• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Any other temp control suggestions?

rehrlich

Banned
I live in central ca. It has been 105 for sometime so temperature is an issue. Other than coolers or wine coolers are there oither ways toi keep my humi cooler? I am wondering if anyone has had luck with putting portable fans or wall coolers next to the humi to get it into the 70s temp wise. Is there any affect on the humidity by using these?

thanks

Typically you want to stick to air that is Thermo-cooled, Condensed cooled air has almost no humidity and will dry out your cigars.
A thermoelectric device that is in some wine coolers is the safest way to keep your vitolas safe.

Putting a fan next to it will only blow hot air at it. Unless you want to keep your AC on to maintain your house at a reasonable level, you may be in for a bit of trouble.

Here in Tracy, I have the house at 78 degrees, which (you guessed it) keeps my humidor at the same temperature. I recently transferred everything into a coolidor and it seems to keep them cooler for longer periods, but the temp will gradually go up and match the surrounding environment.

What I did find helpful is to keep the humidor/coolidor near the MIDDLE of your house, preferably in a dark closet. That didn't get quite as hot, quite as fast.

The other thing I USED to do is take a wash cloth, dampen it with water, and then freeze it inside a plastic ziplock baggie.....and then take this baggie and put it underneath my humidor. It helped lower the temperature by 5 degrees......but it was only a 50 count desktop humidor.

Use the search function...

just wanted to say that...

Here's a suggestion...use blueice packs.
True, it does lower the humidity a little, but it does lower the temperature in a coolidor.

I got tired of switching out ice packs...I got a vinotemp fridge from Target for $199.
Works great.

I know that I started a thread about cooler temps, and how to control them about a month ago.
The whole thread is out there in cyberspace just waiting to called, it's cold and all alone, it just wants to be loved too.
It is even in the Humidor section, if that helps....

but, the advice I was given was this. Ice packs wrapped in a towel on the out side of the cooler. So this is what I did; I took 8 20oz Gatorade bottles filled them water and froze them. I run a 4 bottle rotation, 4 on the cooler, 4 in the freezer and I switch every after noon. This keeps the temp any where from 65 in the morning/night to 75 at the heat of the day. It is a bit of work to keep up with it all but it works, and that is all that matters to me.

The other thing I USED to do is take a wash cloth, dampen it with water, and then freeze it inside a plastic ziplock baggie.....and then take this baggie and put it underneath my humidor. It helped lower the temperature by 5 degrees......but it was only a 50 count desktop humidor.

This sounds like a good idea for home use....

Tim

Yup, it's hot hear in central cali... I went ahead and put a temp regulator on a mini fridge and just keep adding water to my beads.

I got the mini fridge for free so it was easy to go to.

george

I know that I started a thread about cooler temps, and how to control them about a month ago.
The whole thread is out there in cyberspace just waiting to called, it's cold and all alone, it just wants to be loved too.

but, the advice I was given was this. Ice packs wrapped in a towel on the out side of the cooler. So this is what I did; I took 8 20oz Gatorade bottles filled them water and froze them. I run a 4 bottle rotation, 4 on the cooler, 4 in the freezer and I switch every after noon. This keeps the temp any where from 65 in the morning/night to 75 at the heat of the day. It is a bit of work to keep up with it all but it works, and that is all that matters to me.

Tim

PHEW what a diehard. Two or threes days of that and I would have to get a wine fridge. More power to ya man. Hopefully one day you will get to upgrade. I guess none of ya have basements either. You could also put some ice packs in the cooler, then put the cooler in a sleeping bag for further insulation, I guess but thats alot of work. I hope you figure something out. What about those coleman coolers you plug in, there supposed to keep things cool. I believe they work off the same principle as a wine cooler and they might be cheaper.

Unfortunately, most California homes do not have basements, or else I'd be all over that. With my temperature averaging about 78 degrees, I just tend to keep an eye on things. So far, so good. I doubt I would ever do the sleeping bag route, but the ice packs inside the cooler is a great idea if things get too out of control.

I live in central ca. It has been 105 for sometime so temperature is an issue. Other than coolers or wine coolers are there oither ways toi keep my humi cooler? I am wondering if anyone has had luck with putting portable fans or wall coolers next to the humi to get it into the 70s temp wise. Is there any affect on the humidity by using these?

thanks

Nope. Only way to go.
rectify

Tim

PHEW what a diehard. Two or threes days of that and I would have to get a wine fridge. More power to ya man. Hopefully one day you will get to upgrade. I guess none of ya have basements either. You could also put some ice packs in the cooler, then put the cooler in a sleeping bag for further insulation, I guess but thats alot of work. I hope you figure something out. What about those coleman coolers you plug in, there supposed to keep things cool. I believe they work off the same principle as a wine cooler and they might be cheaper.

No Wine-O-Dors in Iraq bro. I only wish! It's not that much work. In the last few days I have re-worked my system. I dropped the smaller bottles for 1 liter water bottles I use a 6 bottle rotation now changing out 2 of the 4 bottles on my cooler in the morning and then 2 other bottles again in the evening. This helps keep the temp steady at about 70, and does not effect the RH as bad.

Putting the ice bottles in the cooler would make for less work, I could get away with using only 1 or 2 BUT they suck all the RH out of the air and it condensates on the bottle, so that is a no-go.

In the end, all the work is worth it, I don't really mind, and I know that my smokes are safer this way.

Tim