• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Aging non Cubans

Renefatdude

The Flying Dutchman
Hello,

Do NC cigars improve with aging, just like Cubans do?
If so which marcas?

Your thoughts on this subject are appreciated,

Thanks Rene

A tobacco leaf is a tobacco leaf, therefore the simple answer is "yes".

The little more detailed answer is "yes, but it depends on the cigar and the type of tobacco used". For example, don't expect to age a bundle of yard gars and in 8 years be smoking a Padron 26. The converse is also true - you're also not going to take a bargain CC and turn it into gold in 8 years.

The complex answer is "maybe, it depends on a multitude of variables such as marca, vitola, storage conditions, and type of tobacco used." Since the underlying assumption in your question is that tobacco from country of origin "A" somehow gets inherently better with age, then tobacco from country of origin B must get inherently "better" with age.

A tobacco leaf is a tobacco leaf, therefore the simple answer is "yes".

The little more detailed answer is "yes, but it depends on the cigar and the type of tobacco used". For example, don't expect to age a bundle of yard gars and in 8 years be smoking a Padron 26.

The complex answer is "maybe, it depends on a multitude of variables such as marca, vitola, storage conditions, and type of tobacco used." Since the underlying assumption in your question is that tobacco from country of origin "A" somehow gets inherently better with age, then tobacco from country of origin B must get inherently "better" with age.

I ask because there is a lot of experience with aging of Cuban cigars and the effects of aging on them.
And there is an on going topic on one of the Dutch forums and there is not a lot of people in Europe that have first hand experience with aging nc's.
Thats why I ask you guys, because I bet those people are hanging out here! :laugh:

Rene

Lest we forget the overwhelming preconceptions and resulting psychosomatic effects caused by knowing one is smoking a vintage cigar.

Edit because I forgot to say something:

To clear the air, I'm not stating "all tobacco is created equal" when I said, A tobacco leaf is a tobacco leaf, therefore the simple answer is "yes". This is where country of origin comes into play. Different growing regions have the potential to create glaring differences and subtle nuances from tobacco to tobacco.

Great answers Jlada. Tobacco ages. Find the kind of tabacco that tastes good to you at whatever age.

This is one of those yes and no answers because yes they can improve with age but what do you like: aged or fresh. I prefer some cigars to be smoked right out of the box while others are much better with a few years on them.

One example, RASCC, an ok smoke in recent production but with a few years on it, it really develops. VR, great fresh but after 7-8yrs they mellow out way too much, IMO. Although I haven't had the chance to experiment a whole lot with NC's, as stated, tobacco is tobacco but it all comes down to what you like.

All organic things, tobacco leaf included, improve with age. That is to say... they "ripen" when they reach maturity. Then, just like people, their physical characteristics decline with advanced age. It's to each our own as to when in something's life it displays its best attributes.

edit to add, and previously left out 'cause I thought it bordered on the obvious:
The better the source material, and the better the aging conditions, the better can be expected of the outcome. Genetics and environment count for a whole lot in cigars and in most other things I can think of.

One thing to remember is that most NC cigars are already aged, compared to CC ones, which tend to get shipped pretty young.

Probably one of the most sublime cigars I've ever had was a CC RyJ with 5 years of careful aging on it . . . but right up there with it was an Anejo 55 with only a year of humi time.

I tend to think really strongly flavored cigars, ones with lots of heavy spice or dark bean flavors, will age better than most. But I have zero patience for such things, so at this point it's just a theory. :laugh:

~Boar

I have personally experienced the improvement of many NC cigars with age. Most of my cigars were purchased between '04 & '06. IMO, most cigars improve greatly with a few years on them but there are a few that I can't tell a difference. I have some La Floriditas (yardgars) that have noteably improved, & of course we all know how Opus ages. There are a few Padrons and Fuentes that I can't really tell any difference though.

One thing for sure. A few years of age will not hurt any cigar that is stored properly. I have had a few cigars that I believe had too much age on them and were past thier prime, both NC & CC.

I'm experimenting with it right now...including keeping a box of Tatuaje Havana Cazadores in the foil and seeing how they do.

I'll let you know my results in a few years.

Thanks! for your input on this matter :D
Now lets see if I can put some Padron's and Fuente's away for 5 years ;)

Rene

One to watch is Ashton VSG. Several guys I know think they get flat over a year or so old. Others say not much change for better or worse.

Maybe try a couple, but don't throw a whole box in storage.

Hello,

If so which marcas?

Thanks Rene

They are all cigars. Aging cigars may or may not improve their taste to you -- taste is very subjective. Cuban cigars are not some special class of cigars any more than French wine is a special class of wine.

The question is tantamount to asking "Do Californian wines improve with aging, just like French wines do?" and the answer is... it depends (in both cases). The country of origin is irrelevant.

Also beware of people who tell you that XXX cigar has an expiration date, past which it dies. Usually they have not had that many of said cigar from various boxes from the same year, and are instead basing their judgement on a single cigar or what they overheard somewhere.

One to watch is Ashton VSG. Several guys I know think they get flat over a year or so old. Others say not much change for better or worse.

I disagree. The VSG "Rounds" from 1997 are still smoking fantastic, for example.

Hello,

If so which marcas?

Thanks Rene

They are all cigars. Aging cigars may or may not improve their taste to you -- taste is very subjective. Cuban cigars are not some special class of cigars any more than French wine is a special class of wine.

The question is tantamount to asking "Do Californian wines improve with aging, just like French wines do?" and the answer is... it depends (in both cases). The country of origin is irrelevant.

Also beware of people who tell you that XXX cigar has an expiration date, past which it dies. Usually they have not had that many of said cigar from various boxes from the same year, and are instead basing their judgement on a single cigar or what they overheard somewhere.

I disagree. The VSG "Rounds" from 1997 are still smoking fantastic, for example.

I don't believe that for a moment.....you would have to send me some to smoke for me to buy that! :whistling:

After reading about aged Padrons here many times, I've had great luck with Padron 5000 maduros after about 6 months or so. It's a great cigar that becomes amazing. As previously stated though, taste is subjective. The Padrons themselves say their cigars don't benefit from aging and are best straight out of the factory. I'd say try both and see what you like.

I have a box of Ashton VSG Belis that I bought about two years ago. I am trying to to be patient enough to age them until 2012. I'll let you know then how my experiment turns out. :cool:

After reading about aged Padrons here many times, I've had great luck with Padron 5000 maduros after about 6 months or so. It's a great cigar that becomes amazing. As previously stated though, taste is subjective. The Padrons themselves say their cigars don't benefit from aging and are best straight out of the factory. I'd say try both and see what you like.

I have a box of Ashton VSG Belis that I bought about two years ago. I am trying to to be patient enough to age them until 2012. I'll let you know then how my experiment turns out.
cool.gif

Sorry to dredge up an old thread but seeing how the last post is pertinent to this year, how'd that turn out for you? (I'm going through threads trying to decide what box to buy for some long term aging, like 10 years or so)

Funny you should bump this thread... that box of cigars was re-designated for my second daughter's arrival, which was September '10. I now smoke one every birthday and Fathers' Day. This past smoke on Fathers' Day was fantastic. I found it smooth with only some slight pepper and a bit of sweetness... the word "caramel" was jotted in my notes.

I think these guys are prime right now. Ten years might be a bit much for them. I can let you know in 2017.