• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Are there any Visio users?

blair

Anyone happen to use Visio for their job? I'm just curious. I recently ordered myself a copy of Visio 2003 at work. Surprisingly, I have been finding many uses for it. I'm just wondering if anyone else here uses it.

I use it all the time, but then again, I'm a computer programmer.

MonkeyK said:
I use it all the time, but then again, I'm a computer programmer.
Are you? Oh, you shouldn't have told me that! Now, I'm going to be constantly hitting you up for advice! :D

When I got it late last week I drew up a bunch of things. But then again, I was looking for things to which I could apply it. However, this week I began designing a database (mySQL) for a new big project. I have very little experience with SQL and I thought "Bingo!" Visio would be great to organize my structures. To my surprise, Visio comes with a database template :0 . So far, I'm very happy with Visio. It seems to be a lot more complex than "meets the eye" (so-to-speak.) What do you use it for? I would think, for a programmer, it would be lacking a bit (since it is so broad in application) and maybe some UML designer (such as Rational Rose, for example) would be more complete for your projects.

When you want a quick diagram, Visio is indespensable. I used to get along OK with Powerpoint, but Visio gives me more power, without any additional effort.

I use it for:
Flowcharting
Dataflow diagrams
System Architectures

and I just created my first class diagram with it (not a very good one though).

I don't do database design at work. I am in grad school where I have designed databases with Sybase Powerdesigner. This is a really cool tool that can be used to diagram the data entities and then build the DDL (data definition language) SQL to create the tables.

I only use when Visio (mainly on flow diagrams)

1) It's more imporatnt to get it done quicky than look good
2) PPT doesn't do the job

Otherwise I use Adobe Illustrator or PhotoShop.

Cheers,
Dixie

Visio is a great program.. I have used it for electrical drawings... Flowcharts.. and I even designed my cigar shop with it.
Its a great program

Wow, that's kinda freaky.....I just shut down Visio to check out what was at CP and saw this post. Nice program, I use it for the same reasons everyone else posted, but I'm NOT a programmer!! :)

I used to run (4) puter labs at a medical school. I used it to map out machines and all the periph's with serial #'s, inventory #'s, etc. throughout our labs.

Horse said:
I used to run (4) puter labs at a medical school. I used it to map out machines and all the periph's with serial #'s, inventory #'s, etc. throughout our labs.
That's right. It has some excellent networking design templates built in (or, at least the 2003 version does. I don't know about the previous versions.)