• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Aging OpusX's

FatherTiresius

Watcher of the Skies
I've heard a few people say they like their Opuses best fresh out of the box. I've got a few that are a little over a year old that I've been saving to test that theory. I was wondering what everyone's opinion was. Are they better fresh or with some age? If the latter, how much age?

I gotta be honest... I don't have near the experience with those high priced sons-'o-guns to answer that one. Matter-o-fact, I've never bought one. They've all come as gifts, or passes or gifts in passes. I'm also interested in this one as I have a few 'resting' as well. :)

I've never really noticed them getting any better after a year.JMO. I would wonder about the 3-5 year span...that would be interesting to get an opinion on that also. They do seem to be a cigar that always smokes very well fresh outta the box. :)

I spoke with the regional Fuente Rep a few weeks back...from what he told me it sounded like all the tobacco Fuente uses is aged quite a long time before it is even rolled...that may have something to do with it. He said on a visit and tour of the farm and rolling facilities last year...Carlito told him the Don Carlos was being rolled from 94' stock and that even the regular line of Fuentes were rolled with 4-5 year old tobacco. That's just what the dude told me...take it for what it's worth.

I had a PL this weekend that was old. I don't know how old, but the cello was so yellow and sticky, it practically had to be peeled off. It may have been the best stick I've ever smoked. I have smoked several fresh, and found them all to have burn issues, probably because of the heavy leaf wrapper. IMHO, they smoke much better with some age on them, the more the better.