• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Arganese Trip... with some pictures!

Dave

Padilla Lanceros, yum yum!!
Hey guys, I figured it's about time I get off my butt and actually post up some pics from my trip down to the factory.

IMG_0455.jpg

First, these are the guys I who joined us on the trip. There were only four people scheduled, and thanks to that, we all got our own room.
From left to right: Tony, Dave (myself), Cristobal (our host and factory manager), Rich, and Charlie. This is the bar area, stocked with rum and beer in the fridge. Scotch and Cognac not included.

Now for some pictures of Gene's house, where we stayed at. I'm sure they will be self explanatory.

IMG_0447.jpg

Nelson, the cook. He has dreams to go to Europe and make a living as a chef, preferably Spain and Italy. He can make many different types of cuisines, but I was asking for something more Dominican and asked him if he could make some morir sonando. The next day, we had some for breakfast, it was fantastic.

IMG_0449.jpg

Jose, the housekeeper. Big baseball fan at heart. He kept the house very clean and aesthetically nice, always provided us with freshly washed towels and made our beds.

IMG_0456.jpg

Right side of the pool and jacuzzi.

IMG_0457.jpg

Left side of the pool where we get in.

IMG_0458.jpg

The coconut trees. Fresh coconut is pretty tasty.

IMG_0462.jpg

Sights from the rear balcony.

IMG_0460.jpg

Our neighbors from over yonder.

IMG_0463.jpg

The Arganese bus.

IMG_0464.jpg

One of the many living rooms.

IMG_0465.jpg

Yet another living room.

IMG_0466.jpg

The lounging area downstairs. This is where we spent most of our smoking time, as it was conveniently located near the bar.

IMG_0473.jpg

This dining set was left by the previous owner of the house. I didn't know what prompted that person to have a Chinese influenced area, but I'm glad Gene kept it. It gave a nice little diversity from the mostly western style furniture found throughout the rest of the pad.

Now on to the factory...

IMG_0426.jpg

The man responsible for the blends, Simon Bolivar. Here he is preparing to roll cigars just for us.

IMG_0409.jpg

IMG_0404.jpg

IMG_0410.jpg

IMG_0405.jpg

The above four pictures show the mounds and mounds of tobacco leaves still in the fermenting process.

IMG_0402.jpg

Cristobal showing us a fermented corojo leaf soon to be made into a wrapper.

IMG_0397.jpg

The factory workers rolling away. They were all pleasant, and said hi to us while still working. I'm impressed by the amount of concentration they have to slave away at the tables making cigars. There are two people working in a team, one buncher and one roller.

IMG_0413.jpg

IMG_0414.jpg

IMG_0417.jpg

This is how they pack the tobacco into bales. They use wax paper to cover the bundles, then use an enormous vice to press it down, then the canvas clothes are sewn together, and later labeled.

IMG_0422.jpg

One of the workers rolls a cigar for us, made entirely of ligero leaf. Very spicy, very flavourful, and very strong.

IMG_0423.jpg

IMG_0424.jpg

IMG_0425.jpg

Pictures of the humidor. Cigars as far as the eye can see.

IMG_0430.jpg

IMG_0431.jpg

IMG_0432.jpg

IMG_0433.jpg

Pictures of the aging room. Soon these will become cigars ready to be packed and shipped. Takes at least three months for the finished cigar to reach smokeable quality.

IMG_0434.jpg

The quality control room/blend room. They use a scale to weight the cigars, and if the bundles deviate too much from the norm, they are taken apart and inspected individually. In this room are also bags full of various tobaccos, along with ingredient lists for each blend showing how much of each respective tobacco leaf is used for that particular blend.

IMG_0435.jpg

The sorting, banding, and packaging room. The cigars go through their final quality control procedure, then sorted by color, and then banded.

IMG_0438.jpg

Banded cigars. That tray has a measurement on the sides that show the where to put the bands, how long they should be, etc.

IMG_0437.jpg

IMG_0439.jpg

IMG_0443.jpg

The packaging department hard at work.

More to come once I figure out how to add more pictures. But this is the main idea of the factory. I didn't take pictures of the fields because of several reasons:

1) Most of them were already picked clean
2) A crop of tobacco is no different than crop of corn when it grows, you just see fields and fields of it.
3) There's not much to a curing barn, other than the tobacco strung up on the beams all over the place.
and 4) I feel the factory is where most of the labor is done, thus watching how the employees do their job, I feel a greater appreciation for the cigars (not just Arganese cigars, but all cigars) and am better able to enjoy them better.

Nice pics Dave! Looks like you had a blast.

Great pics, Dave. That 100% ligero smoke have your head spinning?

Dave thanks for sharing, you'll have to tell us more on Wednesday!

Thank you VERY much for my virtual vacation :laugh:...great shots!!!

Dave, that's great stuff. Thanks for posting. It looks like you had a blast! If the rest of the Arganese clan was as pleasant and generous as Gene was out at the Vegas herf, I'm sure it was a trip to remember.

- Tim

Nice pics Dave, that's certainly an awesome trip! Where was Gino in any of them?

Nice pics :thumbs:

Here are the last of them to finish off the experience...

IMG_0444.jpg

The finished product. As you might recognize, these are all of the Maduro torpedos.

IMG_0445.jpg

The shrinkwrap machine. Don't leave home without it.

IMG_0446.jpg

The boxes and boxes of CL3 ready for shipment.

There ends the weekend get-away at Casa de Arganese.

It was definitely informative, and an eye opening experience. If any of you ever get an opportunity, I advise going on it.

Great pics, Dave. That 100% ligero smoke have your head spinning?

Almost tossed my salad after finishing it. It was all strength but had a monotonous flavour throughout, lacking any form of complexity. Definitely something I would smoke while mowing the lawn.

Nice pics Dave, that's certainly an awesome trip! Where was Gino in any of them?

Gene was still in Rhode Island working on how to compensate his company for the SCHIP tax, so sadly he never had a chance to come down and join us.

Nice pics, Dave. Looks like you had a great trip.

/Lou