• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Aghh, drop my notebook computer

jeht2000

bodybuilder for life
Here's my little rant.

Long story short. A little over a week ago I dropped my computer. Took it to a shop last friday and not only did I have to call them thursday, but he goes from it possibly being a problem with some board (don't know which one) or possible screen damage to talking about my hard drive and not being able to recover the data!! He also said he would call me back friday and let me know definitely but he never did. The part that's pissing me off is that we go from a hundred and fifty dollar problem to a TOTAL loss!!!!! :angry:

Hey bro,

When you get your machine back, give me a holler, maybe I can help you at least recover your data.

A few questions:
1: was the machine on when you dropped it?
2: what happened when you tried to boot after the failure?
3: Windows XP / 2000 / 98? Mac?

Let me know either here or in PM, I'll be happy to try and help.

~Rob

Just went through this when the kids spilled some water on the coffee table. Luckily, renters insurance covered everything w/o a deductible. Good luck on getting yours fixed or at least the data back, though. :)

How high of a drop and, like Mysterea said, was it on? If the drive was in the process of spinning, it could be damaged. If it was a short drop, I would be surprised if the system board was damaged. Would it turn on at all, any errors you can share, etc?

It seems like I go through this almost once a year. Either it be hard drive failure, fried logic board. Just two days ago, my macbook that i had for a year, harddrive failed on me. Apple had it fixed and back to me that day. A while ago I bought a 250gb external harddrive, this thing has saved my life. Backup my important files, 40gb music library, and anything new i don't want to lose. You never know when your laptop is going to slip out of your hands or just plain stops working. I highly suggest getting some sort of external drive and making regular back ups. It saves a lot of headaches.

Capt., now I know. Hopefully, I'll never get caught like this again.

To the other guys, the computer was turned off when I dropped it. It fell about 3-4ft on the screen side. No visible damage to the screen. When I tried to turn it on, the power light came on and something would spin one time and thats it. When I first talked to the repair guy he said that whatever shots the power to the screen might have been damaged, but now they are saying that the hard drive was damaged also. That's what really thru me for a loop. I'm still waiting for the reason for it not powering up all the way. Now I'm stuck with the old desk top!

Hey buddy,

When you get your machine back from these dudes shoot me a call, or PM, I want to chat with you about this.
If your machine was off at the time, the drive's heads were locked. I'd be really surprised if there was enough force to bust the drive while it's in a locked position. You never know, but I might be able to help.

TTYL
Rob

Man mine got tossed aross a room, and put a hole in the wall, and shattered the screen and of course the case. I bought the same non-working model off of Ebay for 150 and swapped all the parts out, Took 4 hrs. I got a new laptop for 150 bucks, might be worth looking into, and it was on at the time, so the previous owner told me. The orginal cost was 3000, hell of a deal. Most laptops these days are all snap together, almost like leggos. It may sound intimidating but I got a screwdriver set from Radio Shack cleared off the dinning room table and went to town. I figured I had nothing to lose. Something to think about.

Shane

If youall are now thinking of buying an external drive because of this post..

www.passwird.com had a post on the 29th for a 500 gig external drive for 100$

This is off last week (check the archive link for the week of May 27th)

Cavalry 500GB 7200RPM USB 2.0 External Hard Drive $99.95 shipped after rebate at Buy.com
Buy.com has the Cavalry 500GB 7200RPM USB 2.0 External Hard Drive at $129.95 - exclusive $30 rebate = $99.95 with Free Budget Shipping. BUY.COM

New customers can use the $5 off $50 coupon.

Next lowest price on PriceGrabber is $134.80.

~R

If youall are now thinking of buying an external drive because of this post..

www.passwird.com had a post on the 29th for a 500 gig external drive for 100$

This is off last week (check the archive link for the week of May 27th)

Cavalry 500GB 7200RPM USB 2.0 External Hard Drive $99.95 shipped after rebate at Buy.com
Buy.com has the Cavalry 500GB 7200RPM USB 2.0 External Hard Drive at $129.95 - exclusive $30 rebate = $99.95 with Free Budget Shipping. BUY.COM

New customers can use the $5 off $50 coupon.

Next lowest price on PriceGrabber is $134.80.

~R

Good deal...also, you can get $10 off if you use google checkout.