• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Any Classic Pontiac People Here?

DesertRat

Perpetual Newbie
I found out today that I have been bequeathed a car by my recently deceased aunt.

In 1979, my uncle purchased a brand new 1978, "Pontiac Phoenix L J", 2-door coupe from a dealer in San Francisco.

My uncle passed away in 1984 and the car has been garaged since then with only minor trips by my aunt to keep it in good running order.

She kept it tuned, changed the oil and tires regularly and has kept it in showroom condition over the last 31 years and it currently has only 31,000 original miles on it.

Last week my aunt passed away at the age of 94 and I was shocked to learn that this car was left to me.

I've not seen the car in many years but in looking on the web I'm not finding any cars quite like this one.

This car seems to be unique in that it has a Phoenix decal on the hood similar to the Firebirds/Trans Am's of the day, a factory sunroof, power windows, A/C. 350 V8, 4-speed automatic (shifter is on the column), leather seats and a leather headliner. I cannot find any information on this particular set of options and have not found a single Phoenix on the net with a sunroof much less the hood decal and leather interior. The serial number indicates this particular Phoenix is #517 to come off the assembly line at Willow Run, Michigan.

Not sure it matters but the car is fire engine red with a white landau. Interior has white seats and headliner with red dash and accents.

Anybody here a Pontiac fan that would have more information on this particular trim package?

I hope to have photos soon but the car is in San Francisco atm.

Sorry to hear about her passing.

The car, if you choose to, could be a great car for Barrett's Acution House...or just drive it!

http://www.youtube.c...IYY&feature=fvw

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pontiac_Phoenix

http://wikicars.org/en/Pontiac_Phoenix

Here's a great linky http://www.pontiacventura.com/1977-79_pontiac_phoenix.htm

Basically a Ventura. I would think that the sunroof and decal would be 'dealer' options and not a facotry options.

Dealer options are packages that spedific dealers offer. But hey...the could be factory. Sometimes certiain 'dealer options' can make the car even more rare.

I was made in 1981 in Pontiac, Michigan. Does that qualify me as a Classic Pontiac?

Im not versed in this model (trans ams and GTO's are my favs) but I havent heard of a 4 speed auto in that era

Don

Sorry to hear about your aunt passing. This reminds me of the Pontiac Astre I had. A fun little car. :thumbs:

Danny,

Sorry to hear of your Aunt passing. I can only hope to live that long, and see my boy succeed.

I know from experience that inheriting anything from a relative can be a big surprise, and also lift our spirits.

Should be a great weekend car. Enjoy!

A '78 isn't considered a classic and the Firebird decal,was an option called the Skybird package. It could be ordered from any dealer at the time and installed by them or the owner. Also, a 4 speed manual could be ordered but not a 4 speed automatic AFAIK. The sunroof was also a factory option. A car with a 350, sunroof, decal and AC listed for $5400. (edit to correct price)

Thanks guys.

I'm probably mistaken on the trans, I'm going by what my Dad told me.

The VIN number decodes as

Mfgr - 2 Pontiac
Model - Z Unknown?
Body - 27 2 door coupe
Engine - L V8 350-4v 170hp (Chevy engine)
Year - 8 1978
Plant - W Willow Run MI

VIN numbers were not standardized in the US automobile industry until 1979 and the above is what a VIN decoding website came up with. The decoder says model unknown but the registration lists it as a Phoenix LJ. My uncle always referred to it as his "Firebird" and since it has been so long since I've seen the car I'm not sure what the actual car looks like. Waiting on photos.

Here is the car! I drove up to Newark Ca on Friday and picked it up and drove it home yesterday.

As you can see, my mom's description of the car to me was a little, off.

It is obviously not fire engine red and does not have a firebird emblem on the hood but rather a Phoenix emblem in the hood ornament.

Overall the car is a beauty. And dispite 31 years in the moist, salty climate of the Bay Area it has zero rust. Do you realize that many of the houses up in that area have grass growing on their roof's? We barely get grass to grow in the yard much less on the roof!

Anyways,it has 31,644 original miles on it including the 340 miles I put on it yesterday to drive it home. The interior is white leather with no damage. The landau is immaculate. There is a small dent on the right rear leading fender edge and some small scratches in the paint from years of garage storage and having boxes set on it and things like that but nothing serious that cannot be easily repaired.

I changed the engine oil and filter, greased all the zerks, checked the rear differential oil and trans oil before heading south yesterday and the trip was uneventful from a mechanical standpoint. I got on it after about 200 miles and that was the first time in at least 26 years (maybe ever) that the secondaries on the 4 bbl carb were opened up and the engine allowed to let loose. I took it up to 100 briefly and not a speck of smoke was eeen out of the tailpipes, no worrisome vibrations or noises and the suspension and steering were smooth as silk.

All in all I'm very happy with the car and my two boys are in heaven. They have never driven an "Old" car like this before and were laughing at the in-dash AM/FM "stereo", the floor mounted dimmer switch, manual heater and AC controls etc... but they love the car.

Anyways, here she is..
c130.jpg

Sorry to hear about your aunt.

Very nice ride, that's about 1000 miles a year.

Good luck.

Ken

Here is the car! I drove up to Newark Ca on Friday and picked it up and drove it home yesterday.

As you can see, my mom's description of the car to me was a little, off.

It is obviously not fire engine red and does not have a firebird emblem on the hood but rather a Phoenix emblem in the hood ornament.

Overall the car is a beauty. And dispite 31 years in the moist, salty climate of the Bay Area it has zero rust. Do you realize that many of the houses up in that area have grass growing on their roof's? We barely get grass to grow in the yard much less on the roof!

Anyways,it has 31,644 original miles on it including the 340 miles I put on it yesterday to drive it home. The interior is white leather with no damage. The landau is immaculate. There is a small dent on the right rear leading fender edge and some small scratches in the paint from years of garage storage and having boxes set on it and things like that but nothing serious that cannot be easily repaired.

I changed the engine oil and filter, greased all the zerks, checked the rear differential oil and trans oil before heading south yesterday and the trip was uneventful from a mechanical standpoint. I got on it after about 200 miles and that was the first time in at least 26 years (maybe ever) that the secondaries on the 4 bbl carb were opened up and the engine allowed to let loose. I took it up to 100 briefly and not a speck of smoke was eeen out of the tailpipes, no worrisome vibrations or noises and the suspension and steering were smooth as silk.

All in all I'm very happy with the car and my two boys are in heaven. They have never driven an "Old" car like this before and were laughing at the in-dash AM/FM "stereo", the floor mounted dimmer switch, manual heater and AC controls etc... but they love the car.

Anyways, here she is..
c130.jpg

Ha ha. We use those in the race cars for the horns. The young bucks at Auto Zone look like deer in headlights when I go in and ask for one. I have found that I just ask for a dimmer switch for a 69 El Camino... Something they can look up in the computer.

I have fond memories of my '79 Grand Prix. Nice and roomy :whistling: