• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Air travel and your palate....

Scap

Anyone ever notice their palates getting wrecked after flying?

My palate just isn't the same after my flight back from Italy.

I've had two cigars, and neither tasted like I thought they should. They have seemed bitter and flavorless.

It's frustrating, to say the least.

*No head cold and no sinus issues, at the moment, to indicate it could be something unrelated.

Anyone ever notice their palates getting wrecked after flying?

My palate just isn't the same after my flight back from Italy.

I've had two cigars, and neither tasted like I thought they should. They have seemed bitter and flavorless.

It's frustrating, to say the least.

*No head cold and no sinus issues, at the moment, to indicate it could be something unrelated.

I believe there absolutely is a change...I experience it all the time.

“You can't taste sweetness or saltiness nearly as well on an airplane due to altitude and pressure, as well as a lack of humidity. Cabin air also decreases your ability to smell, and tasting is as much about your nasal passages as it is your taste buds. Even the noise that jet engines produce can impact your tongue...”

This “lingers” on, depending on the length of your flight, for days...

http://blog.jetblue.com/why-does-food-taste-different-on-an-airplane/

“You can't taste sweetness or saltiness nearly as well on an airplane due to altitude and pressure, as well as a lack of humidity. Cabin air also decreases your ability to smell, and tasting is as much about your nasal passages as it is your taste buds. Even the noise that jet engines produce can impact your tongue...”

thank you for this. I don't travel frequently but when I do it is good to note these changes. TBH there has not been a whole lot of overseas travel in my lifetime 'yet.' But good to keep record of what could affect it and be prepared. Thanks!

I read a similar article last night. It's truly amazing how jacked up everything tastes. Even my coffee tastes off.

It's been about 6 years since I've flown a manned aircraft with any regularity. I don't remember ever noticing a palate change... honestly some of the most memorable cigars I've ever smoked were while I was still part of a flying squadron on the line.

There's very likely something to this though, simply because "taste" incorporates to many variables. I wish you'd posted this about 7 years ago, Scap… I could conducted an experiment! :p

Completely off topic, but I can tell you from experience you don't want to hop off a plane and head to the recording studio and try to mix anything. Your hearing will be sketchy for at least a day, usually two.....

Completely off topic, but I can tell you from experience you don't want to hop off a plane and head to the recording studio and try to mix anything. Your hearing will be sketchy for at least a day, usually two.....

If I don't snort Afrin before a flight I'm rendered deaf while at elevation. The ear pain during descent is excruciating, and is mildly relieved by the Afrin.
Please note: This is the only time I'll touch Afrin. I'm too scared to use it any other time.

Needless to say, if I can drive somewhere in a reasonable amount of time, I'm not gonna fly.

On a side note, express elevators and diving deeper than about 10'-12' hurt too.