• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Aged cigars

cajunblaze

I am really a newbie to cigars and did a search and really could not find the information I was looking for, so here it goes.
I understand that there are premium brands of cigars. As these cigars get older their value increases. The more limited production the higher the value also.
Do people buy boxes of these, smoke a couple then age the rest?
Also, If you buy a not so special premium smoke or a more common cigar such as a Cohiba Black. Will the value go up with age?
When buying such cigars do you label their age?
Can a more common and not a premium cigar become a premium over time?
Thanks Cajunblaze

I am really a newbie to cigars and did a search and really could not find the information I was looking for, so here it goes.
I understand that there are premium brands of cigars. As these cigars get older their value increases. The more limited production the higher the value also.
Do people buy boxes of these, smoke a couple then age the rest? - Some do.
Also, If you buy a not so special premium smoke or a more common cigar such as a Cohiba Black. Will the value go up with age? - It depends on the market and quality as it ages. (see below re: 'rare')
When buying such cigars do you label their age? - Mostly, yes. But most of mine have box codes! :laugh:
Can a more common and not a premium cigar become a premium over time? - Good question, I'd say no...just 'rare', which may mean more expensive.
Thanks Cajunblaze

In general,

1) Only top-line cuban or extremely rare non-cuban cigars increase in value with age. Age of a certain cigar is validated by the appropriate box code, which lists the factory and date of production.

2) Premium cigars are "premium" because of the quality of the blend, quality of production or construction, exclusivity, price, and last but not least marketing.

Aging is a part of the production process, but a lot of the "aging" time goes into the leaves before rolling (as the manufacturer has to sit on a large quantity of tobacco for a long time to make up a production run) and so isn't necessarily relevant.

3) That said, you can improve (some to most) cigars by aging them. Don't expect them to increase in value, but they will smoke better. Age can also ruin a good cigar, through inappropriate storage conditions, mold, beetles, or plain old time.

To sum it up: cigars are a bad investment. But they smoke much better than your Bear Stearns or Enron share certificates. Enjoy.

I am not looking for an investment opportunity. I am just trying to build my collection of cigars the right way from the start.
Right now I am buying alot of singles to try out new smokes. I was just wondering if it would be a good idea to buy fivers and save a couple for a rounded collection later. I might not like a particular smoke now, but as time goes by my taste may change, from what I have read.

To sum it up: cigars are a bad investment. But they smoke much better than your Bear Stearns or Enron share certificates. Enjoy.

That is pretty funny!! :laugh:

Thanks for all the responses,
Rich

Does "search" make for an enlightened CP member?

Do people buy boxes of these, smoke a couple then age the rest? - Some do.
Also, If you buy a not so special premium smoke or a more common cigar such as a Cohiba Black. Will the value go up with age? - It depends on the market and quality as it ages. (see below re: 'rare')
When buying such cigars do you label their age? - Mostly, yes. But most of mine have box codes! :laugh:
Can a more common and not a premium cigar become a premium over time? - Good question, I'd say no...just 'rare', which may mean more expensive.
Thanks Cajunblaze

They make cigars that have box codes on the box where???? :laugh:

Best Regards
Don

Also, If you buy a not so special premium smoke or a more common cigar such as a Cohiba Black. Will the value go up with age?
Thanks Cajunblaze

you seek the destination without having experienced the journey, grasshopper.........

:D :D :rolleyes:

you seek the destination without having experienced the journey, grasshopper.........

Exactly.

My opinion is that quality tobacco will age and become "better" as in more complex. I don't believe that age always means a better smoking experience though. A young Opus is very different than an aged one, but sometimes it is nice to have a freshie. It's all about figuring it out for yourself.

Thanks Cajunblaze

I don’t want to hijack the thread but along the ageing line, what changes in the taste of a cigar when aged? Does it become stronger, milder, smoother? Do the flavors change?

I ask because I have now had some cigars in my humidor for one year. Two in particular I have noticed a considerable change. Both have become milder. The two cigars are the JR Ultimate Toro and the HdM Dark Sumatra Ebano.

When I bought 5 packs of these, I thought the JR was horrible. About six months later I tried another and it was not as bad. I just recently tried one more and it was considerably milder and smoother than the two previous ones and not a bad smoke.

The HdM sat in the humi about three months before I got around to one. It was very good. I smoked another about two months after that and that one was also very good. The third, now with a year on it was smoked a few weeks ago and it was considerably milder than the first two and was a little disappointing. Thus the question. Do all cigars get milder/smoother with age? What changes that makes them so much “better”?

I'm in the same boat as most of you. I would just buy a lot of samplers and individual sticks to see what I liked. It wasn't til this summer when I started buying boxes that I liked to smoke and I will age though in my humidor. As far as labeling them, the boxes I have also come with box codes in them so I know when I got them. What I've heard a lot of people would do was write the date that they got them so they would know. I don't label singles though, since I smoke them to quick, although I still have a Casa Fuente from January.

I am not looking for an investment opportunity. I am just trying to build my collection of cigars the right way from the start.
Right now I am buying alot of singles to try out new smokes. I was just wondering if it would be a good idea to buy fivers and save a couple for a

Not a bad idea, but to start off, why don't you try a newbie sampler? Cigarpass has EXCELLENT newbie samplers available from senior members. I'm still trying cigars that were sent as part of mine.

As for storing cigars for the future, there will be cigars available when you want them. Perhaps even better ones. So buy what you like.

A cigar often improves with age when stored properly, but if you store a dog turd, you just get an older dog turd.

Is this for real or some noob hasing thing, either way i have to ask "what the hell did i miss". WTF?