• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Anyone else have a tough draw on Cohiba Maddy #5?

Humidor Minister

I've had 3 now, 2 of which have been my humi at 65% for months, the other I got recently and the draw is tight. Almost unsmokeable. They all came from different resources. I love this cigar, I wish this didn't happen. Anyone else encounter this?

???

And to reply to your post HM, even with my limited experience in CC's, they can sometimes be hit and miss. I have a box of Boli's and I have smoked a few out of it, and one or two were plugged. It happens.

They're not a LOOSE draw... but to say they're too tight for enjoyment I wouldn't agree with.
Chris

Try this next time. May be a pain in the butt, but when you clip it smoke it till the draw gets tough, then unwind an paper clip and poke it in about an inch, this solves my problem, almost all the time. You may have to do this a few times throughout the smoke due to the hole you made closing up, every once in awhile.

David

Or, you can always find my address in my profile, since I think they are great.
Chris

It happens sometimes. I recently lit up a Cohiba EL '06 Piramide that was so plugged I couldn't get it to draw no matter what. I tried poking it with a paper clip and it still wouldn't draw. It sucks but it happens. The next one I smoked from the same box drew perfectly and was a fantastic smoke.

I've had 3 now, 2 of which have been my humi at 65% for months, the other I got recently and the draw is tight. Almost unsmokeable. They all came from different resources. I love this cigar, I wish this didn't happen. Anyone else encounter this?

Which one was it? The only ones I've ever had problems with were the Secretos and of the several I've had, more had tight draws or were plugged than not. I've tried them at several different rH's from 70%, back when I didn't know anything, all the way down to 58% and everything in between. Never had any issues with the Genios or Magicos. One of the absolute worst plugged cigars I ever had was an '04 Siglo VI. Definitely one of my biggest smoking experience disappointments to date. The next one definitely made up for it though.

Couple of thoughts here:

Always, always, ALWAYS test draw before lighting. I can't tell you how many cigars I've saved after cutting by putting them down for a few months or more until they draw. Also, it takes months for cigars to fully acclimate to lower RH which often corrects tight draws. Another thing to consider is fresh cigars sometimes have draw problems. Patience is your friend as you may find with months or even years of humi time most draw problems fade away.

I've had one that the draw wasn't the best. I bought 2 of the same one and one smoked fine and the other had a channel and draw issues. it was an OK smoke and not one that really rocked my world. So yeah, you are not the only one that has seen this but this can be said from any brand from the island. The lack of QC proves it time and again. Then again, I've had the same issues with a few Opus and Anejo's throughout the years.