• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Anyone useing StogieRate Cigar Inventory V. 3.0

I handle my collection the old fashioned way...cigar dossier & my memory (with blank bands to help me out).

That program looks cool though, hopefully one day I could actually put a new system to use, as I don't plan on rating my cigars in a dossier my whole life. But, I think I'll need a few hundred/thousand more cigars in my collection first! :sign:

I actually thought about inputing all my brands, ratings, dates, etc. into a statistical program, probably MiniTab. It would essentially keep track of all my info, like excel would, plus I'd be able to create graphs and models to see how my ratings are distributed; probably normally (I'm a mathematics major/nerd)

That does look pretty cool, I'm not sure that I'd pay for it, however. I do have an excel spreadsheet that I have been way too anal about keeping up with, however.

Would you recommend a dossier? I am just collecting my bands right now and am going to mount my favorites on a poster and frame it for my man room. I want to start, but I don't want ever smoking experience to be like work...maybe once the newness wears off.

There's a freeware available called Cigar Briefcase. It looks like a Microsoft Access Database but it's better than that plain old Excel database you'd might start up.

Linky

Cool program. I have never thought about something like this. This is something a newbie like me will be checking out.

I have it and like it. I had the V2 first, and got a free upgrade to v3 since I had just purchased the v2 a few weeks ago (a nice touch, I thought).

The guy who runs it is a CP member, so I thought I'd give it a try. Yes - it is a glorified spread sheet on the surface - but what I like most about it is the ability to add pictures of cigars (readily available on Google images) and the way to leave extensive notes about each particular cigar. Even allows you to keep up with your "source" (B&M, retailer, friend, etc.).

I'm a bit of a geek - so I looked at the various options. The Stogie Rate v3 seems great.

Whether electronic or paper - I do see great benefit in keeping notes as I've already had enough to have forgotten the nuances of some. Most especially - it helps me keep track of what I don't like.

PM if I can help w/ specific questions about my experience with it.

John

CP member 'eh? Might have to give this a shot then -- using a plain old Excel sheet right now!

Just recently downloaded.
It is nicer than excel spreadsheet, but I surprised by how limited i found the program. As a Mac user, I am used to better interfaces. However, as a simple database program with some preloaded bands and cigar images it's a good start. [no offense to the creator here, just my unsolicited thoughts on the program, Peace, pugs]

There's a freeware available called Cigar Briefcase. It looks like a Microsoft Access Database but it's better than that plain old Excel database you'd might start up.

Linky

Thanks for the link Nasty, I DL'd it and it's working great. Doesn't have all the bells and whistles, but you get the general idea of it! :thumbs:

Too much work. I take, I smoke, I buy more when space opens up.

Yeah...I've logged 47 different cigars so far now... Might be having second thoughts. This would have been a hell of a lot easier when I was buying Acids and Macanudos!!

::sigh::

FYI for Cigar Inventory Software, I've had nothing but problems with Cigar Register. Their main site is in Russian or something, and I keep having "line errors" whenever I try to add my Humidor to the program.

It has a great concept with built-in information regarding lengths, ring gauges, where the cigars come from, etc. but way too many bugs. So many bugs, that you can't even USE the damn software. Seriously, you literally can't use it for what it's intended to do. If you can't add a Humidor, you can't add a cigar to your inventory, and if you can't do that then the program is useless. Oh well, on to the next one...

PS- Cigar Briefcase is okay, but I can't maximize the window to fill my computer screen. That gets annoying. Still looking for something better.

Here's an easy question for those with it already. Are most regular production cigars already in the database so I just have to search and find everything I have? For example, if I want to add that I have two boxes of Tatuaje Noella Reservas all I have to do would be find that brand, then select the cigar and enter my quantity, age, where purchased etc.? I don't have to actually input the brand and vitola and size etc., right?

One of the main reasons I've never started an excel spreadsheet is because it would just take too long to enter all that information for the 100+ different brands/sizes that are probably in my humidor.

Here's an easy question for those with it already. Are most regular production cigars already in the database so I just have to search and find everything I have? For example, if I want to add that I have two boxes of Tatuaje Noella Reservas all I have to do would be find that brand, then select the cigar and enter my quantity, age, where purchased etc.? I don't have to actually input the brand and vitola and size etc., right?

One of the main reasons I've never started an excel spreadsheet is because it would just take too long to enter all that information for the 100+ different brands/sizes that are probably in my humidor.

In my experience with CB, I had to enter EVERYTHING. It sucks... :angry:

I think I'm going to buy Stogie rate. It looks pretty decent and it's only $11.00. Plus, I enjoy Doc's podcast so its a way of saying thanks.
I'll let you guys know what I think.

I bought SR 3.0 when David Diaz announced it and I am glad that I did. Here's an attempt at a review:

Creating cigar software is a labour of love. While we are now experiencing a boom in cigar purchases, there are just not that many people willing to buy such specialized software. If one doesn't want to buy, there are a couple of free alternatives - humibase.com and cigarregister.com. So why did I pay $11 for StogieRate - without even a demo to play with?

Well, to be honest, I bought because of a misunderstanding. I thought that buying StogieRate meant that I would get all the review, pics, etc., of cigars on the StogieFresh review site. The SF review site takes forever to load, so it would be nice to have that database accessible locally if it would load faster. I was wrong. Another thing that I would like to do is be able to see/organize/summarize together multiple notes on the same cigar, e.g., sticks smoked from the same box. The SF review site does this to some extent.

Unfortunately, the StogieRate software doesn't have the website review database, for what are now-understandable reasons. The software also isn't directly setup for multiple reviews. I found a bug within a half-hour of using the software. So ...

Cigar software is pretty simple stuff. A spreadsheet is all you really need, and that only if you want stats. So what does the software really need to do? Besides work correctly, two things:
1. It should make entering the information as painless as possible; and
2. It should give you analysis reports of your collection.

The first, data entry, is where StogieRate shines. It isn't a fancy design, but it is very evolved and thus well-laid out. Getting your collection in and keeping the database up-to-date is about as painless is it'll get (use the tab key). Overall, excellent functional forms design. I entered my boxes/fivers, but left the singles drawer un-entered.

Import/export from Excel is also possible. I don't have a huge collection, and my Excel spreadsheet was out-of-date, so I didn't use the import. However, the export to Excel is painless - just remember to choose the fields that you want :blush: - so further analysis can be done in Excel, e.g., a smoke-next report.

Analysis reports are new to StogieRate 3.0. One report is given in two flavours. Clicking 'Sort by Price' gives you your whole collection, while clicking 'Sort by Age' excludes boxes/fivers/etc. that you've completely smoked, and individual sticks that you've smoked, i.e., only sticks that you can smoke now are displayed. Basic totals are shown - though I would've liked to have seen an 'Average Price of Stogie' as well.

gallery_8948_949_51694.jpg

(edit: some pics of cigars, e.g., the RASS above, are included, as are many pics of bands. Easy to add your own.)

Note that 'Age' refers to the date of purchase. If you want to use box date instead, you have to put the box date in the date of purchase field (and, I guess, enter the date of purchase in the box date field).

With data entry and reporting covered off nicely by StogieRate, let's get back to the software working. One can't complain about free software, but software purchased is different. As mentioned previously, I found a bug in the software. This bug was related to new-to-v3.0 non-core functionality, and could not affect the database.The bug was found within hours. You cannot get better support.

As with most mature software, you must go through the help/info file http://www.stogiefresh.com/stogie_rate_help.htm to get the most out of the software. Where the help was not helpful to me, Mr. Diaz gave timely and helpful responses to my e-mails.

So, on the whole, software that worked well enough to get me to enter my sticks, a useful summary report, and excellent support.

Thank you baldhead for that excellent post! Very helpful and insightful information, I think I may just go ahead and get this!

Now, a friend of mine was wondering if there's a way to lock or password protect the info so others in their household couldn't open the file and bust their ass.

Thank you baldhead for that excellent post! Very helpful and insightful information, I think I may just go ahead and get this!

Now, a friend of mine was wondering if there's a way to lock or password protect the info so others in their household couldn't open the file and bust their ass.
You're welcome!

Note that I didn't try to import anything.

As for passwording, there is an option to set a password for "Admin." However, if you do, "Guest" still has access. Guests can't add, but they can see the summary page above. I'll ask. Edit: Nope, as: nobody's asked before; separate downloads would have to be maintained; and a password can only be changed but not removed.

As for ass-busting, no external help needed. I sh*t myself when I saw how much I've spent. Scary stuff.