• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Am I the only one....

sigar_zealot

FattyMcButterPants
...that adds water to cask strength whisky?

For some reason cask strength bourbon I can drink neat but not scotch. Anyone else?

Nop, actually most of the single malt are diluted at the distillery or for the botteling when its taken out of the cask. Most of the time (back in the days I dont know now) it's with the springs/river water near the distillery.

I also put a little bit of quality water in my cask strenght to make it more enjoyable.It opens up the contrated flavors and give it that little extra that makes it work.

Now, when speaking about cask strenght I'm speaking about 60%/120 proof more or less.

Wich one were you talking about?

The Laphroaig must be incredible ! (sorry I'm a sucker for Islays)
I never tasted the Dalwhinnie Cask strengh but the Aberlour A'bunadh the perfect example of a scotch that a bit a water goes a long way. What batch is the Aberlour?

What I don't understand is I seem to enjoy Bookers, Stagg, William Larue Weller and a few other cask strength bourbons neat but CS scotch seems to lose to much flavor to alcohol burn.

My open bottle of a'bunadh is from batch #21.

Well I tried a swedish cask strengh and it way pretty easy without water so I understand what your saying.
Maybe it's the mix of the grain used and the essence of the wood used for the cask ?

I'm beginning to think these cask strength scotch bottles are just too much work. Every time I drink from them I feel like I waste 1/3 of the glass trying to adjust the water to get it to about 90 proof. I need a freakin chart or a chemist to drink with. ( :p 1/2 kidding!)

It depends on my mood. What I'll frequently do is drop an ice cube or two in . . . it lets me enjoy the first few sips at cask strength or close to it, but then mellows things out as it melts. However, much of the time I just let cask strengths breathe a bit in the tulip glass; they'll generally open up quite nicely on their own with no water at all.

~Boar

I can't say never ever but very rarely, Maybe a small ice cube in the summer but even that is infrequent.

You never ever put water in your cask strengh AVB?

I knew you were a bad ass ! lol

But dont you feel your missing some of the flavors ?