• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Applying Sailor's Wax

Ivanovich

Will Design for Leaf
I just got a couple small pucks of sailor's wax.

My desktop humi (15-20 sticks size) leaks humidity a bit. I've read through every post I can find about the wax. The only suggestion I found for how to actually use the wax was to apply it to contact points. I'm seeking clarification on this. I'm guessing I just go for a thin coating where the outside of the ridge on the base rests against the inside of the lid.

Thanks for the input.

I just got a couple small pucks of sailor's wax.

My desktop humi (15-20 sticks size) leaks humidity a bit. I've read through every post I can find about the wax. The only suggestion I found for how to actually use the wax was to apply it to contact points. I'm seeking clarification on this. I'm guessing I just go for a thin coating where the outside of the ridge on the base rests against the inside of the lid.

Thanks for the input.

Can I ask - how long have you had this humi - and what exactly makes you think that it is leaking humidity.

Ron

I seasoned it with Boveda seasoning packets. I don't open it every darned day wondering what the RH% is at. I've got 65% heartfelt beads in it. the once or twice a week I open it, it's always in low 50s unless I've got a small cup of distilled water in there with it. Even with some water in there, the beads are always about 100% solid white, which viper says means they're dry. The digital hydro I have has been salt tested to within 2%. It's the only thing else I can think of. Aside from that, the opening and closing motion of the lid doesn't feel very 'snug'.

Ivanovich, I'm sorry to ask the obvious but that's the best place to start. Are you charging your beads? Even with a leaky lid they shouldn't be completely dried out in a couple of days.

I seasoned it with Boveda seasoning packets. I don't open it every darned day wondering what the RH% is at. I've got 65% heartfelt beads in it. the once or twice a week I open it, it's always in low 50s unless I've got a small cup of distilled water in there with it. Even with some water in there, the beads are always about 100% solid white, which viper says means they're dry. The digital hydro I have has been salt tested to within 2%. It's the only thing else I can think of. Aside from that, the opening and closing motion of the lid doesn't feel very 'snug'.

So everytime you open the lid - the beads are white. What do you do then? Do you add distilled water to them? Look at the picture below - the beads when you "charge" them - i.e. add distilled water - should look clear like you see on the right side of the picture.
Keep in mind that we are just trying to help you out (esp before you start applying wax) - so don't take offense to the question we both are asking - we just need to start at the beginning to be able to help you. And something just does not sound right from your description.

Ron

dscf0031_std.jpg

Back