• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Aroma De Cuba

Ok, so that is an exisiting brand that Ashton owns. Are they saying that Pepin is going to reblend it? Are they going to discontinue the exisiting line?

It seems to be a new blend made by Pepin under the brand. They reference to it as "Edicion Especial". Not sure if they are going to discontinue the original.

Thanks,

Brian

It seems to be a new blend made by Pepin under the brand. They reference to it as "Edicion Especial". Not sure if they are going to discontinue the original.

Thanks,

Brian

They should. They taste like mud. A blend made of Nicaraguan tobacco will be a big improvement.

I wonder how much longer Pepin can keep pumping out new blends before he's over extended? ???

I've purchased 3 fivers of La Aroma de Cuba over the years. The first one, wasnt too bad. The next two, spanning several years, were absolutely horrible. I've even tried some singles here and there, and they were consistent in horrible flavor. But, that is me. Someone else my love them.

I've often wondered what keeps certain lines alive. Is it strictly newbies buying boxes, or do they have a legitimate fan base, making repeat purchases? I can see some attributes with these that suggest others, with differant likes, might enjoy. They are just not for me.

As far as Pepin blending a line, They just might be smokeable, Even my least favorite Pepin's don't suck in the flavor department, to me. I'll definitely try them. At a very liesurely pace.

These are one of the few Honduran cigars that I think are okay. Although I have found that the cetro size has much better flavor than any other vitola of these.

These are one of the few Honduran cigars that I think are okay. Although I have found that the cetro size has much better flavor than any other vitola of these.
Like-wise. I like the cetro the best. I ended picking up a box off of C-Bid.

I wonder how much longer Pepin can keep pumping out new blends before he's over extended? ???

That would be interesting to see, yes. I wonder if he is reaching his capacity for a level standard of quality around now. Over-reaching, and quality loss that would follow would certainly damage his reputation somewhat.

Just checked out a blog post on CA and Mr. Savona just tried the Aroma de Cuba Edicion Especial at IPCPR. Here is what he had to say:

My first smoke was the new Aroma de Cuba Edicion Especial from Nicaragua that I wrote about online and in Cigar Insider. I was asked in the forums if this meant an end to the original Aroma de Cuba, which is made in Honduras. Nope. “It’s not a replacement for the original,” said Ashton vice president Sathya Levin. “We wanted to strengthen and round out the La Aroma de Cuba brand.” He handed me a short robusto. It’s made by Pepin Garcia with a middle priming Ecuador wrapper grown from Cuban seed, and Nicaraguan filler and binder. It was mild to medium bodied, a bit floral, with a honeyed character to it, and some creaminess. Very tasty. Just what the doctor ordered for the morning. There’s also a new Ashton ESG, a pyramid size, but it’s not going to be ready all that soon. They hope to have it out for the holidays.

Sounds good! He also mentions some other interesting stuff! A Davidoff maduro!!! :thumbs:

Rest of the blog post: IPCPR

Brian

I cannot wait to try these, I love most of the Pepin stuff and hopefully this won't dissapoint. Anyone know when to expect them around the DFW area?

I have already ordered mine, and I believe they are just about ready to start shipping. If that is not correct, I will post an update to let you know.

Interesting indeed. I have to say that I'm not a fan of the regular Aroma de Cubas, but these sound like they could be a decent mild smoke. Armed with this information, I'll certainly try a few when they start appearing around here, which I almost certainly would not have done otherwise, so thanks for the heads up!

Had one today and ordered a few boxes. It's no where near the power smokes he usually blends, but it wasn't just smoke either. Good flavor and well constructed. I would definitely smoke more.

In addition to the Ashton, he released a new cigar for his own line also. Very nice smoke indeed.

They reference to it as "Edicion Especial".
That should add $2 more per stick to the price! :laugh:

I'm with Alan on this one...it seems every month or so Pepin has a new stick coming out, whether his own label or through contract. His Miami made cigars are some quality sticks, things of beauty. The Nicaraguan cigars are (I think) a little hit or miss with each box....some good, some bad, some plugged, some with a thin wrapper that tear, etc. But as long as the quality keeps pace with the pricing, he'll be very successful.

From what little I read so far, I look forward to a milder Nic blend...it seems most people blending their tobacco are in a strength war of sorts...a little toned down version is perfect for my humidor right now...so I can't wait to try a few.

PS...someone please post where these are available...I haven't had any luck so far, I guess they are in transit :laugh:

These are very nice cigars. Definitely mild to medium but with a lot of flavor. They're in the $7 to $8 range. Nicaraguan blend with a Cuban seed Ecuadorian wrapper. I believe they'll be shipping some time in September.

Thanks,
Eric

Here's a photo of the cigars:

aromaedesp2.jpg

Thanks,

Brian

They should. They taste like mud. A blend made of Nicaraguan tobacco will be a big improvement.

With the recent decline of the smoking quality of the Pepin sticks I've had the privilege of trying, I'd say he's already over extended.