• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Anyone into mining?

BSchmidt1981

I'm curious if any of the members here have ever done any mining (specifically for gold). I purchased a classifier and pan a few years ago to take camping. Has anyone ever done any dredging or sluicing? I've been thinking about purchasing a small sluice box for this coming summer. I will say that I did find color once (one very, very small flake of gold). It was worth the 2 hours and the 6 pack of beer that it took to get it. :)

I've done some panning. I can't anymore due to back problems. I enjoyed it, I am very patient, and the activity fit my temperment.
I probably wound up with approx 1/2 oz of gold, that I traded for a gold coin years ago.

Metal detecting was my next option. Never got that going, as I got married, had a son, etc. When he gets a bit older, I can see us doing that together.

I've read some amazing stories related to both.

I tagged along with a fella for a weekend of mining about 10 years ago. It was fun, but it's a lot of work and expense with a pretty slim chance of payoff even these days (according to him).

I came away with the conclusion that it could be a fun hobby if you're into it, but it's not really something I'd look at as an investment or anything at that scale.

I say have fun with it. I'm in favor of just about anything that gets people, especially kids, into the great outdoors.

I got a Ranger metal detector last year, however haven't gone hunting yet. I meant to take it to the volleyball courts at the beach this past summer however never got around to it. I need to make a point to give it a test drive soon!

I'm curious if any of the members here have ever done any mining (specifically for gold). I purchased a classifier and pan a few years ago to take camping. Has anyone ever done any dredging or sluicing? I've been thinking about purchasing a small sluice box for this coming summer. I will say that I did find color once (one very, very small flake of gold). It was worth the 2 hours and the 6 pack of beer that it took to get it. :)

I work for a mining company, does that count? ;)

I would say so. I was thinking more along the recreational lines though. I have always had this crazy idea of having a nice summer cabin in Alaska on a small claim when I retire.

I would say so. I was thinking more along the recreational lines though. I have always had this crazy idea of having a nice summer cabin in Alaska on a small claim when I retire.

I have not done the panning, however i have plans to do so in the near future. Working in the mining industry, I am a natural rock hound. I have some good leads on some promising areas to prospect.

I looked into opening my own strip mine operation, but some of that equipment is expensive. And putting in a rail spur just made it financially unfeasible.

I tagged along with a fella for a weekend of mining about 10 years ago. It was fun, but it's a lot of work and expense with a pretty slim chance of payoff even these days (according to him).

I came away with the conclusion that it could be a fun hobby if you're into it, but it's not really something I'd look at as an investment or anything at that scale.

I say have fun with it. I'm in favor of just about anything that gets people, especially kids, into the great outdoors.
Those hobo teeth are hard to get out i'm sure

Those hobo teeth are hard to get out i'm sure

You have no idea...

As I came home after taking my daughter to bowling this morning I checked my DVR. Wouldn't you know it the latest Gold Fever episode that was recorded last night was filmed in Idaho. My daughters mom has a bunch of friends that live north of Boise (Idaho City). I'm going to have to hook up with a few of them this spring/summer and see if they will let me mess around on their claims for a weekend or two.

I've been small mining here in New Mexico for about 10 years. Its hard work and there is nothing better then seeing some gold in your pan after a few house of hard work. I mainly drywash because the is no water on my claims. And relax with a sixer of Octoberfest beer and an Oktoberfest cigar.

I got a Ranger metal detector last year, however haven't gone hunting yet. I meant to take it to the volleyball courts at the beach this past summer however never got around to it. I need to make a point to give it a test drive soon!

Playgrounds will amaze you with how much money you can pull out of them.

I have also looked into metal detectors too. Mainly for looking around piles of tailings. NMS what do you use for dry washing? One of the Gold Fever shows that I watched a few weeks ago had him using one of those types of devices. It looked like it had an accordion style pump on the side that used air to vibrate the material through it. Is it something like that?

I use a drywasher called Gold Buddy it takes a leaf blower to run it. Its loud and dusty but it gets it done. The style with the accordion blower is called a puffer. They are slower but are not as loud or dusty. And some are considered non mechanized is areas where you can't use motors for small mining. I also use a Whites GMT for detecting.

Hunting for gold, big game or small, good booze or even olive oil, do your research. I saw a guy who while on his vacation,
would take approx. 100 bags of material from a site and process it when he returned home. It would pay for his trip.

Before banks, "businessmen" would hide their wealth on their land. Some the stone walls that run the property (like Shaw shank Redemption) .
Metal detectors are great in old homesteads. Even when you see an old cobblestone foundations, with just the chimney standing.
Hit the stones, behind a lose stone is where some people would keep their $$$. Also, I have researched Historical State Markers,
"On this site in 1782, Doctor Brimmers Farm."Where did the good Doctor hide his $$$?

Happy hunting.