• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Arrests at Habanos?

Mark Twain

Call me Ishmael.
Opened up this email today from a vendor:

Breaking Habanos News:

Several high ranking managers at Habanos have recently been arrested, as far as we can ascertain, it seems to be a case of graft. At least one Central American distributor has also been arrested.

Habanos have run out of, or are very low on aluminum tubes.Some of the wood they have purchased for boxes, is of such poor qualityas to be unusable

More news as we get it.....

(Typos are from the email. :rolleyes: )

Anyone heard more news on this?

Supposedly Manuel Garcia the director of exports for Habanos SA about 10 days ago got put in the can. But they then will probably send him home and get him to rat out his compadres. If I remember correctly this dude has a export/trade degree from Germany/Belgium so he was probably pretty high up in the communist party. Don't expect for Granma or any other Cuban media to publish this information as they don't like to tarnish their world image. BTW, the director of Civil Aeronautics (Acevedo) and the director of public transportation... all old school revolution cronies are in the can as well from arrests earlier this year. Sign of the times...John

More info on Herr Garcia.

http://www.cigaraficionado.com/Cigar/CA_Profiles/Cigar_Stars_Profile/0,2547,256,00.html

Interesting. I remember Garcia speaking so proudly on the Cohiba DVD. Thanks for the info and keep us posted.