• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

After much research I think i'm ready for my first coolidor

DemonAlcohol

So I started with a 20 cnt Greycliff humidor that came with the new 1666 Greycliff flight sampler a little while ago on CI.com. My friend and I split a sampler of Acid, and I got about 25 more cigars through the newbie sampler thread. My 20cnt right now has about 25 in it and i've got another dozen in a pyrex container with a sponge of distilled water inside a sandwich bag. Now i've gotten to the point where I kinda have an idea of what type of cigars I like, so i'm looking to buy a box or two. BIG THANKS TO YOGIMON FOR SENDING ME SOME FREE BOXES! Local B&M has ridiculous prices on empty boxes.

I'm gunna need more room, so I thought i'd get started on the Coolidor. Later on i'm sure i'll upgrade to a 80-120qt, but for right now i'm gunna use a 16qt i've had laying around not doing anything. I'm pretty sure I got this down, I just want to outline the steps I'm going to take to make sure i'm not missing something. I think i'll go with the Silica kitty litter (assuming I can find some in the area).

1. It's been cleaned and it doesn't smell like plastic
2. Measure enough kitty litter to fit inside a small glad-ware container (the kind cheap lunch meat comes in). Pour it in the bottom of the cooler, then set a clean sponge full of distilled water inside of the glad container in the middle of the litter. Stir once a day. Wait for it to stabilize at 65%. I've read for distilled water it only takes a week compared to 2 weeks using the 50/50 water/propylene glycol.
3. Once stable, pour the littler into the container, poke some holes in the lid and fill 'er up!

Anything i'm missing? Are any type of wooden cigar boxes ok? Or must they be cedar? Is it ok to throw the cigars in the box and close 'em or should I leave them open?

I would put the kitty litter in panty hose then tie end in a knot. This creates more surface area and quicker recovery time after coolidor has been opened. You will also need to season the empty boxes. I would put empty boxes boxes, kitty litter and a small bowl of water in coolidor and leave it in there until every thing stabilizes to 65% then add cigars. Guys correct me if this is not correct.

Well I got the kitty litter to stay at around 73% by itself. I threw in the boxes you gave me (thanks again, all of them but 1 fit perfectly inside my small ice chest) along with the litter, the little disc thing with distilled water/gycol and a water pillow that I got as part of a sampler from CI.com. If i'm correct, the litter and the boxes will absorb any excess humidity from the pillow and the disc is supposed to stay at 70%. I'll check it tomorrow and see how it is.