• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Any pipe smokers out there? Check this out!!!!!&#

Muley

Well, my wife was complaining a little about the stinky cigars I smoke on our family walks at night (my favortie time/method for smoking) so it got me to thinking....

I just decided I'd give Pipes a try - she always remarks about how THEY smell good, but my cigars reek. Plus, there's always that romantic/sophisticated air about smoking a pipe. :D

I think I got a great deal on eBay for a couple of pipes, so I decided I'd go for it and give myself the best chance I could to enjoy the experience. I ordered a pretty wide variety of tabacco - at least I think it's a wide variety (esp. for just starting out!) Can anyone tell me from experience how I did on my first round of pipe tobacco purchasing? Also, how much tobacco goes into the average bowl (i.e. how long would 50g or 2oz last? This is what I picked up:

Glen Piper
McClelland Dark Star 50g
McClelland #100 Tropical
CAO Midnight Ride
ThePipeRoom.com House Blends: Middle Earth 50g
ThePipeRoom.com House Blends: Gandalf 50g

Thanks for the help. By the way, just shopping for pipes, I think I found a whole new wonderful world to obsess over!!! Pipes are cool. :p

wait 'til you get your first hand carved meirschaum!
lineup sounds good. 1 oz. lasted me about 10 bowls.
make sure you season the pipes if they are new.

1. dampen the inside of the bowl
2. smoke 1/2 bowl SLOWLY. do not let it get hot enough to feel heat outside.
3. repeat step 2 twice, letting it cool completely between
4. enjoy your pipes! they're fun!

l8er

todd

Todd,
Thanks for the info. I do plan on seasoning, but have a question. I read that the meirschaums didn't need to be seasoned. Any knowledge? If not, how about meirschaum lined wood bowls?

Domo. Appreciate your input

mierschaum requires more seasoning than briar actually.
you must have a nice, thick layer of tar and ash to protect
the clay surface.it sure smokes nice afterward though!
as for mierschaum lined bowls, i have no knowledge of
these. PB just said he's seen them, but that's about it.
(in case you didn't know, purobrat's my brother. he's at my house)

todd

Welcome to another of the evil tobacco habits. So far I've picked up 4 pipes from Ebay, and 3 from the local shop. I do enjoy a pipe, much different from the cigars.
Remember to smoke it slow, if the bowl is too hot to hold in your firm grip for 6 seconds let it rest a bit a cool down. I'v tried several different methods of filling a bowl, the one that works best for me is, scoop the bowl full, tap the side till it settles down in the bowl.Scoop again, and tamp lightly. Light and puff a couple times, the tobacco will expand. Tamp again, relight making sure the entire top is lit and enjoy. As the ash forms while smoking tamp lightly. If it goes out, tamp again and relight. Only knock out the ash when you are through. The ash helps form the carbon lining that protects the bowl.
The only tobaccos I'v tried that you bought are the McClelland's, I like them. I'm only smoking about 1 bowl a day now as I still enjoy the cigars too much, so a 100 g can last me a long time. It's a nice way to enjoy tobacco and relax. :thumbs:

thanks for all the great advice gentlemen. I've had two bowls now (one each day yesterday and today.) it's pretty interesting - and enjoyable. I tried both of the piperoom blends and LOVED EM! Still waiting for the others to arrive.

the neat thing about pipes is all the toys! the pipes themselves
are cool toys, and then all the different pipe tools!! i'd like to
take it up again, but all my $$$ go to gars right now!(that evil jr)

todd