• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

All you watch aficionados

Gator

My Suunto Observer just died, evidently it got water inside :( . There's so many choices, thought i'd ask the experts...

I'm in farming, and will wear it there, hunting, fishing, so a high end like Rolex or Tag makes no sense, but i like quality. I liked the Suunto, but i thought i'd get more than 7 years out of it? This Suunto had the compass, altimeter, etc... on it, but i never used it. Would be interested in something that had heart rate monitor, and other if any exercise functions. Oh, and don't want something flashy.

Any ideas?

I personally like Citizen. If you get the Eco-drive it doesnt take a battery. Mine has taken a beating and still looks good.

The watches you mention are not really in the same class, price or mechanism-wise. Rolexes are little mechanical machines (no electricity). Most Tags are battery driven. An easy way to tell the difference by looking at a running watch is to observe the second hand. If it "sweeps", it's a mechanical watch. It is moves in short steps (start/stop), it's battery driven. Mechanical watches use a spring of some kind that gets wound and then unwound (similar to a grandfather clock). Electrical watches use a battery that drives an electric motor. They start and stop the second hand because it makes the battery last longer.

It would be helpful to decide up front, electrical or mechanical?

I'm a sucker for a good mechanical watch. I own a couple of Omega's (first watch on the moon!), they are cool looking, very rugged (I wear mine everyday) and reasonably priced.

Breitling is another good name, their watches tend to be a bit flashier. Rolex also makes good watches, but you pay a premium for the brand name.

If you want a tough-as-nails, mechanical watch that looks good, is waterprooof and can take anything you throw at, including SCUBA diving, I'd recommend one of the Seiko mechanical dive watches. linky

They are very reasonably priced and you can just put it on and forget about it.

Most watches get pretty trashed after a short time because the crystal (the glass part of the face) gets scratched. More expensive watches use man-made crystal material that is very hard. I've bashed my watch into cement, steel pipes and other things that would've trashed most crystals. My watch crystal still looks brand new after 5 years of daily wear, including some diving. Seiko uses a crystal of their own making and it's very hard and scratch resistant.

For somebody that lives in Florida (as I do), spends a lot of time outside and wears their watch all the time, it is hard to beat a dive watch for water resistance and durability. I gave my son the Seiko SKXA35 several years ago and he wears it daily. It has proven to be an outstanding watch.

The only drawback to the Seiko mechanicals is they don't "hack". You can't set the second hand when you set the time. If you normally set your watch with the atomic time everyday, you might find this annoying.

Of course, I'm a big fan of Omega. They make some very cool watches that can be worn everyday. If we had the opportunity to smoke a cigar and toss back a few in person, I could make a decent argument for buying a good watch, wearing the crap out of it (it can take it), get it repaired if you break it and after 40 years, giving it to one of the kids. That's what I'm doing with mine.

One of my most cherished watches is from my grandfather. That is exactly what he did with this watch:
standard.jpg

Which I had very lightly serviced (at a cost of more than the watch is worth) to:
standard.jpg

Now it keeps good time and I wear it occasionally (very carefully). I wouldn't sell it for any price.

For the record, I wear an Omega, Aqua Terra with a black dial.
It is just your basic black dial watch:
standard.jpg

standard.jpg

I've painted with it (brush and spray) on, worn it while running a chainsaw, hammering, chiseling concrete, running a sawsall, SCUBA diving, in the shower, plumbing, working on the car, at the office, in a suit, at the beach, on the boat...you get the idea. Once I wore it for 77 days without ever taking it off.

Mechanical watches do require regular servicing. Most watches are 5 years between servicing, the Omega co-axial watches can go 10 between services.

Wow, good info :)

I like quality stuff, but trying to justify spending the $ when i pound the doodoo out of a watch, i'm Farmer Brown, working on farm equipment, or tractors, etc, so it gets really whupped up on. Also, don't want alot of 'flash' as i hunt w/ it, fish, etc...

I thought Suunto was a quality watch?

I rock Invicta's. Their cheap in price but nice in quality. You also might want to look into a Casio G Shock.

Marathon
Arctos
Nite (mx10)

All solid watches. I like the Nite mx10 for the clean look. These watches were designed with hard useage in mind.

Interesting topic, I’m considering different options in timepieces also need many of the same qualities. I’m curious if anyone is familiar with luminox. The price puts it in the range he’s looking for. Supposedly they were designed for use by naval special warfare. I don’t know how much of that is hype but if true they would have to be tough as hell.

Blessings,
Jim

I thought Suunto was a quality watch?

I had a Suunto X6 (the older version) and it died on me out of warranty. I always enjoyed it. It took a lot of abuse. The Suunto X3HR (click) seems to be the best priced (click) one with a heart monitor. Personally, I recommend them. I think they are a great watch for those who really use them for what they were designed to do.

My Suunto Observer just died, evidently it got water inside :( . There's so many choices, thought i'd ask the experts...

I'm in farming, and will wear it there, hunting, fishing, so a high end like Rolex or Tag makes no sense, but i like quality. I liked the Suunto, but i thought i'd get more than 7 years out of it? This Suunto had the compass, altimeter, etc... on it, but i never used it. Would be interested in something that had heart rate monitor, and other if any exercise functions. Oh, and don't want something flashy.

Any ideas?

Citizen
Patek Philippe

My vote goes to the G-Shock (Atomic Tough Solar). No more worrying about battery or setting the time.
Plus, it looks nice on the wrist. It just takes a lickin' and keeps on... oh wait, is that copyrighted? :whistling:

gs1100-1a_xlarge.jpg

x2 for Breitling. My all time favorite watch. They come in many different styles and can be both sporty and dressy at the same time.
I currently have the Blackbird as my everyday watch and love it.

DAve

When the rooster crows, it's time to get up. When the sun is directly overhead it's lunch time. When you're done milking in the evening, it's time to go to bed. What kind of farmer needs a watch?

Doc.

When the rooster crows, it's time to get up. When the sun is directly overhead it's lunch time. When you're done milking in the evening, it's time to go to bed. What kind of farmer needs a watch?

Doc.

We ate the chicken and the cows, times are tough.