• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Are these fake?

tolije

I obtained this box of H Upmann Connoisseur No 1 from a reliable source some months ago(will reveal via PM depending on outcome). I was originally suspicious because, up to that point, I only knew that this particular vitola was packaged unbanded. I also had some concerns with the band quality. The contruction of the cigar seemed a bit off also.

I contacted the source and was supplied with the explanation that Upmann had begun banding all of their cigars. I conducted more internet research and learned the same thing. After a month or so in the coolidor, I lit on up and was very impressed. It became a new favorite of mine. But you have to understand that I have very, very little experience with cigars from this particular region of the world. I figured at this point, that if they are fake, at least they are good. So I continued to smoke one every once in a while. I did not put much more thought into the source possibly dealing in fakes because so many others seem to use this source - many with considerable experience.

Now on to what caused me to post this. I was browsing the net when I came across this article at CA. The bands on my cigars are alot closer to the counterfeits than that of the genuine article.

I have included pics for those with experience.
conn1-label1.jpg

conn1-label2.jpg

conn1-label3.jpg

conn1-7.jpg

conn1-6.jpg

conn1-2.jpg

conn1-3.jpg

I was browsing the net when I came across this article at CA. The bands on my cigars are alot closer to the counterfeits than that of the genuine article.
My cab of Mag46 has the seal on the other side of the box but your vendor is considered trustworthy.

Relax.

Smoke 'em.

Enjoy 'em.

Wilkey

They have all of the asthetics to verify authenticity but as always, "the proof is in the pudding."

I was browsing the net when I came across this article at CA. The bands on my cigars are alot closer to the counterfeits than that of the genuine article.
My cab of Mag46 has the seal on the other side of the box but your vendor is considered trustworthy.

Relax.

Smoke 'em.

Enjoy 'em.

Wilkey
Thanks much, Wilkey.

I feel much better now. The article had me questioning them. They are great smokes. I have ordered many times from the same vendor. This is the only shippment I have ever had questions about.

I had a H.Upmann PC from a sampler that had a similiar looking band. I thought it was off too, but it smoked fine and I knew the source so all is well. :)

Relax.

Smoke 'em.

Enjoy 'em.

Wilkey

I was wondering about that...all of the SLB's I have - not many - have the labels <both> on the other side.

How might this be explained?

HI,
A friend brought me one of these today at work. He said hes had them for 10 years. The label the same, accept mine has a wrapper on it with a red pull thingy on it

I looked thru the MRN book and found variations of the band but yours looks ok. As for the guarantee seal I was under the impression that they always appear on the left side of the box but that is not true. I looked into my humidor and found at least 3 boxes with the seal on the right side. They are all cabinets and curiously enough they all came from Europe. Also as of last year Habanos has been banding everything.

In my experience, counterfeiters are more apt to fake a dress box than a cabinet. Cabinet fakes are rare. But finally, if you have an experienced palate, the smoke test should tell you as to its originality. Be nice if you had a reference point.

Not sure, but damn your camera takes nice pics!
Actually, it is my wife's. A Panasonic DMC FZ5, set to macro and following Wilkey's picture taking instructions from other posts.

Can you point me to these instructions?

Brian

Oops. Seems I gave Wilkey credit for someone else's great advice. He does provide so much though, it is an easy mistake. I have been searching for the original post to place proper credit, but have been unsuccessful.

Whomever it was stated something about using a tripod or placing the thumb of your hand holding the cigar against the camera for macro shots. This helps keep the subject and camera steady with eac other.

Since I have no tripod, I tried this and it seems to work.

I apoplogize to the the member that originally provided this info for misplacing credit.

Actually, it is my wife's. A Panasonic DMC FZ5, set to macro and following Wilkey's picture taking instructions from other posts.

Brian

Oops. Seems I gave Wilkey credit for someone else's great advice. He does provide so much though, it is an easy mistake. I have been searching for the original post to place proper credit, but have been unsuccessful.

Whomever it was stated something about using a tripod or placing the thumb of your hand holding the cigar against the camera for macro shots. This helps keep the subject and camera steady with eac other.

I apoplogize to the the member that originally provided this info for misplacing credit.

Your post triggered my memory. Here is the post I think you're referring to.

here

Wilkey

Brian

Your post triggered my memory. Here is the post I think you're referring to.

here

Wilkey

So I guess that I did place credit correctly. That is the exact post that I was trying to locate. That was the advice that worked so well.

Wilkey provides so much good info, he has forgotten more than I will ever learn.