• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Airport Security

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted on Mon, Aug. 26, 2002 Charlotte Observer newspaper

Huntersville woman charged with carrying gun at airport
Associated Press

PHILADELPHIA (AP) – A North Carolina woman charged with carrying a loaded gun into a terminal at Philadelphia International Airport may have carried the same weapon undetected past security screeners in Atlanta, the FBI said Monday.

Nancy Keller, 37, of Huntersville, N.C., was detained Sunday morning after she put a carryon bag containing a .357-caliber handgun through an X-ray machine at the airport’s Terminal F, authorities said.

Investigators were trying to determine whether she also carried the gun past security on the first leg of her trip.

Keller told an FBI agent that the gun belonged to her husband and she wasn’t aware it was inside the bag. She was taken into custody and was to appear before a federal magistrate judge Monday afternoon on charges of boarding an aircraft with a concealed weapon.

FBI spokeswoman Linda Vizi said Keller arrived in Philadelphia on a plane from Atlanta and was making a flight connection that required her to leave and re-enter the airport’s secure zone.

No one was injured and no flights were delayed, officials said.

Court papers filed by an FBI agent Monday said the semiautomatic handgun was found inside a small nylon bag within Keller’s carryon bag, and was loaded with 12 rounds. The bag also contained a second 12-round clip labeled, “restricted law enforcement, government use only.” Federal gun laws bar civilians from possessing magazines with more than 10 rounds.

The Bureau of Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms was tracing the weapon. Vizi said she didn’t know whether Keller’s husband worked in law enforcement.

US Airways spokesman John Bronson confirmed that there had been a “security incident,” but referred questions to local and federal authorities.

A spokesman for the Transportation Security Administration in Washington, D.C., also declined to provide details.

“The alleged breach of security at Atlanta International Airport is under investigation,” said spokesman Nico Melendez.

“We work closely with the TSA on all security matters. Obviously we will look into the circumstances of what happened,” said Lanii Thomas, spokeswoman for Atlanta’s Hartsfield International Airport.

***Just when I thought that they had beefed up security at airports...this happens. At least they caught her in Philly. Either she and/or her husband has a lot of questions to answer! I'm glad I'm not her.

Sam

At least they caught this one, who knows how many actually are still getting passed security.

It seems they either go overboard or not enough. One minute they're strip searching granny, and then the next minute they smile and let Bin Laden walk past. Bizarre.

When I went down to Fl for my dad's funeral, I actually walked right past the third security checkpoint (right at the gate), the woman said, "thanks, go to the right". So I went to the right. Right past the guards. They just looked at me. But then coming home, I had to remove my friggin sandals and stand barefoot while they inspected them. Took out all the contents of my carry-on, then almost took my Ipod. The guy had never seen one and tried to pry it apart, I just about punched the idiot. I had to turn it on, cycle through songs, let him wear my headphones, then explain to him what it was. They did this to every single person walking through security. Suffice it to say, Tampa is a hell of a lot stricter than JFK, which I think is scary as hell.

I guess flying now a days is a damned if you do, damned if you don't. Too much isn't enough, but not enough isn't good either. Wear to draw the line? Do we strip granny down, or do we not allow carry-ons at all? Who knows. All I know is that the consumer is the loser here, because we get treated bad enough with the lousy service, too small seats and um, lousy service...

Blah. Ok, I've gone on long enough. :D