• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Angel 100 1961

Marco-Polo

Go Irish Go!
Cigar: Oliva Tobacco Company (not Oliva Cigar) Angel 100
Vitola: Corona Gorda, 6x45
Wrapper/Binder/Filler: Ecuadorian Sungrown/Nicaragua/Nicaragua

Executive Summary: There is a reason why I bought 20, traded for another 5, and then bought 20 more on CBid. I've smoked more of the 1961 than any other cigar, period. Right size, right flavor profile, and rarely a disappointment. Not pretty, but recommended on flavor and aroma grounds. Solid 8.0/10

Appearance: U-G-L-Y. Admittedly this is not a prime example of the cigar, having been acquired in a trade with Seth last year and stored in my desktop humidor since, but it's ugly. The wrapper has a few conspicuous veins, and has a rough and rustic, dark-brown mottled color. There are more than a few cracks in the wrapper as well, due to rough handling and general abuse. The box press isn't especially tight. The oxblood band, which commemorates the 100th anniversary of the birth of Angel Oliva, is undistinguished. Subtle (which I like), but undistinguished. The barrel of the cigar is slightly soft on pressure, but consistently through throughout. 7.0/10

Aroma and Flavor: The aroma is where the 1961 really shines. The cigar is both complex, in that roasted flavors dominate with wood, light spice and a caramel topnote, and distinct, in that you can distinguish individual flavors. It is highly aromatic throughout. The cigar loses a lot of its upfront spiciness after a year or so's aging, but retains a strong flavor in a very smooth presentation. The second third has increased woody flavor, and the nose is still saturated with coffee. The wood is much more pine than cedar, as odd as that might be to imagine. I recall (and other reviews confirm) that in the past it ramped up to strong intensity quite quickly, but this stick stays in the medium range through the second third. The final third has notes of black pepper, wood, coffee and caramel. The strength finally moves into the full range. I compare the flavor profile of the last 3rd to a Montecristo Media Noche, but the first 2/3 bear no resemblance; like I said, it's a complex cigar. Overall, an excellent stick, one that can quite easily compete with mid-range cubans. Not for beginners, though. 9.0/10

Construction: The burn was straight but not especially even. No touchups required, but a few quick puffs and a rotation required to get things on their way again. Draw has a little more resistance than you might expect, given the soft barrel prelight. Ash is slightly crumbly and comes off roughly every inch, and is largely dark grey (except, surprisingly, at the end, when it fades to light grey-white). Nothing wrong with it. Solid 8.0/10

I really like these. Very good, straightforward Nicaraguan tobacco to my palate. They aren't mind-blowingly good, but they are solid cigars.

I didn't even know you could get them anymore. The last time I checked, I couldn't find them.

Check out Cigarbid. If you'd like to split a 20 or 25-count, PM me and we'll work it out.

They're solid and they really improve with age. Definitely a sleeper.

Check out Cigarbid. If you'd like to split a 20 or 25-count, PM me and we'll work it out.

They're solid and they really improve with age. Definitely a sleeper.

That's why I can't find them. Sorry, I don't support C-Bid. Guess I'll have to make my last 15 last awhile. I really do enjoy these.

I just picked up 25 of these on cigarbid, if you want some let me know, was kind of an impulse bid haha.

Interesting. I've actually never really heard about these before. Therefore, I've never had one.

Looks like another one just got added to the list. Thanks for the input guys.

These sound pretty good. If anyone wants to part with a 5er, I'm game...