• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Amusing Website for Scotch Fans

punk_lawyer

Habeas Punkus
I looked around and did not see where this rather amusing website, ( http://www.whiskyblender.com ), has been noted on CP. The concept of being able to blend my own scotch whisky is intriguing. Has anyone tried this?

That's an interesting idea, but I don't know how well it would really turn out. Almost all whiskies, after being blended, are "married" in an oak cask for some amount of time to allow the blend to integrate. (Even a single malt is really a "blend" of whisky from different casks. Only "single cask" whisky is truly unblended.) It's a nice novelty, but going a whole bottle at a time could become a pretty expensive trial and error process. I'd also be apprehensive about not being able to sample either the component whiskies or the blend as it progresses. If I were able to go to their facility in person and do it hands-on, it would be a lot of fun.

I have heard of this on some websites. Infact, I have attempted to create a blend on 2 occassions. The firt time I did this with a few bottles I found one dimensional and attempted to round them out. THis was a purely due to my curiosity and the fact that I did not see myself finishing these bottles any time soon. Anyhow the blend was pretty interesting and after several samples I was able to tweak it with pretty good results.

The latest bottle used a mix of JWB, Bunnahabain, a little ardbeg 10 and nice does of HP12 and maybe something else. Anyhow, I must say it is really good. Tastes a lot like a JW gold.

That website is pretty interesting but, from my limited experience. You imagine your blend and the flavors that you want to impart / marry and it never seems to come out just right. The key and fun part is the sampling and tweaking to create a certain profile and working it into something special.

I guess that maybe I am a bit more freewheeling than some. I respect the companies that are putting this together and I don't see their asking price as unduly burdensome. Is it a risk that it will totally suck? Sure. But if that happens then I will have a nice bottle of my own blend of crap to share with people while telling them that I know nothing about how to blend whisky. Is there a chance it could be reasonably good? Sure. But I will not hold my breath.

I will be a guinea pig and let you know how my recipe works out!!!

They should sell small sample bottles of the six different kinds that they have so you can do a little practice blending before you get a whole bottle.

I guess that maybe I am a bit more freewheeling than some. I respect the companies that are putting this together and I don't see their asking price as unduly burdensome. Is it a risk that it will totally suck? Sure. But if that happens then I will have a nice bottle of my own blend of crap to share with people while telling them that I know nothing about how to blend whisky. Is there a chance it could be reasonably good? Sure. But I will not hold my breath.

I will be a guinea pig and let you know how my recipe works out!!!

I hear ya. THis is definitely interesting and, to your point, not exceedingly pricey.

It is a really cool premise and I agree that regardless of taste it is still a pretty good novelty that I would not regret purchasing. Who knows it may very well be excellent. Plus, whose to say, once it is blended you can't add to it and continue to evolve the taste.

If you give it a go definitely post your thoughts on the prosess.