• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Armagnacs

Azonie

I got a bottle of Larressingle Tres Vieil Armagnac 1967 (32 years) for my birthday.

I've never had an armagnac and admittedly never even heard of the stuff until about a year ago. Anybody familiar? What do I have to look forward to?

Armagnac is to cognac as velvet is to silk.

I prefer the rich character of Armagnac over the silky cognacs, though I cannot comment on that particular bottle, I am sure you will enjoy your first Armagnac experience.

HERE is a link to a pretty good discussion on Armagnacs. The only one I've ever had was simply delicious. Hope you enjoy it.

I didn't even know this was real. Only time I had heard of it was in the Sopranos episode where Tony loans Arthur Bucco money for an Armagnac investment because Arthur said it was the new vodka and the deal fell thru so Arty tried to commit suicide.

I had my first bottle last year. I will probably not buy anymore cognacs. I've had cognacs that were twice the price that were not as good.

Armagnac is right next to the Cognac region and for all practical purposes is the same. I read once that the difference is the same as being blindfolded and riding in a Rolls and then a Bentley. As far a bang for the buck Armagnac is certainly the winner there.

Adding to AVB's posting about region, the other major difference is the number of distillations, I am almost positive Armagnac is one less distillation than cognac and sometimes carries more bite. I do feel the more Armagnac ages the better it gets. I find this true more so with Armagnac than any other spirit.

Yes, Cognac is distilled twice in pot stills and Armagnac is usually distilled once in column stills. However, Armagnac (usually) spends more time in wood.

Armangac can be amazing. Cognac is like tequila, where as armangac is like mescal. Virtually the same, but cognac tends to be smoother. I personally love both and you often get a better deal on the armangacs than the cognacs.

Back