• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

An interesting project?

bkc888

Summer is coming along and the fear of high temperature is on my mind. The cabinet humidor I have is the Tower of Power from here: http://www.cigarbid.com/auction/lot.cfm?lotID=429498

Thermoelectric Units are pretty expensive if one tries to buy them through sites on Google. So I thought of ripping out the TEC unit from a wine cooler such as this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-AVANTI-WCP8-8-BOTT...1QQcmdZViewItem

and mounting it on the humidor.

Hopefully the thermostat will be still attached and workable.
And how bad will the condensation be?
Should I do it?

I was in the same mind set about a week ago. I recieved an Avanti wine cooler from the best priced distributer I could find. It arrived fast. But was damaged. I tested it for two days , checking the temp settings and such, I then removed the back cover and inspected the construction to see about my wire routing options for my fans.

I think the removal of the peltier unit (SP?) would not be that difficult, the only thing would be setting up the thermostat and controlls. A better quality set of controlls would really be the ticket. Besides that , you would have to do some modifications to your cooler. I would say insulating the cabinet would be a must, then setting up a couple fans to circulate the cooled/humidified air.

Just looking at all the cooled cabinets that are offered, I think a tall slender cabinet would be the most difficult to cool consistantly, unless two cooling units were used, but I have really not tried this yet. I have done a ton of research but have not taken the plunge.

This guy seems to have the knowlage .cooled humi

I can build cabinets all day long but the electrical work is something I am just in the process of learning. I have looked through that page a bunch of times and am still impressed, he has an awesome project in the works.

see ya
Mike

A few of us have converted wine coolers into humidors essentially using beads and one of those temperature gauges people use for homebrewing. If you want to know more, shoot me a PM.

A few of us have converted wine coolers into humidors essentially using beads and one of those temperature gauges people use for homebrewing. If you want to know more, shoot me a PM.

Yea but I already have a 6ft tall cabinet humidor. Just trying to think of interesting ways to cool it. hahah