• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Anyone follow Formula 1?

Well, the season is over. I do hope that someone (hopefully Ferrari) can challenge Red Bull next season, but I'll admit that it was still fun being a part of history being written with the RB19 and Max. I also hope there is some interesting off-season news to keep us busy, too!

Look all in all behind Max there was some really good racing this season. The old man Alonso coming out of the gate firing on all cylinders. The rookie Piastri getting a sprint win and some time on the podium. Lando charging to the front late in the season. Carlos shitting the bed more than a couple times. Haas crashing more then a few times. Etc. You take max out of the equation, it was a fun season to watch.

Silly Season just got way sillier!!!

Silly Season just got way sillier!!!

Somehow, to me anyway, it's not that shocking. Lewis is the driver he once was, and Russell is performing quite well. I feel like Lewis is trying to find somewhere that he would be the #1 guy. He may feel he has lost that at Merc. He can quit for all I care, I don't like the guy.

Did anyone ask Sainz what he thinks about that situation.... Not that anyone cares..

I think Ferrari might need to figure out pit strategy and how to finish races first

That will be interesting. I wonder who will be brought to to race with Russell?

Also. I saw Guenther Steiner at the Rolex 24 Daytona race last weekend. Seems like he might be getting into Le Mans

It's official:

1706817021560.png

Sainz also made a release saying this is his last season in red.

How does this play out psychologically for these drivers?
One is getting cut from the team.
The other has no desire to drive for his team.
Loyalty lost for both.

Just seems like a recipe for bad blood all around.

It would almost make more sense for it to shake out before the 2024 season begins.

Talking with a coworker that is a big time F1 fanatic, we were saying wouldn't it be wild if Alonso moved over to Merc.

I am totally lost when it comes to Formula 1. 🤷‍♂️. How does someone sign with a different team for 2025 multi year contract before even driving one race in 2024.

What if he gets into a bad accident and gets seriously injured. What if he decides to start drinking or doing other stuff. Why would he even care to compete and take any risks to get a win in 2024 🤷‍♂️

Those who understand this sport I would love to learn how these things work

How does this play out psychologically for these drivers?
One is getting cut from the team.
The other has no desire to drive for his team.
Loyalty lost for both.

Just seems like a recipe for bad blood all around.

It would almost make more sense for it to shake out before the 2024 season begins.

Talking with a coworker that is a big time F1 fanatic, we were saying wouldn't it be wild if Alonso moved over to Merc.
I am totally lost when it comes to Formula 1. 🤷‍♂️. How does someone sign with a different team for 2025 multi year contract before even driving one race in 2024.

What if he gets into a bad accident and gets seriously injured. What if he decides to start drinking or doing other stuff. Why would he even care to compete and take any risks to get a win in 2024 🤷‍♂️

Those who understand this sport I would love to learn how these things work
It really comes down to professionalism, and everyone knowing that it is a cutthroat sport. Most of the time, it's not personal. Also, in Sainz's case, he's effectively auditioning for a 2025 seat this season, so it is in his best interest to put in the best performance he can. It's not hard to find oneself without a seat, no matter how deserving you may be -- there's only 20 to go around. Checo was going into the off season without a ride after scoring podiums and a race win at Team Force Stroll right before he was hired by Red Bull. Getting into F1 is tough. Staying there is even tougher. I'd love to see Alonso drive for Merc.

Dan, if I had to guess, I'd say that there was probably a "Ferrari" clause in Hamilton's most recent contract, whereas if he was somehow able to procure a ride with Scuderia Ferrari, Mercedes would let him out of his contract a year early. As for the "what if" questions, he is not some unproven rookie; this is Lewis Hamilton we are talking about. He's probably one of the last drivers on the grid I'd worry about developing some sort of substance abuse issue at this stage. As for why he would try and be competitive, he is desperately trying for his 8th championship (which would put him alone at the top of the record books), as well as pad his pole and win totals so that he is hopefully never passed in any of those categories, either.

It really comes down to professionalism, and everyone knowing that it is a cutthroat sport. Most of the time, it's not personal. Also, in Sainz's case, he's effectively auditioning for a 2025 seat this season, so it is in his best interest to put in the best performance he can. It's not hard to find oneself without a seat, no matter how deserving you may be -- there's only 20 to go around. Checo was going into the off season without a ride after scoring podiums and a race win at Team Force Stroll right before he was hired by Red Bull. Getting into F1 is tough. Staying there is even tougher. I'd love to see Alonso drive for Merc.

Dan, if I had to guess, I'd say that there was probably a "Ferrari" clause in Hamilton's most recent contract, whereas if he was somehow able to procure a ride with Scuderia Ferrari, Mercedes would let him out of his contract a year early. As for the "what if" questions, he is not some unproven rookie; this is Lewis Hamilton we are talking about. He's probably one of the last drivers on the grid I'd worry about developing some sort of substance abuse issue at this stage. As for why he would try and be competitive, he is desperately trying for his 8th championship (which would put him alone at the top of the record books), as well as pad his pole and win totals so that he is hopefully never passed in any of those categories, either.
Thanks Nick

What you said definitely puts things into perspective. In F1 just like in everything else in life one thing is always true. Live and learn. Thank god for those who facilitate the learning process 👍

Just saw this on ESPN which has a few more details in there that I hadn't read yet:

Meet the new F1 season, same as the old F1 season.

I do have a question. Where do indycar drivers come from? Do they aspire to be that or are they washed out of the f1,2,3 whatever circuit and land there?

I do have a question. Where do indycar drivers come from? Do they aspire to be that or are they washed out of the f1,2,3 whatever circuit and land there?
Good question, and a little bit of all of the above.