• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Aged Bolivars...

Mike33

When I first started getting into smoking, I wasn't really into the Bolivar brand. I had some good RCs, but nothing that made me a fan. Ever since my first GMs though, I have been impressed with the whole lineup. The recent stuff has been good, including the REs for the most part, but the aged stuff has been absolutely incredible.

All of the aged bolis have been remarkably consistent, no matter the year. The cigars have all been full-bodied and somewhat strong, though not as much so as the GMs. The profile is much the same as young cigars, but the earthiness is more subdued and the "creaminess" and leather are more pronounced. The best examples I have had are '99 CGs from dress boxes, '97 CGs from cabs, and '98 RCs. The '98 PCs and '99 CEs are also very, very good. There is a lot of talk about how well the marca ages, and I have to agree. While my favorite marca is still Ramon Allones, Bolivar has moved into a solid second due to the aged stuff. I still think there are better brands when it comes to recent production, such as Partagas. I am interested to hear others' thoughts about the how the brand ages and how it compares to other brands...

I agree with the 99 BCE. These smokes are fantastic and I just had one a couple nights ago and realized I better stop giving these away. :)

When I first started getting into smoking, I wasn't really into the Bolivar brand. I had some good RCs, but nothing that made me a fan. Ever since my first GMs though, I have been impressed with the whole lineup. The recent stuff has been good, including the REs for the most part, but the aged stuff has been absolutely incredible.

All of the aged bolis have been remarkably consistent, no matter the year. The cigars have all been full-bodied and somewhat strong, though not as much so as the GMs. The profile is much the same as young cigars, but the earthiness is more subdued and the "creaminess" and leather are more pronounced. The best examples I have had are '99 CGs from dress boxes, '97 CGs from cabs, and '98 RCs. The '98 PCs and '99 CEs are also very, very good. There is a lot of talk about how well the marca ages, and I have to agree. While my favorite marca is still Ramon Allones, Bolivar has moved into a solid second due to the aged stuff. I still think there are better brands when it comes to recent production, such as Partagas. I am interested to hear others' thoughts about the how the brand ages and how it compares to other brands...

I don't have much to add as I've never smoked an aged Boli, but you make them sound so good I'm going to have to search some out and stop smoking the Boili's I have.

This has evolved to be my go-to marca for a reliable quality smoke. The older stuff is great too, and most of it pretty reasonably priced (caveat: older BGM ldo).

I am an absolute Boli whore. :D

I've loved the Bolivar line from the very first smoke. That caramel, roasted nut creaminess with a medium to medium-full strength just fits my palate perfectly. I've been smoking 98 CE's and the first third is decent, but close to half way is the sweet spot that is just fantastic. I've also been smoking a few Boli CJ's from '05 that are excellent IMO. And, a cab of Boli PC's from 07 that are azz kickers, but incredible from beginning to end. These 07's actually get me a bit woozy. I'd really like to get hold of some more BBF's as I ran out of them a while back. If I had my choice though, I'd have an endless supply of Boli tubos no. 2! ;)

Prior to my Cohiba conversion several years back, the Bolivar was my favorite cigar, mainly the Corona Gigante. It's been quite sometime since I've had a CG, but had bought several cabinets of '97's around '99 that were some of the best cigars I've had, as far as consitency. The cabs were all the same date and factory code and each cigar was near perfect. The Gold Medals from Christoph a few years back were awesome cigars and were/are classic Bolivar flavors, IMHO.

Prior to my Cohiba conversion several years back, the Bolivar was my favorite cigar, mainly the Corona Gigante. It's been quite sometime since I've had a CG, but had bought several cabinets of '97's around '99 that were some of the best cigars I've had, as far as consitency. The cabs were all the same date and factory code and each cigar was near perfect. The Gold Medals from Christoph a few years back were awesome cigars and were/are classic Bolivar flavors, IMHO.

Would this happen to be a Wolters BGM that you are referring to?? DO those look the same as the current release BGM's how do they taste in comparison?

I have to say that most of the Boli's I have tried have been excellent and very consistent and age gracefully.

I agree, Matt. The '04 BGMs are special cigars.

I have '99 BRCs that are interesting. Not strong or in your face (like some older Bolivars), but full of flavor. I've had 70s and 80s BPCs and BRCs that are phenomenal. I had a '93 BBF that was damn good too.

The '01 OSU BBFs are in a sweet spot right now...and still available. ;)

Would this happen to be a Wolters BGM that you are referring to?? DO those look the same as the current release BGM's how do they taste in comparison?

I have to say that most of the Boli's I have tried have been excellent and very consistent and age gracefully.

Yes, Matt is referring to the Wolters BGM. They have the same presentation, but are stronger...much stronger. I haven't had many '06-'08 BGMs, but rote memory tells me that the GKI DIC04 Wolters BGM is much stronger.

I have '99 BRCs that are interesting. Not strong or in your face (like some older Bolivars), but full of flavor. I've had 70s and 80s BPCs and BRCs that are phenomenal. I had a '93 BBF that was damn good too.

Show off :angry: :laugh:

Show off :angry: :laugh:

I know what to pack for you in April. :sign:

Rob I just talked to Santa and he assured me he IS sending a bee costume for the dog. Just as an FYI

Never had one of the Wolter's release, but I can't recall anything other than rave reviews being levied on them. I can only hope that the present GM release turns out to be as good. I'm still trying to figure out how the current release will rate in 5 or 10 years time. I really think they have been the best new, regular release out of Cuba in last several years.

I had a '93 BBF that was damn good too

I recently got some '92 BBFs Rob, hopefully they are as good as the '93 you had :cool:

Never had one of the Wolter's release, but I can't recall anything other than rave reviews being levied on them. I can only hope that the present GM release turns out to be as good. I'm still trying to figure out how the current release will rate in 5 or 10 years time. I really think they have been the best new, regular release out of Cuba in last several years.

I recently got some '92 BBFs Rob, hopefully they are as good as the '93 you had :cool:

Mike I couldn't agree with you more on the current release BGM. They are really top notch and as the prices are dropping they are becoming a hell of a good deal too. I was happy paying the asking price before but now they are becoming my go-to.

You guys and your ISOM experience is ridiculous. I am just starting down this path and from the few I have had, I've not been steered wrong.

Bolivar are one of my favs. I recently smoked a well aged PC and it was simply phemominal. I recently snagged a supply of BBF from 93 and I look forward to trying one soon. Thanks for bringing this up I just may have to smoke a RC tonight.

Jim

Mike I couldn't agree with you more on the current release BGM. They are really top notch and as the prices are dropping they are becoming a hell of a good deal too. I was happy paying the asking price before but now they are becoming my go-to.

Exactly, the price before was reasonable and now they are a bargain imo. It really beats stocking up on the new 50+ ring gauge REs that are priced way too high.