• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Any guitar players out there?

KeyserSoze

Looking to take up another hobby. Any advice and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Leaning towards a solid body electric (fender or gibson) but what are some other reliable brands for a beginner? Anything I should watch out for? double truss rod, fret #, etc...

You really can't go wrong with either a fender or gibson. You may be like me, and want to start out electric and make the switch to acoustic. If you think there is a chance, you might want to invest in an electric acoustic... Sure, the strings are generally thicker and the frets seem harder to push down onto, but you get used to it as calluses build up. Grab a soundboard of some kind, and never under estimate how many picks you need in one room. I swear, there is a pick gnome somewhere.

If you are looking used or cheaper, try craigslist before going to Tweeter or Daddy's, or something like that. They usually waste no time in raping your wallet.

I have an Ibanez Artcore that I bought last year when I thought I needed to be a Rockabilly guitar player. I like it, but my wife always complains because I want to crank it up too loud. Oddly enough, my banjos and fiddles don't bother her. :cool:

How about Guitar Hero? I'm wicked good on Hard...;):p

We have a house full of guitars. I'm just a tab guy, but both my sons are in lessons and play very well.

I would suggest going to a local store that has a wide selection. Play as many models/styles as you can to see what suits you from both sound and feel perspectives. My guess is you'll fall in love with several, but will also be able to rule out quite a few.

Have fun and enjoy!

Thanks guys. I hear the electric is easier on the fingers and plus I figured I could tune it alot easier on a PC and I plan on connecting it to my laptop with some multimedia software for recording and such. I'll be sure to add Ibanez to the list.

We have a house full of guitars. I'm just a tab guy, but both my sons are in lessons and play very well.

I would suggest going to a local store that has a wide selection. Play as many models/styles as you can to see what suits you from both sound and feel perspectives. My guess is you'll fall in love with several, but will also be able to rule out quite a few.

Have fun and enjoy!

Yeah what Steve said. Go to the Guitar Center on Rte 18, I think that is the closest to you.

Play it before you buy it. That's the best advice I could give. Also, if you want to save some change, be sure to check out some shops that sell used instruments.

Love my Epiphone Les Paul....it does what I need it to.

I just play some tabs and the chords, and not all that well yet. But I love to pick it up from time to time and strum out a song.

Gibson Les Paul here. What ever you decide to go with be sure to try it before you buy it. My music store hates to see me coming. On a slow day i can be found there giving everything a test drive. ;)

I sold my Gibson electric and Gibson acoustic along with the amps. I do still have my Yamaha acoustic I get out every once and a while and play. Mostly at this time of year to play Christmas songs.

Some really excellent advice. I would add that if you have any friends that play well, especially music that you love, or know, to bring them along with you and have them play various guitars. Perhaps you like Acoustic Guitars. Some have beautiful warm tones, some project their sound better than others, and some are just a guitar. Electric, well, now you have an amp with it's acoustic signature. At least you'll get a good idea what any particular guitar or combo will sound like. To me, that adds a lot to the emotional aspects of ownership, and the music.

I've been playing for about five years now and, to date, I've acquired two Fenders (a Stratocaster and a Mustang), an Epiphone Les Paul Custom, and a Rickenbacker 330. The best advice I can offer as to buying a first guitar is to play a bunch of different ones and buy the one you like the best--there isn't really any right or wrong to the matter.

Play it before you buy it. That's the best advice I could give. Also, if you want to save some change, be sure to check out some shops that sell used instruments.

This is solid advice. Buying by brand, or even by model is not adequate. Many manufacturers have USA made instruments, and foreign made instruments. The USA made instruments tend to be more expensive and more well made (better craftsmanship and higher quality internals). But all are made by hand, and therefore there are inconsistencies. Granted, if you're a true beginner, you likely won't pick up (no pun intended) on all the subtle differences. But at least if you play first you'll have better peace of mind about your purchase.

I have fat, stubby fingers and I play a Gibson Les Paul Studio which is a fairly solid LP without the high ticket price. Great sound and tones.

I thought this was kinda cool. You could combine two hobbies.

I've been playing guitar for about 13 years now. I started with Classical Spanish Flamenco music with classical guitars, moved to acoustic, and now onto electrics. For a BEGINNER, I would NOT suggest buying a Gibson electric. Although they are beautiful guitars and I own quite a few, they are not a good beginner guitar based on the amount of coin you drop on one.

Look more for a Fender Stratocaster, or if you're hard up for the Gibson then check out the Epiphones. Affordable pricing and there are minior differences between the Gibsons and the Epiphones. Check out American Musical Supply, they have a GREAT payment plan for musical instruments.

But first, before you buy something from them, go to your local guitar shop and play it. After 13 years, and countless amps, pedals, and pedalboards, it is truly a satisfying hobby but you get out of it what you put into it. Good luck.

Thanks again guys. Very very helpful as always. Acoustic was not for me. Kind of felt odd playing it for some reason but I'm sure that will change once I know how to play more than 3 chords. ;) Stopped by a small music shop by my work and the top two I like are the epiphones and fender. The washburns and I think it was a Ibanez did not feel right for me. Gibson was nice but way too much on what I wanted to spend. As I have a good idea of what I want, the challenge is finding one for a good price.

Thanks again guys. Very very helpful as always. Acoustic was not for me. Kind of felt odd playing it for some reason but I'm sure that will change once I know how to play more than 3 chords. ;) Stopped by a small music shop by my work and the top two I like are the epiphones and fender. The washburns and I think it was a Ibanez did not feel right for me. Gibson was nice but way too much on what I wanted to spend. As I have a good idea of what I want, the challenge is finding one for a good price.

Yeah, Gibsons are beautiful, but not for the coin if you're just starting out. Seriously check out AMS (link above in my post). They have 3-9 month payment plans on guitars. You can buy a nice Epiphone for $500 bucks, and make three payments of $166 over the next three months, no credit card required. Pretty swank if you ask me!

I've been playing guitar a lot of years and I have some older Ibanez, Jackson and even a $99 BC Rich piece o' crap that I installed EMG pickups in that sounds great and plays alright. I also recommend Schecter.... however, all of these are more the rock/metal type of guitars. Not really sure what your after. I think Gibson makes a great product but the have always been to heavy for my liking. After standing and/or moving around alot at a show, a Gibson is just way too heavy for me. Pretty much my advice is similar to guns and cigars....try some and see what feels right to you. You can always upgrade later...