• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Any soundbar type system worth it?

LilBastage

Meat is murder! Tasty, tasty murder.
I need something to boost the audio (particularly dialogue) of my blu ray movies. I can't do a full on 7.1 surround system due to space and budget constraints. I can't watch a movie without constantly adjusting the volume between dialogue scenes and action. Most of my movie watching is done late at night after the kids are in bed, so I need to be reasonable on volume level.

The TV is in a fairly small room. I've been looking at some soundbar systems with subs and they look like they might work for me. Does anyone have any experience with any? Reviews are very mixed on Amazon and other places. They seem to be a love it or hate it kind of deal.

Is there a better solution?

(Most of my DVDs have a stereo track so I've not had a big problem in the past. It seems like most BD don't include a stereo track.)

I've had success with a sound bar. When I was in college I bought myself a brand new Vizio TV and the volume had 1-30 and 30-100 was the exact same volume. So around Christmas time I was in Sam's Club stocking up and noticed they had a Vizio sound bar for sale at $40. Best $40 I spend in college. It was exactly what I needed, even when I got my own place, the first thing that went up was the sound bar. For the minimal amount of money that they cost, I'd say they are well worth a try!!!!

What is your budget range, min-max if you don't mind me asking?

I have a Samsung sound bar with a separate subwoofer. Not sure of the model, but it cost around $200. We were looking for something that would boost the volume over our tv's built-in sound system, and it's worked out very well. Unless you're an audiophile, who needs to hear every sound delivered from every corner of the room, I think a sound bar would work fine for you.

Budget is around $200-$300 or so.

Thanks for the responses so far. Based on what you said, Steve, I think we'll be satisfied with a soundbar. The "fancy" stuff can wait until I get the dedicated home theater room figured out. Off to do more research!

I was going to suggest a nice set of headphones, but knowing your budget I think a soundbar setup might be just the ticket.

I am planning on picking these up for work - Sennheiser HD 600

-Jimmy

I've got the Vizio VSB200, it was originally like $129 and I picked it up for around $40. I think they are now around $100, it's a cheaper alternative, but that means more money for cigars.

I was going to suggest a nice set of headphones, but knowing your budget I think a soundbar setup might be just the ticket.

-Jimmy

I don't think TheWife(c) would really want to share a set of headphones with me while we watch a movie, but it's an interesting thought. :laugh:

-Jimmy

I don't think TheWife© would really want to share a set of headphones with me while we watch a movie, but it's an interesting thought. :laugh:

I have this one in the bedroom and it was a hell of an improvement over the stock speakers.....it is by no means set for an audiophile like my Bowers & Wilkins speakers, but it boosted the sound and provided some separation and quality.

We have a Sony HT-CT150 in our cigar room that I bought at a Sony Outlet in one of those outlet centers and I love it. The difference is everything (DVD recorder, Blu-ray, PS3, XBox) connects to the sub/power amp via HDMI cables and then only one HDMI cable goes back to the TV....so all the sources are controlled with the sound bar remote and not the TV's.

Powerful enough when you need it to thump for a movie and the clarity in the voices is awesome. The remote lets you dial down the bass and increase the mids & treble for late night viewing very easily. I paid between $150 to $175....worth every penny.

Isy & B.B.S. have heard it, ask them what they think.... :laugh:

For home use I would just be plugging them into the front of the receiver, watch Inception as loud as I want and not wake the wife or pup. :)

x580TXN609B-o_angled.jpeg

Thanks, fellas. I think I've made my decision. The Panasonic HTB20 is what I'm going with. I have a Panasonic plasma TV, so it will link up to it with the Viera system so I only need the one remote. This will also let me set it up so it "just works" for TheWife(c) and TheKids(c) when they want to watch Finding Nemo or something and I'm not around. I also like that the soundbar will split into two separate speakers if I can't seem to fit the whole assembly where I want it.

Amazon has a pretty good price on it right now @ less than $150. All in all, I think we'll be happy with it. At this price, I can add a couple of more movies to my collection. Going from DVD to Blu Ray is costing me a small fortune even though I am being quite particular about which movies I'm upgrading. :rolleyes:

Much obliged, as usual. :thumbs:

If I'm not too late...we just purchased a Bassett media console with "built-in" Boston Acoustics (Teevee 25) soundbar w/wireless sub-woofer to go with our new TV. Not "audiophile", but respectable sound and volume for movie watching. The sub-woofer DID crap out after a week...but BA has been great with their communication and willingness to exchange, providing a pre-paid mailer.

That sounds interesting, but I already ordered the Panasonic. If it isn't what I'm looking for, I'll keep that suggestion in mind.

Sorry I'm late here (been sick). But I have been looking at them for awhile now and after listening to several around Christmas time I liked one made by lg the best. Best buy had it a 300 watt system. If for some reason you change your mind ill gladly look up the model for you.

Also an idea that I thought was really neat was something I found called the zbase. Just am interesting idea never heard one. Good luck.

Check out ZVOX. Highly rated, and they place a lot of emphasis on dialogue intelligibility.
Entry level is 2 or 3 hundred bucks. Some soundbars are really great in this regard.

Yamaha YSP are phenomenal in the right environment. i.e, better if you have some side walls nearby to help with the surround effect.

Thought I'd update since folks were so helpful.

I've had the Panasonic HTB20 set up for a few days now and I must say it's a great improvement! We can hear dialogue much better and the 3d sound feature is adequate for what we were looking for. There is noticeable separation and the bass is pretty good given the small size of the sub and the fairly open area.

It's not jaw dropping theater quality, but for our small open air living space, it's quite adequate. The fact that it syncs with the Panasonic TV we already had is great. TheWife(c) and TheKids(c) don't have to learn anything to use it. Just turn on the TV (and the BluRay player if using that [also synced to the TV]) and it works.

Home theater room is in the works. I can't wait to start shopping for that once the time comes.

Can you post a pic of the setup? Are you using it as a soundbar, or separates? I have a Panasonic TV in the bedroom that I would be interested in getting a setup like this for.

Also, does it mount to the TV in some way, or do you mount the soundbar to the wall?

Can you post a pic of the setup? Are you using it as a soundbar, or separates? I have a Panasonic TV in the bedroom that I would be interested in getting a setup like this for.

Also, does it mount to the TV in some way, or do you mount the soundbar to the wall?

I don't have any pics. We're using it as a soundbar. It sits right under the TV in our setup where the TV is raised a little. If you had to put it on the same shelf or level as the TV, it wouldn't fit right and would block the IR sensor on the TV if you put it on the included stands. It doesn't mount to the TV, but it does come with the stands and brackets for a few mounting options. You could certainly mount it to the wall as either a bar or separates. All the hardware is there.

Keep in mind that my TV was manufactured in 2007, so the newer ones may be a bit different.

The sub sits on the floor. It has to be fairly close because that's what everything plugs into and you also need to have it where you can hit it with a remote for volume control. I suppose with longer cables you could put it about anywhere, but the speaker cables the unit comes with are probably 10 ft long or so which doesn't give a whole lot of options.

There's a couple really nice bars here in Vancouver, with cold beer and great burgers.....

....oh, snap, wrong type of bar. Guess you know where my head's at.... :p