the lobby.
Another good idea is to go to the search section of the forum and type in igloodor, coolerdor or coolidor.......lots of info their also.
Good Luck :)

Cooler + Climaxx beads = done.

You can be fancier and do the spanish cedar and all that... but for your cut and dry coolerdors, the above works well. At least for me. :thumbs:

I agree, not an absolute necessity, but it looks nice and sure does leave a good aroma when you open up your stash. :D I'm currently using a rubbermaid tuppedor and have found little to no difference between the cigars that I store in the tuppedor, versus the ones I have in the humidor. I also have a 95 quart rubbermaid that I'm looking forward to filling up this summer. I'll have to wait until May to get climmax beads and begin to prep it. Best of luck-let us know how you're doing on this. Welcome to CP!

Welcome anguyen1107!!

vewy summed it up in three words or less:
Cooler + Climaxx beads = done.

I personally prefer NOT to line the inside with any kind of cedar, I just store the cigars in cedar boxes which accomplishes two things:

1. Makes storage and organization "vewy" easy :D
2. You get just as much if not more of that pleasant cedar aroma from the boxes as you would from any kind of cedar lining scheme

120 quart is a nice size, that's what I have.

Yeah.. if you have the room and a set place, go with the 120qt. I only got a 60qt and even though its the right size for where I have it sitting I really, REALLY wish I got a 120qt and will probally get one eventually. ;)

Just my two cents. I got a cooler from Wal-Mart for $16, some spanish ceder from Home Depot for about $20, heavy duty velcro $8. Cut the wood and lined the cooler w/it using the heavy duty velcro. Got a huge brick of oasis foam from the local hobby and craft store. Made my own 50/50 juice. Slapped the whole thing together and for under 75 dollars I had a nice sized humidor.

I eventually bought another Hygrometer for it and I haven't had a problem with it or my sticks. I've had it for about a year now and everything in there is in good shape. It was a lot of fun to build too. :D