Anyone into gardening?

Rod

Administrator
Staff member
I love growing plants, especially fruits and vegetables. I'm getting ready for Spring. I grow virtually everything from seed. Just transplanted my Roma and San Marzano tomato sprouts into 3 gallon pots. I have two huge Birdies planter beds coming in from Australia this week, which I'll be growing lots of vegetables in. I recently got rid of my greenhouse and will be using that space for the new beds. Who needs a greenhouse in So Cal anyways?

Also have several Moringa trees I'm growing from seed. One of the coolest trees around, as the entire tree is edible and full of nutrients. It's called the tree of life in some parts of the world, as you can literally live off of it. It will grow 40+ feet per year; most people chop them down each year and they grow to be full size again really fast. Also planted a bunch of pok choi - great for pho! Currently have a 5 gallon bucket garden going as well where I have Napa Cabbage, Cauliflower, Kale, Romaine, etc.

I'll post pictures once I get the backyard cleaned up. I'm doing a complete overhaul of the yard. Stay tuned.

Who else likes to garden? The season is about to get started in most parts of the country.

CigarStone

For once, knowledge is making me poor!
I enjoy growing some basics. Tomotoes and peppers.

FunkyMunky215

I enjoy putting my hands in the dirt. My gardening knowledge is minimal. I have a very modest raised bed and I’ll use planters as well. I do a variety of peppers, they have to be my favorite sweet and hot. I’ll also do some basics : tomatoes, string beans, zucchini, cucumbers, herbs . I did sweet potatoes one year came out great, have to get some in the ground this year.I actually have have to get some seedlings going soon. A good majority of what I grow I end up giving away, too much to store/eat, but I enjoy it. Sounds like your into stuff so I know where I can direct all my dumb gardening questions. Looking forward to some pics.

Thoughts

Forehead wrinkle king
Does anyone do any out of earth gardening? Hanging vegetables, no soil beds, anything out of ground indoor mini greenhouse, etc. The problem out here is I’m wanting to grow some, not a lot. Also, the beds get tore to hell with our weather swings.

Rod

Administrator
Staff member
Does anyone do any out of earth gardening? Hanging vegetables, no soil beds, anything out of ground indoor mini greenhouse, etc. The problem out here is I’m wanting to grow some, not a lot. Also, the beds get tore to hell with our weather swings.

I do some indoor gardening too. Also done hydroponics as well, primarily using DWC (deep water culture). I have a couple of indoor grow tents. One of my tents is full of cascabella peppers, which I can harvest a ton from non-stop. Best thing about indoor gardening is there are no pests to deal with (assuming you use quality soil like Fox Farm), and you can control the environment for constant harvests. Cascabella peppers are those really good/hot peppers you find at fast food restaurants like In N Out. :) For some reason the seeds are rare and hard to get. I grow and can my own, as I don't like that store bought ones as they use yellow coloring - causes headaches.

I winterized my pepper garden, so they are beginning to take off again. I have Jalapeno M, Early Jalapeno, Pablanos, Habanero, Cayenne, Bell Peppers, Ghost, Sweet Banana and Serrano's. I'm going to be adding Tabasco, Ancho Grande and Italian Pepperoncini's this season.

If we get enough interest, I'll create a Gardening sub-forum under General. With everything going on in the world lately, it's a good idea to start growing your own food...

CigarStone

For once, knowledge is making me poor!

Is out of Earth gardening something like an out-of-body experience?

Probably is for the vegetables :cool:

bfreebern

Yada, Yada, Yada.
Yes, love vegetable gardening. I need to start earlier this year with my spring garden. Going to try and get brussel sprouts, broccoli, carrots, cabbabe started in the next few weeks.

Breedy

Busted
We "urban garden" now. Just tomatoes, cucumbers, some peppers, kale and herbs. It's nice to be able to walk outside and grab fresh ingredients.

We used to help maintain a pretty good sized garden at my in-laws with zucchini/squash, Brussel sprouts, egg plant, broccoli, cabbage, potatoes, beans, corn etc. Even planted pumpkins one year... Got one up over 100lbs.

Succubus

Me! I actually do it for a living too. I manage the landscape/grounds and culinary gardens at a winery here. I get to have some fun and order all kinds of unique and cool varieties. I love ordering from Baker Creek since they have rare heirloom varieties. Check them out if you haven’t already!

I don’t have a greenhouse, but I have an indoor lighting system at work and have all of my starts in there for spring. My starts are mostly nightshades and herbs since I direct seed beans/cucurbits family plants. I will be transplanting the starts into larger containers soon!

I’d love to see pics of everyone’s gardens!

Nihon_Ni

真喜志友幸
My wife got me this for Christmas so I could grow my own herbs. We had a huge vegetable garden when I was a kid, but I haven't planted my own garden since.

2021-03-02 11.17.13.jpg