• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

any one try the Cigars International Legends series?

I have had a Blue label in my humi for about a year now. Haven't tried one yet though, curious to see what others have to say.

I've tried a couple CI Legend Perdomos before and I remember them being fairly decent. I doubt I ever buy any (mine was given to me by a friend) because they didn't blow my hair back, but for the money - not bad.

If I am correct, these are special blends made just for the "CI LEGEND" label right?

They aren't another line that made their top list. I am curious as to the opinions as well, haven't had one yet myself but the Legend sampler looks decent. I wonder how the graycliff is.

I'm curious about these cigars too.

Here's the CI Link

Anybody willing to do a full review on all 8 of them? Step right up brothers and sisters!

We can do a full workup on these. We'll get some folks willing to smoke one of each of them and write a review. I'm thinking 3 reviewers....me as one. Now we just need 2 more volunteers. Anybody? Anybody?

To sweeten the deal a bit...I'll provide the cigars, let's say 2 per week. Banded..reviewers smoke the same ones each week. To say thanks for supporting this effort I'll include a bonus cigar or two in each package...yours to smoke free, no review required. Once all 8 reviews are completed, each participant gets a special "completion" prize from me.

Sound like fun?

Respond in this thread, if you want to be a reviewer.

Cheers,
Joe

I'm curious about these cigars too.

Here's the CI Link

Anybody willing to do a full review on all 8 of them? Step right up brothers and sisters!

We can do a full workup on these. We'll get some folks willing to smoke one of each of them and write a review. I'm thinking 3 reviewers....me as one. Now we just need 2 more volunteers. Anybody? Anybody?

To sweeten the deal a bit...I'll provide the cigars, let's say 2 per week. Banded..reviewers smoke the same ones each week. To say thanks for supporting this effort I'll include a bonus cigar or two in each package...yours to smoke free, no review required. Once all 8 reviews are completed, each participant gets a special "completion" prize from me.

Sound like fun?

Respond in this thread, if you want to be a reviewer.

Cheers,
Joe
Count me in if there is still space.
Thanks Clint

I doubt I have the experience you're looking for here, plus due to my location you'd have to wait about 2 weeks for them to even get here.

I'm interested in the reviews of them though. I've always been curious how these do compared to each makers "main" lines.

If you need someone "fresh" to review this and have space, let me know. I'm game. :)

Ok guys, thanks for steppping up.

Two reviewers and volunteers are:

occifer143 (Clint)
iluvmysh (Richard)

With Brickhouse (Wyatt) as the alternate (due to location...sorry bro!).

I'll go take inventory and figure out what I can do right away and what I need to buy.

I'll use your addresses in your profile, unless you let me know otherwise. I should be able to get the first round out this week.

Cheers,
Joe

occifer143 (Clint)
iluvmysh (Richard)

I'll go take inventory and figure out what I can do right away and what I need to buy.

I'll use your addresses in your profile, unless you let me know otherwise. I should be able to get the first round out this week.

Cheers,
Joe

Thanks Joe,
Let me know if you need anything from me besides the review. :thumbs:

Richard

Awesome, I look forward to your reviews guys.

Don't worry bout it Joe, I woulda told you not to include me, being out here and all. I just want to see the reviews.

Ok, first round is away. Red and Green labels headed your way. I included a couple everyday smokes in the package as well. Hope you guys enjoy. Feel free to post your reviews here after you smoked the Legends cigars. Let's try to follow a simple review format of:

Pre-light
construction
color
clip/punch
draw

Light
type of fire used
initial aromas & taste

1st Third
taste
burn

repeat for 2nd and 3rd third of burn.

I'll provide the overview of the cigars. Here's some info from the CI webpage:

Legends started out as a small project. We originally asked four top cigar manufacturers to create the best damn cigar they could for $5 retail or under. The only condition is, the cigar had to be 5.75” x 54 in size. To get their competitive juices flowing, I let them know that they'd be competing for supremacy with other top makers! That was 2 years ago. Today, four more manufacturers have entered the ‘competition’, with several others chomping at the bits for a chance to join the fun.

Here's a cut-n-paste from the CI webpage on the first two cigars up for review:

Legends Perdomo - Red Label: Nick Perdomo, founder of Tabacalera Perdomo, went against the grain by producing the only figurado in the bunch. But it’s hard to argue after looking at the end product. In fact, it’s hard not to be downright giddy before, during and after sparking this beauty. Aesthetically, the cigar is stunning, a tightly wound, bullet-shaped smoke with a dark, positively first-grade sun-grown Nicaraguan maduro wrapper leaf. This leaf is eye-popping: smooth with nary a vein, glistening with natural oils, and giving off a lovely sheen. The tip of this torpedo is masterfully formed into a sharp, very pointy head. Filled to the brim with an intricate blend of aged Nicaraguan fillers, Perdomo’s medium to full-bodied treat instantly awakens your taste buds with a potpourri of wide-ranging flavors. It’s not overly rich however, and the well-balanced smoke mellows as you go, occupying the palate with clearly discernible earthy notes, followed by a slightly cedary undertone and mellow spiciness. The draw is impeccable - slow, cool, and deliberate - making this cigar journey one you’ll want to take over and over.

Legends Puros Indios - Green Label: Cigar master Rolando Reyes, Sr.’s Puros Indios is an excellent cigar with a unique, robust and aromatic taste. And it's usually easy to spot, due to the splotchy, almost marbleized Ecuadorian-grown wrappers. For his CI Legends entry, however, Rolando indeed displays the artful blending genius he is known for, but gives us a cosmetically beautiful cigar as well - so it not only smokes like heaven, it looks angelic too! Employing a hand-selected, supple Ecuadorian-grown Connecticut shade leaf, he introduces a well-aged blend of choice Dominican and Honduran long leaf. What results is an intensely flavorful smoke, but one that’s surprisingly mild in strength. Consistent throughout, this hefty Honduran-made toro loads your palate with thick volumes of velvety smoke, giving off smooth notes of toasted wood that are complemented by a variety of mellow earthy undertones. The slow, cool burn allows you to fully appreciate the deep depths of flavor of this soothing premium. Outstanding!

occifer143 (Clint)
iluvmysh (Richard)

Cheers,
Joe

Great idea, can't wait for the reviews.

I had an orange label the other day at the local B&M... Good construction no burn issues, and a great draw.. The first inch or so had a sweet lemon grass flavor and was overwhelming.. After that it mellowed to a mild to medium smoke nothing really stood out to me, and I do plan on smoking another one. Over all about a 6, and priced right.. for what you get.. Like I said I wil try another one.

Thank you Joe. I'll let you know when it gets here. Would you like us to let it rest first or smoke it as soon as we get it? I want to know so each case scenario isn't affected by different factors such as one being able to rest while the other one was fresh from the mailbox, etc.

I bought the cigars as a sampler on CigarBid about a month ago. They've had a good rest in my humi (65%) since then. I don't think a couple of days in the mail will affect them that much. I'll leave it to your discretion about whether they need a rest or not. Check them out when they arrive and let us know.

The sampler I bought had the Green (Puros Indios), Orange (Rocky Patel), Blue (Matasa), White (Camacho) and Red (Perdomo) labels. I'm working on getting a 5'er of the Copper (Drew Estates), Purple (Graycliff) and Black (La Aurora) to include in our reviews. CI shows the Copper and Black on back order. I have a bid in on a 5'er of the Purple label at CigarBid. Depending on the circumstances, these might need a rest. I'll let you know.

Shooter - Thanks for the input. It will be interesting to see what the review team thinks and how it jives with your experience. By the end of this Legends review project, we should be able to "triangulate" a pretty accurate account of each of the cigars.

I don't have that much experience officially reviewing a cigar....mostly my reviews have broadly fallen into just a few categories:

it sucked - I tossed it after 5 puffs
it was ok - I smoked about 1/2 of it
it was good - I smoked it...probably would buy again
it was great - Smoked it and search the humi for another just like it.

Clearly, I'm going to have to broaden my review efforts!

I'm looking forward to spending a little quality time investigating each cigar. If nothing else, it should be fun and a learning experience.

I'm hoping to spark the first two cigars this weekend.

Joe,(oops lol) I am in the same boat as you with I like them, I don't like them, who the hell gave this to me, and the best is, Is this really a cigar or did I get some dog doodoo. I will try and make you proud, take my time and really look for the flavors.