• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Anyone Need A Wine Fridge Humi?

bfisher88

Livin' The Dream
See here

I actually saw these in my local Home Depot a few days ago til the wife found me and promptly said "Don't even think about it" :)

See here

I actually saw these in my local Home Depot a few days ago til the wife found me and promptly said "Don't even think about it" :)

$148?? Heck of a price for a wine cooler, even one that has mixed reviews. According to one review, upper 50's is the warmest it will go.

Compressor cooling system. I thought that won't work for humidors.

This is not my area of expertise, but I believe it could still work just not ideal because you will have larger swings in humidity... I think. You would have to do something about the temperature as well, but as I remember from looking into this a long time ago, there is a way around it by adding some kind of external device that regulates the temperature of the cooler and allows it to get a higher temperature... mid 60's.

Hell... if nothing more, makes for a good wine cooler, imagine that. :)

This is not my area of expertise, but I believe it could still work just not ideal because you will have larger swings in humidity... I think. You would have to do something about the temperature as well, but as I remember from looking into this a long time ago, there is a way around it by adding some kind of external device that regulates the temperature of the cooler and allows it to get a higher temperature... mid 60's.

Hell... if nothing more, makes for a good wine cooler, imagine that. :)

I bought one very similar to this (compressor cooling) for my wine and craft beer. The one thing I will give it is that it holds temp very well, however, humidity is insane! I put my hygro in just to see as there is a lot of condensation on the bottles esp during the summer. It came out to 85%. I can imagine that would be a nightmare to regulate, even with beads. It even gets to the point where some of my labels start wrinkling up.

Compressor cooling system. I thought that won't work for humidors.

The problem with compressor cooling systems is that they will have very large swings in humidity every time it kicks on to cool the fridge. This is why I've stayed away from using my old college fridge as a humidor. I mean the humidity swings were insane. The other problem is typically you can't keep them warm enough but there are ways around that if you want to install a new thermostat on the thing.

I don't ever have my cooler plugged in as it is never that hot here thankfully, so this would work fine in my case. Others in hot climates obviously may have some trouble.

For smokes, I just augment my HVAC system with a portable A/C unit in the room where my humidor and cooler are.
The cost is negligible as there is only about 4 to 10 degrees differance from the Whole House system.
A/C units have been much more reliable tha vinotemps, in my personal experience.

For wine, I honestly think I would go with a compressor over a Thermoelectric.
Not knowing a true expert's take (say somebody like Josh or David) as it relates to what wine itself might prefer.
I just know that a compressor fridge is one of engineering's more perfect designs. They last forever.
I read an article years ago where the Engineer/Author stated that a fridge compressor can easily last 30 years, with many lasting 50 plus. They basically very rarely break.
He went on to say that you can go to a junkyard, and most of the refrigerators there will have been thrown away
for everything but a failed compressor. Door seal, color not liked, redecorating, finish damage, etc.

Interesting, that compressor fridges have such longevity. I dont know enought amout mechanical engineering, or refrigeration systems, but what is the difference btwn compressor and thermoelectric fridge systems?

For smokes, I just augment my HVAC system with a portable A/C unit in the room where my humidor and cooler are.
The cost is negligible as there is only about 4 to 10 degrees differance from the Whole House system.
A/C units have been much more reliable tha vinotemps, in my personal experience.

For wine, I honestly think I would go with a compressor over a Thermoelectric.
Not knowing a true expert's take (say somebody like Josh or David) as it relates to what wine itself might prefer.
I just know that a compressor fridge is one of engineering's more perfect designs. They last forever.
I read an article years ago where the Engineer/Author stated that a fridge compressor can easily last 30 years, with many lasting 50 plus. They basically very rarely break.
He went on to say that you can go to a junkyard, and most of the refrigerators there will have been thrown away
for everything but a failed compressor. Door seal, color not liked, redecorating, finish damage, etc.