• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Another vote for a coolidor

cpprhead59

We are the music makers...we are the dreamers of d
I buckled near the holidays and purchased a 100 qt. coolidor to consolidate my smokes into one place and also to make some room for future purchases. The seal on the coolidor was good from the start but being anal, I purchased some weatherstripping that was puddy-like and had zero odor to line the edges of the lid. I put some beads in it from Viper, two Oust fans and some boxes, all was going just fine.

I keep my coolidor hidden away in the basement where the temp stays in the mid-60's pretty much all the time and it is out of the way in a room we use for storage. I thought there was nothing that could bother it.

I am in my office today trying to absorb the financial market mess of the day, when my phone rings and it is my lovely bride in a panic saying, "Honey, you have to come home right now!!! It's raining in the basement!!!" Thankfully I live 10 minutes away so I forwarded all calls to my blackberry and bolted out of the door.

By the time I got home, the water had stopped and there was not as big of a mess as I had expected but since Mr. Murphy and his law are always around, I had to see what happened to my coolidor. I splashed through the little puddles all over my basement floor to the coolidor which (of course) happened to be directly under where the leak had come from the ceiling (toilet overflowed and wife went to walk the dog). I go over to it fearing the worst since I can see beads of water all over the side of it and also the cupholders on top were filled with water. I opened the top fearing for my smokes to find that they were totally and completely ...dry. Whewwww...I was so thankful I had a coolidor and not my two desktop humi's which I kept in the same place in the basement.

I dogged a bullet there for sure with both the water not doing any damage and my smokes being 100% fine. I have to credit my wife too since she knew where I kept them and as soon as she found the leak she moved the cooler out of the way.

So if you are debating a coolidor, consider this another reason to get one.

Now I just want to weather strip my coolers just in case. Paranoia.

You might as well put it in a fireproof vault just in case! ;)

Good to hear your cigars are safe though! I don't know what I would've done if I saw water surrounding my cigars. Lose my mind to say the least :blush:

On a lighter side. Don't store your cigars in the basement. But its a good thing you dodged the bullet this time. Maybe think about putting it some where in the basement where it isn't directly under some pipes. Also consider putting it on cement blocks. I myself lost everything I had owned to 1998 when the pipes busted at my mom's house and flooded the basement completely. All this took place while I was nearly 900 miles away at college. :(

On a lighter side. Don't store your cigars in the basement. But its a good thing you dodged the bullet this time. Maybe think about putting it some where in the basement where it isn't directly under some pipes. Also consider putting it on cement blocks. I myself lost everything I had owned to 1998 when the pipes busted at my mom's house and flooded the basement completely. All this took place while I was nearly 900 miles away at college. :(

Everything in my basement considered "long-term storage" is elevated a few inches off the ground via plastic crates. This helps a lot in case any flooding does occur.

FYI - The name of the stuff I used to line the edges and seal of the coolidor was called Rope Caulk by FrostKing, in case anyone is interested. Very flexible stuff, with a puddy like substance and no odor.

just to chime in, i had a 70 can cooler in my basement a long time ago filed with important papers and the basement flooded with 3 feet of water. needless to say the cooler actually floated! so all my paperwork was saved. so with that anyone want to test there coolidor in a pool...... hehehe :)

Sure... you can send me yours (with the smokes in it) don't worry I'll take "real good care" of them... :whistling: