• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Any wood workers out there

RichYhlen

I remember way back when I was watching one of those woodworking shows (pre Yankee workshop). What the guy did was to take some Elmer's wood glue and he added wood dust from the project he was doing and made a paste to use as filler. Yes I know wood putty can be bought and used, but what the guy explained was that wood putty wont keep the same color match up when a stain was used. Truth be told I build a shotgun and bow rack for a behind the seat. I tried it and he is correct the glue/sawdust held the stain and was able to hide any defects in the construction. And also when you use it to glue pieces together you wont get the glue line and it sands down great. My main question is has anyone ever knew about this and tried it with Spanish cedar sawdust and was there any smells present from the glue. Elmer's wood glue dont really have any smells and this is why I am asking that question.

I remember way back when I was watching one of those woodworking shows (pre Yankee workshop). What the guy did was to take some Elmer's wood glue and he added wood dust from the project he was doing and made a paste to use as filler. Yes I know wood putty can be bought and used, but what the guy explained was that wood putty wont keep the same color match up when a stain was used. Truth be told I build a shotgun and bow rack for a behind the seat. I tried it and he is correct the glue/sawdust held the stain and was able to hide any defects in the construction. And also when you use it to glue pieces together you wont get the glue line and it sands down great. My main question is has anyone ever knew about this and tried it with Spanish cedar sawdust and was there any smells present from the glue. Elmer's wood glue dont really have any smells and this is why I am asking that question.
I've done it with SC in very small places. I typically will mask off the area around the spot to be fixed. I put a drop of glue on it and wait for it to dry to a gummy texture. Now push in some saw dust and wait for it to cure some more. Now block it down and remove any tape. This should work for you. Good luck.

Every standard wood glue I have ever used has never smelled nor caused anything else to smell differently than the wood I was gluing after it was completely dry.

I prefer titebond II. It's a little thicker that TB III. It just seems to work better for a little patch work. Always remember to clean up any wet glue right away if it's no directly on the repair. Once it gets into the grain and drys, it's a lot of sanding to get rid of it.
:thumbs:

IIRC, spanish cedar dust is toxic.
Wear a dust mask.

I've heard of, and used the dust/glue technique
with success years ago, with different woods.

Chemyst :cool: