• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Aromatic vs non?

stevehawk

'Member? C'mon you 'member!
So fellas... here's a newb piper question.

I am not a big fan of the only aromatic tobacco that I have smoked so far. I'm not at home so can't remember the name. It tastes like a flavored cigar, IMO. Would a non-aromatic be more to my liking or am I just smoking the wrong one for me?

Aromatics are for people who want to please those around them and not themselves. They smell great and taste like crap, in my opinion, of course. Since your a cigar smoker, I suspect you would appreciate a non-aro much more, and give it a chance. Smoke your pipe regularly for a month or so before you make a decision. Your palate needs breaking in. It's not like cigar smoking, at all.

Doc.

I like some aros, but not many. Doc is right in that you'll likely prefer non-flavored tobaccos. I know I prefer non-aros overall.

Stick with it, Steve.

I prefer both myself. Da Vinci is one thats a pleasant Aromatic and yes, I can even taste this one. Its easy to tell when the tobacco is cashed since it turns to a bone white color.

But on the opposite side of the spectrum, I enjoy Non-aromatics like Amazon which isn't for the weak. A partial bowl can put a 300lb man down for a 10 count. I also smoke cigars which range from the weak to what I would call half-ass with strength as the Amazon pipe tobacco showed me even Litto Gomez cigars are terribly weak.

Oh you can say bs on it. But when you smoke a 7% Nicotine pipe tobacco like Amazon for the first time, you will understand the meaning of a real overdose of nicotine in the system. It can make your mouth, tongue, and lips to have a numbing/burning sensation for the first time of smoking it. After smoking it a few times, those side effects tend to get milder with each bowl.

It really all depends on you. If you are trying cheap tobacco, then yeah the experience can be horrible and thus put you off on one side or the other. As I have had both good and bad from each side, I can pretty much judge by reading the ingredients of the tobacco and know if I will like it, love it, or hate it. Thats with 10+ years pipe smoking will due for you. I had a lot to learn about pipes and I owe it all to the good ole boys that visited the B&M shop from years ago. I asked them questions and got their opinions on different things dealing with pipes. Between the 5, they had over 300 years experience with pipes. I was thankful to learn all I could from them.

But their experiences wasn't mine so I still had to learn the hard way. I am still learning and hope it never stops. :D

I'm still very new to pipes but I've had the experience to smoke some of Boswell's aromatics and some of Dunhill's non-aromatics. I've enjoyed both quite thoroughly. Typically, I lean towards the aromatics.

I find when I'm in the mood to smoke something with flavors that aren't naturally occurring (yes - it happens from time to time) I'll puff on a quality aromatic in my pipe. I can enjoy the taste and the second-hand aromas. Also, as was noted above, it is more appreciated by non-smokers around you than cigar smoke.

As a pipe newbie, if you haven't enjoyed aromatics much yet, I'd encourage you to keep trying new things! I have smoked some aromatics that were of lesser quality and I didn't enjoy them at all. Likewise, I've smoked my favorite aromatic out of a subpar pipe and didn't enjoy it at all. I have smoked very few flavored cigars, but I haven't found any that I enjoy nearly as much as a good aromatic from the pipe.

More often, when I'm in the mood for the flavors that naturally occur in fermented tobacco, I prefer the experience of smoking a cigar. I enjoy the non-aromatics that I've smoked, but I haven't yet found one that I'd frequently go to over most of the cigars in my collection.

It may change over time and as I experience different blends. For now, that's my $0.02 as a fellow pipe newbie! :thumbs:

I am not a big fan of the only aromatic tobacco that I have smoked so far. I'm not at home so can't remember the name. It tastes like a flavored cigar, IMO. Would a non-aromatic be more to my liking or am I just smoking the wrong one for me?

Just wondering, what was the one aromatic you tried and didn't like?

Just wondering, what was the one aromatic you tried and didn't like?

I should have checked the label last night but forgot (I am at work now... shhhh!) It was the one that Dennis got with the pipe from Boswells. Does Black Jack sound right?

just keep experimenting and find what you like! There are so many different options when it comes to pipe tobacco. Like alan said, stick with it, buddy!

I agree with Doc. In my limited pipe smoking experiance I have learned that aromatics smell great but have little to no taste while non-aromatics smell great and taste great.

You MAY get a few ideas from www.tobaccoreviews.com

One thing pipe smoking does have in common with cigar smoking is it's subjective nature. ;)

As someone said, "There's no accounting for taste".

I've found that the Boswell blends have a nice flavor, depending on if I use one of my Nordings or a basket...I've found that the pipe you use is VERY important. I got my estate back from Boswell after he gave me a new stem and clean, and I find it to be the best smoker I own, whether aro or non aro.