• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Anniversary contest

Devil Doc

When Death smiles, Corpsmen smile back
Today is the 36th anniversary of my first day in the USN. Seems like a good excuse for a contest, since I don't think anyone is going to create an anniversary cigar for me.

Rules. All are eligable
My test, my ans.
Highest score out of 100 wins
#17 is a tie breaker
PM your answers to me. I repeat PM your answers
Contest ends 2100 Sun. Feb. 5th
Prize will be commesurate with your efforts. This ain't easy.

Good luck

1. Who is the Father of the USN?

2. Name the oldest ship still in commission in the USN?

3. The first ship commissioned Enterprise was named by a Continental Army officer. What was his name?

4. Where did the first official Naval action of the Revolutionary war take place?

5. What USN Frigate is responsible for the first capture of a British ship during the War of 1812?

6. What is the name of the first USN steamship to cross the Atlantic?

7. What are the names of the first two American battleships?

8. Where (exactly) are the Halls on Montezuma?

9. How many Marines raised the flag (the second time) on Mt. Suribachi.

10. Why are Marines called Leathernecks?

11. The WWI Unknown Soldier came home on what USN ship?

12. What is the name of the first nuclear ship to take part in war operations?

13. What is the only all-enlisted corps in the USN?

14. What is the name of the last USN battleship built?

15. What were Corpsman called in the early 19th century? What were they called in WWII?

16. What USN combat ship was the first to have women sailors?

17. What did photo-journalist Dickie Chapelle receive from the Commandant of the Marine Corps before she left for Viet Nam?

18. Where did the USMC earn their sobriquet “Devil Dogs”?

19. What is the name of the first USN ship named after a USN woman member.

20. Who was the only USN ace of WWI

Congrats on your Anniversary!

I'll refrain from entering to give others a chance. Pretty sure I've got 12 off the top of my head. A couple are really good questions. :thumbs:

Just out of curiosity, AVB, do you know the answer to #17. A yes or no will suffice.

Doc.

Wow, and I thought my cold-war one was hard...

I'm going to get cracking on this one right away!

Thanks for the contest Doc :thumbs:

Ok PM sent, regardless of how I do, I would like to thank Doc for giving me a chance to teach myself a lot about the history of the US Navy. Great hard questions and a lot of fun to research.

If I were you I wouldn't apply to the Naval Academy History Dept. any time soon. :rolleyes: But all in all, not bad for a Dog-Face. :laugh:

Doc.

good contest good idea haveing folks pm ya too. gonna have to pull out some books and give this one a shot tomorrow. think i know a few off top of my head. My oldman was a marine.

Double D said:
good contest good idea haveing folks pm ya too. gonna have to pull out some books and give this one a shot tomorrow. think i know a few off top of my head. My oldman was a marine.
[snapback]284479[/snapback]​
Books? Now there's a novel idea. :whistling:

Devil Doc said:
Double D said:
good contest  good idea having folks pm ya too. gonna have to pull out some books and give this one a shot tomorrow. think i know a few off top of my head. My old man was a marine.
[snapback]284479[/snapback]​
Books? Now there's a novel idea. :whistling:
[snapback]284505[/snapback]​

lol Between the two of us Double D and I have more books than the local base library.

In case anyones interested ol'e Doc is going to commemorate this day by smoking his last Anejo 55 with a large glass of Pusser's Rum (the same stuff they served to British seaman) after a supper of hard-tac and dried cod. :laugh:

Doc,

Devil Doc said:
Just out of curiosity, AVB, do you know the answer to #17. A yes or no will suffice.

Doc.
[snapback]284272[/snapback]​

Thats one of the few I do know.

NullSmurf said:
Devil Doc said:

Doc.
[snapback]284272[/snapback]​

Thats one of the few I do know.
[snapback]284541[/snapback]​
Nope, I'm afraid you don't.

Doc.

Still time to win yourself some fine smokes. I don't give away crap. If you win, I assure you that you will be pleased. Contest ends 2100 tonite.

Doc.