• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Am I ready for this? Your opinion is invited.

Corona Gigante

Feminist chicks dig me
Probably like a lot of people, I feel like I've only scratched the surface of the available supply of cigars. There's just so many cigars out there to try and the manufacturers and the retailers make them all sound so good. But it's pretty clear that even the best stores consider clearing out excess inventory at least as important as promoting a good deal to the customer. Of course I've read a lot of reviews but it's not even close to trying out the real thing.

I was excited when I first found out about the cigar pass: the idea of a big box of goodies landing on my doorstep and being able to sample three or four sticks from a collection of what people who should know consider to be "the best" cigars. It seems like a great way to tap into an incredible resource of so many knowledgeable people's opinions and experience.

But of course that's just the "take" side, what about the "put" side? It occurred to me that it doesn't really make a lot of sense signing up for a pass unless I already have cigars of an equivalent quality already in my humidor. Otherwise, I would have to buy my "puts" from the store. And what's the point of that? If I'm going to do that, why not just buy the "takes" in the first place?

So my question is, and this might seem like a real newbie question but please be patient because I'm still trying to get clear on how a pass really works, when you're involved in a cigar pass, have the "puts" always come straight out of your humi? Or have you ever gone out and bought sticks specifically to use as "puts" in a pass? Is there a third option I'm missing?

I'm just guessing that most people are going to give the first answer, that all their "puts" came straight out of their humi, in which case a pass works pretty much like an extended trade where people with more some cigars of a particular kind than they need trade some for something they don't already have?

So the second question that comes up for me is to wonder if the contents of my own humi would qualify me to take part in a pass.

8 x Partagas (DR) #4s,
5 x La Perla Black Pearl Toro Rojo,
5 x La Perla Habana Classic Toro,
12 x JR "Mystery" Belicosos (which look like they're going to turn out to be Montecristo Serie 4s)
1 x Bolivar Belicoso Fino
1 x Montecristo Edmundo
1 x Cohiba Siglo IV
1 x Romeo y Julieta Petit Coronas
1 x Partagas Salomon (I would probably not consider "putting" this baby)
1 x Romeo y Julietta Churchill Tubo (ditto)

So I would be interested to hear some opinions. Am I ready to jump into a pass (assuming I can find one that’ll have me, of course) or do I need to bulk up the contents of my humi a bit before stepping in?

Thanks in advance.

My advice would be to do the newbie sampler thread, post some informative things, and build a reputation. New guys generally are not invited in passes.

Hang around long enough and the pass issue will resolve itself. After a few trades or purchases you will have plenty of cigars to pass. :thumbs:

Corona Gigante said:
So my question is, and this might seem like a real newbie question but please be patient because I'm still trying to get clear on how a pass really works, when you're involved in a cigar pass, have the "puts" always come straight out of your humi? Or have you ever gone out and bought sticks specifically to use as "puts" in a pass? Is there a third option I'm missing?

[snapback]214773[/snapback]​

Nicholas - the answer to that question from my perspetive is "both" - I usually trade out of my humidor, but I also trade out sticks I buy for the pass when I know something is coming I want and want to have something of equal value (Davidoff's come to mind because my shop carries them and they are not widely available). I USUALLY (not always - it depends on what's being traded for) try to think of cigars I know the rest of the community would be interested in, not just trading cigars dollar for dollar.

Corona Gigante said:
So the second question that comes up for me is to wonder if the contents of my own humi would qualify me to take part in a pass.

8 x Partagas (DR) #4s,
5 x La Perla Black Pearl Toro Rojo,
5 x La Perla Habana Classic Toro,
12 x JR "Mystery" Belicosos (which look like they're going to turn out to be Montecristo Serie 4s)
1 x Bolivar Belicoso Fino
1 x Montecristo Edmundo
1 x Cohiba Siglo IV
1 x Romeo y Julieta Petit Coronas
1 x Partagas Salomon (I would probably not consider "putting" this baby)
1 x Romeo y Julietta Churchill Tubo (ditto)

[snapback]214773[/snapback]​

You've got some good trading smokes in your humi. However, generally, bundled cigars are not included in the pass, so generally you can't trade them into the pass. That's not always true - but is usually the case. You have some very nice ISOM's you could trade out - and even though you don't want to put a couple of them in the pass, you may see a smoke in the pass you really want to try... Keep an open mind...

Pay attention to the pass - don't just jump in because you want to get into a pass. You'll see all different types of passes out there - some are good for a person with a small collection, while other passes are really designed with persons having a larger, more expensive collection. It would really suck if you got a pass at the house and had nothing to trade into the pass with, other than having to run down to the store to buy smokes to make the trade...

The great thing about passes is you are exposed to cigars you may not be able to get in your locale. There are many times limited edition, special edition or limited availability cigars in the pass. I've seen cigars in passes I can get locally, but may have to drive an hour to pick up. Or vitolas I don't generally see at my shop (most of the Anejo's, Opus X, and Padron Anny's come to mind).

I agree with CigarSarge - build your reputation on the board - post - become known - do a few trades with other members. The newbie sampler trade is ALWAYS a good value for the money, if you can do it. When it comes to a box pass, the host invests from several hundred to several thousands of dollars in the cigars that are sent to the participants, so the reputation of the participants is crucial. Nothing sucks worse than having the pass disappear...

Good luck, Nicholas!!!

You might try doing what I did...I am a newbie but figured it wouldn't be too wise to try and jump into a pass right away...they don't know me...and I looked into the newbie sampler thread found that you can get samples from one of the more experienced members providing you can either send them some smokes they don't have that would at least make it somewhat worthwhile to them, or send them cash...since I didn't have much in thew way of cigars that I thought anyone whould really want, and since cash is a bit tight for the moment I came up with about a dozen smokes that I wanted to trade with anyone for just about anything to try different cigars and posted it here...

Simple Trade

One of the other newbies that has done a few trades got in touch with me and made me an extremely generous offer and cited a few other members as trade references...I didn't bother checking the references as I figured it would be okay to take a shot and since I am a newer newbie than him, he requested my part of the trade first, with which I had no problem and my side went out early today...he should receive them Monday or Tuesday and I'm hoping to see what I get in return by the end of the week as there were some sticks there that I really wanted to try...as our little deal finishes and if both of us are happy with it I will probably follow-up by posting a final post, under the above thread, with the details to show how well it worked out...I figure maybe after a few like that, then getting into the newbie sampler trade, and I can build a reputation enough (and humidor enough) for a shot at a pass...I'm also going to be making a very large (for me) purchase in the next week or two (maybe 100+ smokes in primarily 5-packs) that I feel I may even have enough cigars of enough variety to start a newbie pass myself, presuming that isn't jumping the gun too, so watch the board and see if I get that going...:D

After George, Hugh and I get done sending you cigars :whistling: you'll have PLENTY more in your humi :laugh: trust me ;)

When I first came to the site and didn't have as many cigars as I have now, I would pick some up at the local cigar shop specifically to use as puts in a pass.

As far as being a "new guy" Corona Gigante actually "knows" a couple of us pretty well already :laugh: so you'd have no problem having someone vouch for you if you wanted to get in a pass :D

You might want to try buying some fivers from the large internet sellers like Famous-Smoke or CigarsInternational to increase your stock or as a couple of people have already mentioned, do a newbie sampler trade. :thumbs:

Watch out, next thing you know, you'll have a couple of coolerdors set up full of boxes of cigars :0

CC...there are a few more coming to him, he just don't know it yet... :whistling:

Lucky guy...speaking of which, is there anyone specific that's involved in the NSTT that would be good for someone really new like myself to pair with, as I would like to try that...and is it better to send the FOG involved smokes or cash? Which do you guys really prefer, I mean really, as next week I have some funds clearing and would like to try the NST? Macabi's is local to me and they have a decent if a little over-priced selection, and if the smokes are not too exotic I could send cigars (and I have no trouble sending first) or in leiu of that, cash through paypal, or whatever method of choice...any recommendations?

Neuromancer said:
Lucky guy...speaking of which, is there anyone specific that's involved in the NSTT that would be good for someone really new like myself to pair with, as I would like to try that...and is it better to send the FOG involved smokes or cash? Which do you guys really prefer, I mean really, as next week I have some funds clearing and would like to try the NST? Macabi's is local to me and they have a decent if a little over-priced selection, and if the smokes are not too exotic I could send cigars (and I have no trouble sending first) or in leiu of that, cash through paypal, or whatever method of choice...any recommendations?
[snapback]214896[/snapback]​

It's up to the "FOG" so to speak as to what they want to do. I always have the person send me $$ because the boxes I want are far more than they're willing to spend on a sampler :laugh: so after I do a few, I have enough $$ to buy what I want. ;)

Corona Gigante's gettin' the crap bombed out of him due to a case of "mistaken identity" :laugh: but that's a whole 'nother story...... :p

I know the story...stumbled upon it on the other cigar forum...lol...was just wistfully thinking that you guys could flame me too and then bomb me afterwards...heh :whistling:...but that's a great idea regarding $$$...I would be up for either, whichever someone would want, or, if given a list of stuff where I could get my hands on most of it...

Youve got a good start on a great bunch of cigars there and im sure you could work up a deal or two for a sampler pack with some of our more seasoned members. I too was like you(and still am in a way)....had a small handful of several different cigars, looking for the right and wrong ones. Truth be told, there is no perfect cigar...at least, not any that ive smoked. Some are constructed to the highest standards, but taste like crap, and vice-versa. I still consider myself an amature cigar smoker at best....ive come a LONG way since i first started, but learn new things and taste new tastes every day.

Hold off on the passes till you get a good inventory going of cigars that you find pleasurable....the size of your humidor or how many cigars are in it are irrelivent...but you should only participate in one that will be trading similar cigars(i.e...dont try to put a handful of cheaper smokes to take 1 super premium, etc) You shouldnt have to go out and buy new cigars just to throw them in a pass. Passes were not ment to get rid of the smokes that you dont like, but were ment to share cigars you enjoy with other smokers. IF you have ones you dont like, try putting them up for sale or trading them with another member. Like others said, dont just participate in a pass just to play....wait for one that you really want to do. If you have a bunch or maduros, wait for a maduro only pass....if you have a bunch of robustos, wait for a robusto pass and so on and so forth.

Get your feet wet first by doing a trade or two in the newbie sampler section....great way to get some really good cigars and make a name for yourself.

If your looking elsewhere for samplers, head over to cigarsinternational.com. Their samplers are plain awesome and they always have a good deal going on. Try out their "brown bag" specials with anything you order....20 bucks gets you a brown bag with 10 random cigars...you never really know what youll get, but ive always gotten fantastic smokes out of them and never been disapointed. Everytime i order something from them i always throw one on top of the order and always walk away pleased(youll usually get AT LEAST 40+ dollars of cigars for the 20 you spend).

Jeffro600 said:
If your looking elsewhere for samplers, head over to cigarsinternational.com. Their samplers are plain awesome and they always have a good deal going on. Try out their "brown bag" specials with anything you order....20 bucks gets you a brown bag with 10 random cigars...you never really know what youll get, but ive always gotten fantastic smokes out of them and never been disapointed. Everytime i order something from them i always throw one on top of the order and always walk away pleased(youll usually get AT LEAST 40+ dollars of cigars for the 20 you spend).
[snapback]214925[/snapback]​

Hmmmm...good advice for anyone...

One thing that wasn't mentioned, when doing a box pass it is very bad form to put Cuban cigars in if you are not 100 percent positive of the source. It is best to only put Cuban cigars in if they were bought buy you from a reputable over seas vendor that many people deal with. Getting them from a brother in law whose secretary went to Mexico is not a good source.

The Master said:
One thing that wasn't mentioned, when doing a box pass it is very bad form to put Cuban cigars in if you are not 100 percent positive of the source. It is best to only put Cuban cigars in if they were bought buy you from a reputable over seas vendor that many people deal with. Getting them from a brother in law whose secretary went to Mexico is not a good source.
[snapback]215080[/snapback]​

:thumbs:

Nick, Nick, Nick. You are officially "New Meat". The abusive posts that will come your way now have no connection to the mistaken identity of a couple days back and will reflect only the fact that you are a newbie puke.
Have fun nooble.

NA

SamClemmons said:
Nick, Nick, Nick. You are officially "New Meat". The abusive posts that will come your way now have no connection to the mistaken identity of a couple days back and will reflect only the fact that you are a newbie puke.
Have fun nooble.

NA

You call that abuse? Please. My grandmother could do better. :rolleyes:

If that's what passes for flaming around here then all I can say is bring it.

But seriously, thanks to those friendly old gentlemen that have taken the trouble to respond to my questions here. The FAQ is a good introduction to the how of the pass. Now I've got a better idea of the why.

Thanks also to whoever it was who pointed me towards the Newbie Thread. That looks like a great resource too. Although I will be watching what the mail man brings this week before I get started over there.

Without a doubt, this has been for me the most informative thread I have read so far. Thanks to all for the great questions and answers.

ggiese said:
You've got some good trading smokes in your humi. However, generally, bundled cigars are not included in the pass, so generally you can't trade them into the pass. That's not always true - but is usually the case. You have some very nice ISOM's you could trade out - and even though you don't want to put a couple of them in the pass, you may see a smoke in the pass you really want to try... Keep an open mind...

Hey, George.

What's a "bundled" cigar? Are you saying that I shouldn't think about taking a $20 cigar and putting four $5 sticks?

As for keeping an open mind, the Partagas Salomon and the RyJ Churchill are out of play 'cause they're for me!! I want to try them more than any other cigar I can imagine. They've been sitting in my humidor for several months now, waiting on the right occasion. They are, by far, the two most beautiful looking, smelling, feeling cigars that this nyoob has encountered in his brief experience of the weed.

The Master said:
[snapback]215080[/snapback]​

Thanks for adding this Master. I've had this happen on a couple of occasions, once here and twice on CigarWeekly. I pull a "Cuban" :rolleyes: cigar out of a pass that "looks" good only to fire it up and realize it tastes like crap and it's indeed a fake.

I then PM the person and say "Uh that cigar you put in the pass was a fake. Can you tell me where you got it so I can avoid that "source" in the future?" Only to have these jerks say "Duh, I pulled it out of a pass so I have no idea where it originally came from." or simply "I can't remember where I got it."

There are other boards out there where you'd get tarred, feathered and fried for pulling that crap. :angry:

Corona Gigante said:
ggiese said:

Hey, George.

What's a "bundled" cigar? Are you saying that I shouldn't think about taking a $20 cigar and putting four $5 sticks?

As for keeping an open mind, the Partagas Salomon and the RyJ Churchill are out of play 'cause they're for me!! I want to try them more than any other cigar I can imagine. They've been sitting in my humidor for several months now, waiting on the right occasion. They are, by far, the two most beautiful looking, smelling, feeling cigars that this nyoob has encountered in his brief experience of the weed.
[snapback]215227[/snapback]​

CG, George means cigars that are sold by the "bundle." They are generally inexpensive cigars like a Consuegra.

karlgriffin said:
Without a doubt, this has been for me the most informative thread I have read so far. Thanks to all for the great questions and answers.
[snapback]215202[/snapback]​
what he said! :D