• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Anybody else into bicycles?

JayBay

WTB Bratalias
I've been into bicycles virtually my whole life. I worked as a mechanic in a Schwinn shop (back when there was such a thing) in the 80's. I raced BMX, then got into riding ramps and flatland freestyle. Later I got into road bikes, and moutain bikes. Basically, if it has two wheels, I dig it.

Over the last few years, I've gotten into restoring oldies but goodies...mostly 80's stuff from my hey day. My current project is this 1989 Nishiki Ariel mountain bike. I found it in a Salvation Army store...paid 5 bucks for it! It was in need of some serious TLC, though. I tore it down to it's all chromoly frame and forks, cleaned, polished, and regreased everything. I slapped new pedals, tires, grips and seat on it. A new chain should arrive on my doorstep anyday now - and I'll be able to finish it up. Oh - I gotta put the brakes back on, too. That would be good.

DSC_0199.jpg

Here's a few others I've done recently. The first isn't vintage at all. It's a 2003 Mosh BMX 24" cruiser. It had a raw finish, and I had it powdercoated. I also put new pedals, cranks, seat and grips on it. I think it's initial cost was 10 bucks at a police auction.

Mosh_Cruiser.jpg

This one's a 1993 Robinson 20" BMX bike. I bought this in need of TLC off ebay...I think under 50 bucks originally. I rebuilt it with some old-school 80's flair.

im005416.jpg

Next is a Raleigh Gran Sport road bike I found leaning on the dumpster on trash day. I completely tore it down and rebuilt it, also. I think it's from the late 70's. I gave it a little updating to suit my tastes.

IM001029a.jpg

Last one here was my pride and joy. I had to sell it for in a cash flow crunch a few years ago. It's a 1985 Haro Sport. I got the frame from California, and the forks from Florida. I had them powdercoated, and got repro decals from a guy in Jersey. The wheels came from Georgia, and the seat came from England. I can't honestly remember where I gathered up the rest of it. Sure was fun to ride, and just looking at it brought back a lot of fond memories of a more worry-free time in my life.

IM001722.jpg

I don't collect them, but I do ride them. My last, late lamented was a mid-90's Specialized Stumpjumper. However, the mtb scene isn't nearly as big in Philly as Vancouver, so I picked up a road bike on moving. I now have a late-90's Raleigh R600, which I took on a Century last weekend and will be taking on another in a week's time. My wife is trying (which is to say, I'm trying to get her) to get into cycling too; we picked up a new Fuji Newest for her at the start of the summer.

Here is my new ride...

img0018nd1.jpg

Bought it last Thursday and have put well over 200 miles on it already.

I'm a happy camper!

I've got a late 90s Gary Fisher Tassahara MTB for beating on the trails. Still rides well considering its an entry level bike. Nice ride.

Most of my time is spent on a '98 Klein Quantum Race. Nice stiff, quick aluminum road racer. I love the Kleins with the clean looking internal cable routing. This one has the irridescent blue/green fade with the Spinergy Ultralight rims, it was pretty pimp ten years ago!!

I'M OLD SCHOOL DAMMIT!! JUST LIKE MY BIKES :D

I feel like such an outsider: Gunnar Crosshairs configured with drop bars, Schwalbe Marathons, and a Brooks B17.

I need to swap out the rear cluster with something less steep one of these days.

I got a Univega, built with brazed and lugged Columbus tubing and Campy componets. I've owned it for about 25 yrs.

Doc.

With the exception of a cheapo Raleigh Capri that I had in high school, I still have my old bikes dating back to before high school. I have a good ol' Schwinn Varsity that I should really clean up and finish. Good work on those bikes!

Even though I have newer ones, I still gravitate to riding my Trek 8000...it is a fine ride!

Trek 4000 Still good for singletrack (or short trips to grocery/video/convenient store)

Mid 80's Fuji Sagre 12 speed good for after dinner rides or 25-40 on weekends

Looking to increase my stamina enough to actually get further in to road bikes and convince my wife I deserve a titanium frame.

Great thread! :thumbs:

I haven't rode a bike since I can't remember when. About 35 or so years ago, I got an old English three speed that was old then :laugh: and I love it! My "daily" rider back when I was a kid was a 1974 Schwinn ten speed that I rode all over the place. I still have it out in the shed but it's not looking too good these days.... I also still have my 1971 Schwinn "Spyder" bike, a 20" with a banana seat. :D

I'd take a picture of the Schwinns and the English three speed but you'd all laugh at them. :D

1znmwza.jpg

My daily ride. ^

One of these days I'll get a steel framed bike that'll take a little wider tires, but I can't find anything that I like. I'll probably just buy a Surly Crosscheck, but I'm really hoping someone will put out a model like it with disc brakes, or at least frame tabs to support disc brakes.

1znmwza.jpg

My daily ride. ^

One of these days I'll get a steel framed bike that'll take a little wider tires, but I can't find anything that I like. I'll probably just buy a Surly Crosscheck, but I'm really hoping someone will put out a model like it with disc brakes, or at least frame tabs to support disc brakes.

Josh,

I strongly recommend you check out Gunnar's offerings. No disc tabs, but a hell of a frame and accepts a fairly wide tire.

I bought a bike this spring, actually three. I bought an older Schwin Mountain Bike at a yard sale, spent some money fixing it up only to discover that when you fat, riding bent over isn't everything you dreamed.

I bought what the salesman called a "Comfort Bike" and although I don't ride as often as I should, it is much more comfortable to ride.

I am pimping it out a little at a time with the goal of being just like Peewee Herman and own the best bike in the whole world.

My headlight is just so so but my tail light is pimptastic with LED lights that scroll around like KIT from Knight Rider!
bicycle1.jpg

bicycle2.jpg

I have a Cannondale F600 mountain bike circa 1985 with a "headshock." Lots of fun in a light and sturdy package.
Just put on 130 miles in 3 days on the Erie Canal near Rochester. Easy, flat riding with retired friends and lots of bridge in the evenings. The bikes made the trip much more fun ... I love to ride! (If only I had more time!)

Here is mine. I replaced an old (early 90's) trek with her. How much did I pay? Nada...pulled it out of a neighbor's trash pile.....bought a new tube for the rear and cleaned her up and it has been a great bike!

gallery_2000_27_257040.jpg

I have a 2004 Giant Rainer.

I love the bike, my only beef with it is the fork. The shock has way too much travel. Any suggestions for replacement forks?

Are you sure replacement is the solution? Most suspension forks I've seen have some way to adjust the travel...but I'm not familiar with your bike and don't know what forks it has.

That Nishiki is nice! Also has my favorite tires on it. I had a 85 Specialized RockHopper that I was planning to redo, but my girlfriend recently sold it when she was having a yard sale. I wasn't aware she had sold it till I returned home from fishing. She also sold two of my kayaks and accessories for a tenth of what they were worth....

I'm a Specialized fan. I had a 2004 HardRock, then a 2005 StumpJumper FSR. I'm currently bike-less, but I'm looking for another Specialized to rebuild.

I have quite a few, I'll have to get some pictures. I have a few steel road bikes, a cyclocross bike and an an aluminum time trial/tri bike/trainer. I'm a big Campy follower and only my cyclo bike has Shimano on it.