• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Any Irish lovers out there?

Wurm

Bratwurst and Beer
Of all the whiskeys on the planet I love Irish Whiskey the most.

As I am writing this I am enjoying some Jameson 1780.

Its a neat 12 year-old that I can only highly recommend.

Not a big fan of Tullamore Dew since the new owners took over.

But my favorite Irish is Redbreast :love:

So who else likes a bit O' the Irish?

I would not say I loved an Irish, but she sure was fun to play with!!!!!!!!! :D

loanshark said:
I would not say I loved an Irish, but she sure was fun to play with!!!!!!!!! :D
[snapback]235037[/snapback]​

LOL was it lust instead?

Not a terribly big fan of Irish whiskey but I do like the Bushmills Millennium Malt and Green Spot. Out of the Spot at the moment. Black Bush isn't bad if out doing a few with the gang.

AVB I have devoured your great scotch reviews even though I'm not a huge fan of scotch myself (I do however find myself liking it more and more each time I drink it)so could you please tell me why Irish isn't your thing?

I'll try to explain why I'm not a big scotch fan as well...

The first scotch I ever tried was my fathers Ambassador 25-Year Old and while he thought it was the most awesome thing on the planet, I hated it. Too, for lack of a better word, bitter for me.

A while back I was given a bottle of Dimple (not pinch its not sold over here) and I tried it and wasn't too impressed. So I put it in my bar and forgot about it for a few years. A few weeks back my friend Dale was pondering trying scotch (he is or better said was strictly a bourbon man)and I remembered the dusty bottle in the back of my bar and said "Hey I have some scotch, I'll bring it over." Well we wiped the dust off and poured ourselves each a dram then sat back and lit up some Macanudo Maduro Prince Phillips that I brought over from my vacation in the states. I really can say I was bowled over, it wasn't bitter at all in fact I kinda liked it. Dale was very impressed and I decided to leave the bottle with him. 2 or 3 weeks later I stopped by for our weekly cigar smoke and asked him "Want to drink some of that dimple again?" He turned beat red and said "Sorry man I drank it all but don't worry I bought you a new bottle of scotch." And handed me a bottle of JW Black. I think its ok but it has some that Bitter taste that turned me off to scotch in the first place. Hes moved on to Glenlivet 12 and I went and bought myself another bottle of Jameson 1780.

So far these 4 scotches are my only foray into scotch, I think with time and taste testing I could come to love it, but I still like the sweetness and lightness Irish whiskey offers.

Not having had anywhere near the amount of Irish as I've had Scotch I've found the ones I did try just don't seem as complex as Scotch. More one dimensional and there is usually a cloying sweetness on the upper palette from most that I have tried and I don't like that. Green Spot and the aforementioned Bushmills don't seem to have that and so I like them better, I'm sure there are others too but I can't keep up on bourbon and Scotch let alone add another spirit to the list. It's not that I don't like Irish it's just that I don't like it as much as Scotch and Bourbon.

AVB said:
Not having had anywhere near the amount of Irish as I've had Scotch I've found the ones I did try just don't seem as complex as Scotch. More one dimensional and there is usually a cloying sweetness on the upper palette from most that I have tried and I don't like that. Green Spot and the aforementioned Bushmills don't seem to have that and so I like them better, I'm sure there are others too but I can't keep up on bourbon and Scotch let alone add another spirit to the list. It's not that I don't like Irish it's just that I don't like it as much as Scotch and Bourbon.
[snapback]235402[/snapback]​

Fair enough, thanks for taking the time to answer!

BTW I keep getting an error when I click on the link to your reviews in your sig.

The link works for me. Nobody else has reported any problems with it. ???

Wurm said:
BTW I keep getting an error when I click on the link to your reviews in your sig.
[snapback]235561[/snapback]​

It was me... my router was acting weird.

And I have a big favor to ask of you.

IYO What would be the best scotch for me to try in regards to my taste preferences?

I WANT to be a scotch drinker, I just need help finding the right one.

I think you would like Tamdhu. It isn't too expensive and you should be able to find it in Germany. There is also a new release by William Grant called Monkey Shoulder you may like at a pretty good price too.

Thank you sir, I will be looking for both my next trip to the Duty Free in Czech.

If you want a GOOD Jameson Whiskey, goto Dublin, Ireland. Then head over to the Jameson Whiskey Museum and pick up a few bottles of their 12 year old, Triple Distilled Whiskey. It can only be picked up at the Museum or the Distillery. I kick myself in the rear for only getting one bottle back in 2001. At the time it cost about $40 a bottle.

All Jameson whiskey is triple distilled (as is most Irish) and the 12 yo expressions are readily available. The 12 yo Distillery Reserve is stored in Oak casks while the 12 yo 1780 is stored in old Sherry casks.

AVB said:
All Jameson whiskey is triple distilled (as is most Irish) and the 12 yo expressions are readily available. The 12 yo Distillery Reserve is stored in Oak casks while the 12 yo 1780 is stored in old Sherry casks.
[snapback]246913[/snapback]​

I like the 1780 more than the Distillery Reserve, but both are good.

My last trip over the border I picked up some

Bushmills - 1608 12 year-old as a gift for Double D...

Its really complex for a Irish Whiskey, I didn't really like it but I also drank it on the same day that my cigars tasted so horrble to me (sinus infection) So I'm looking forward to trying it again at our weekly Herf.

BTW AVB thanks again for the Germany Whiskey shop links, really good prices and delivered to my door beats the hell out of having to drive 40+ kilometers to go over the CZ border. :thumbs:

AVB said:
Not a terribly big fan of Irish whiskey but I do like the Bushmills Millennium Malt and Green Spot. Out of the Spot at the moment.
[snapback]235237[/snapback]​

Me too.... :(

Wait for my next order, it should be $75-80.

Tamdhu is what I ordered for my christmas bottle, I am hoping it will arrive next week.

I know lol I have 3 bottles of Irish... but no Scotch (sad isn't it).

I also asked for a membership in the Whiskey club for Christmas, can't wait to see what Frau Luening sends me for my membership bottle :)