• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Airline Info.

STARDOGG

Reaction score
I will be visiting a friend in the next few months from the west coast. Since i am sure there are many members here that are frequent flyers i am looking for reputable sites/info on where to get a good deal on airline tix? I am aware of many online sites but i am sure that there are many more that i'm unfamiliar with. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated :thumbs:

Just read the info on the link. Why the hell would anyone book a ticket to san jose when they're flying into san fran? And why did he notice that AFTER he booked the ticket and not BEFORE? When I book a tkt somewhere, I check and re-check the itinerary before booking it. Common sense....

All the online sites are about the same. Make sure you compare either before or after the fees. I know that Southwest only books through their website and they can have really good prices especially if you get them early. Several years ago I was getting round trip from Little Rock to L.A. for $250.

Whatever you do, check the same flight on the actual airline's website or through their reservation service. Of the 6 or 7 times I've flown in the last several years, I was only able to beat the airline's offer once.

If you're looking for a flight/hotel/rental car or something it's different.

This is all flying out of this God forsaken craphole, though. YMMV.

Whatever you do, check the same flight on the actual airline's website or through their reservation service. Of the 6 or 7 times I've flown in the last several years, I was only able to beat the airline's offer once.

If you're looking for a flight/hotel/rental car or something it's different.

This is all flying out of this God forsaken craphole, though. YMMV.

:laugh: You're in a feisty mood today Alan! Assload, God forsaken craphole, what's next?!?! :laugh:

Fwiw STARDOGG (copyright infringer!), my wifey swears by Travelocity. IDK, but hen I went to KC, I got like 5 websites open and booked the same flight on all 5 and whichever one was the cheapest at checkout, I pulled the trigger on. It takes some time, but oh well.

It takes a few extra steps and thorough due diligence to save some cash over the internet - travel included.... but it can be done.

1) Input your travel parameters through one of the large search engines like Kayak (my personal favorite). They will tell you the total cost (inclusive of taxes and fees) and actual flight plans for your itinerary on all major airlines, sans Southwest (which opts out of third party searches) and I think JetBlue as well. Makes it really simple to compare apples to apples. For potential added savings, if any portion of your trip doesn't have to precisely begin or end at a particular airport, I will click on the "include nearby airports" icon. For potential added convenience, I will also re-run my itinerary in two separate one-way segments, with an eye on using different airlines for each trip direction. Maybe one airline will take you there at the time you want, but another airline's return schedule is more convenient for you. Oh, and Kayak has icon check-off boxes for you to compare their searches vs those of the well known discount sites (Orbitz, Expedia, Priceline, etc).

So now you've got yourself a benchmark price and schedule.

2) Go to an airline discount site like Compete 4 Your Seat (my personal favorite). You gotta register for this one. You then input your flight parameter and send it off. In time (should be less than a day), ticket brokers may post a fare and itinerary for your stated flight parameters. The part I really like is.... it won't be "opaque". Meaning, the "bid" will tell you exactly which flight numbers, on exactly which airlines, exact times, etc they will book your travel for. And the price should be listed in full - no hidden fees and charges. The travel agent sites will likely be unfamiliar to you, but you can pay with credit card - which should have extensive consumer protections.

Now you know if you can squeeze a few bucks cheaper outta the deal

3) Go directly to the airlines' websites. The ones you've decided you liked their prices and schedules. The two aforementioned sites will tell you which exact flight numbers and prices they wanna give you so it shouldn't be too difficult to compare those directly with the airlines. If the airlines' rates are comparable - then I always book directly with them. I just trust them more. And you get frequent flyer miles and choice of available seat assignments with them. If the airlines' sites reflect higher prices, enough to make you think twice, then I go with the budget travel. I've never had any problems whatsoever with booking any budget travel, but I really do trust direct booking over unknown third party sites, and you have to weigh peace of mind when you fork over your dough and credit card numbers.

Hope this helps

And, finally, check out travel oriented forums like Flyertalk for similar questions.

CHECK, DOUBLE Check the AM and PM!! Orbitch got me once on that after booking a ticket, even though I was half drunk and it was late, it was still their fault :)

I've had decent luck with expedia in the past. Pretty much now though, I just go to the major airlines sites, and shop prices on my own. Spirit is usually least expensive but I do recommend the big front seat if you can justify the extra cost. The only airline i refuse to fly is southwest, and mainly because i fly alot with the wife, and she had a crappy experience with them...so we just never look there.