• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Airplane pressurization question

yangster

Greetings. Newbie here so please bear with me. I read a response on travel but now I can't find it to ask some questions. It said to carry on your cigars and not check them because the baggage area is not pressurized and it will take a while for the cigars to taste right. I don't question the carryon advise. It's the pressurization and not tasting right. What does this do the taste? Also, I'm now getting my cigars through the mail/ups and these are generally sent via plane. So the dilemna is does it make a differance. Also, wouldn't this have an effect on passes. If you send these 2nd day or overnight, would you be messing them up? These are probably stupid questions, but I've searched and can't find any real answers. Hopefully I'm not being too much of a geek asking these questions.

The two worries I have when putting cigars in checked baggage are theft by the very people charged with keeping our airways safe, and the fact that it is often nearly impossible to get my otterbox open after the trip.

The two worries I have when putting cigars in checked baggage are theft by the very people charged with keeping our airways safe, and the fact that it is often nearly impossible to get my otterbox open after the trip.
I've even had issues opening the Otterboxes I carried on the plane! Seems the cabin pressure at altitude must be a little lower than at ground level, and the darn things suck closed really tight.

I think it's "no worries" in a carry on. Theft is the big one for me in packed luggage.

Good luck - B.B.S.

I found that inserting a quarter into the space where the latch is and twisting it gets my otterbox open after a flight. Wasn't fun the first time it happened though. I did not know they would do that. Never heard about pressure or lack of affecting taste.

Don't the new otter boxes come with a pressure release valve just for this reason?

I'd never put my cigars in check in, having watched the ground crew throw suitcases like they were at a Scottish games doing a Sheaf Toss, nothing I consider valuable goes into check in.

Good question. I don't see pressurization having any affect on flavor IMO. In fact, I believe most get flown into the US to begin with.

Cabin and cargo are pressurized and heated. Put em your carry on, but be prepared to pry it open. Depending on the length of the flight and the altitude, depends on the changes you will be exposed to. Most commercial will keep a differential some where of 37,000 feet in the air and the cabin will have an pressure of 8000 ft. The taste will not change, at least I haven't noticed it in 5 yrs.

I have about a 60 cigar collection to move overseas soon, guess I will have to trust Wurm and Dale to babysit

Tim

Just get an cigar caddy with a release valve. Pressure doesn't affect taste, at least none that I've noticed. You can also leave your otter box open in your check in, put your cigars in a ziplock bag in your carry on, and then transfer them when you land. There are many other solutions to solving the pressure test, just gotta think outside the box for a bit.