• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Aging time

Snowdust

SnowNYet
I read alot about those who like to bury them deep and put some age on them. How long are we talking about to be able to notice. I know alot of boxes come quite wet and are probally better after drying out a bit, but when do you find you can notice a significant difference, particular with domestics.

Snowdust said:
I read alot about those who like to bury them deep and put some age on them. How long are we talking about to be able to notice. I know alot of boxes come quite wet and are probally better after drying out a bit, but when do you find you can notice a significant difference, particular with domestics.
This is a questions that applies differently to each person depending on their own tastes. For instance, when receiving cigars from JR's, I almost never smoke one of the truck unless it looks like it is very old. Some times I just have to try one if it is a new release. Otherwise they go in the fridge and don't get looked at for 4-6 weeks. Then I try one, if it good with little or no amonia, I start smoking them. If I do get a sick cigar, they go to the back of the fridge for another 3-4 months minimum.
On average, I notice a change in taste of all my cigars bought from JR's at 6-9 months. I am thinking this how long it take the cigars to dry and start to realease gases and oils.
Cigars that are bought from other sources seem to fare better. I am thinking it may be because they dont sell as fast so spend time on the self before getting shipped to me. The other thing is the quality of cigar I buy from other retailers is significantly higher. Therefore they need no aging to be smokable.
I think it boils down to knowing your cigars and retailers.

Emo

Even as little as 6 months makes a noticeable difference to me in some cases. A year will almost always result in a noticeable difference. With most of the domestics I smoke 1 to 2 years seems to significantly reduce or even completely eliminate any harshness or bitterness.

-One year minimum on Cubans
-6 months to one year on fresh Domestics
-One week on aged Cubans and Domestics

I'm starting to develop a system w/ the fresh ISOM's. I'll get a few of a certain type and smoke one after a week of settling to get an idea where its headed. If I like it I'll then put the remainder of them to bed for a year. If not, they're up for trade.

Pretty much everything needs a week in your humi after it has been shipped. This lets things stabilize.