• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

ARRL Field Day 2016 : Anyone?

OpusXKC

MOΛΩN ΛABE
So like many, I have varied and eclectic interests, amongst them is amateur radio. This month, the weekend of June 25th specifically is an event where kickass nerds like me, go outside and take our fancy radios out into the world to make contacts, listen to ye olde morse code, or talk to space (which we actually do talk to space FYI :p ) or wtf most people think we do.

Essentially it is a great excuse to go outside, smoke a cigar, and play with a radio. I figure there may be some other ham minded folks around here, so I’m throwing out the CQ CQ Cigarpass :)

I’ll be on 40m sometime that weekend with a kit built qrp rig, and was seeing if I could nab a BOTL in the mix. I’ll even send a QSL bomb combo package if we can make it happen ;).

I have never done HAM radio but have met a few. Those that participate seem to love it and it becomes a lifelong hobby.
I used to go to HamFests looking for vac tubes for my home audio use. There aren't nearly as many useable ones as there once were. Sure they are still made in a few places but they aren't as good as when they were in their hay day.

Sure they are still made in a few places but they aren't as good as when they were in their hay day
I have tubed Audio and yea, the Hamfests have dried up. :(
Those old tubes were significantly better. Especially noticeable in a preamplifier.

I have 2 very close friends who are Ham Radio enthusiasts. Funny thing is that both speak German too, and often talk to folks in Germany. I helped one build a tower, years ago. Counterweights, etc. Quite an involved hobby if you want to go that route.

NY7D here, though other than my dual band hand held, I haven't been active for quite some time. For years I did field day ops with our local ham radio club. I remember one year I had a buddy that worked for a place with a boom crane on a big truck. Our ham club had some monoband yagi's in storage. An afternoon at the welding shop and we went out to field day with monobanders at 80', which was substantially better than the wires thrown over trees that most clubs use....;-) Good times, up all night, too much coffee....it was a lot of fun.

Hadn't given it much thought in recent years. Might be fun to find someone running a field day and disturb the ether once again.....;-)

For those interested in ham radio contesting, I was privileged to operate one of the biggest ham radio contest stations in existence one "Sweepstakes" weekend - W7RM's amazing antenna farm. Really something to drive for us RF nerds....;-)

http://www.qrz.com/db/?callsign=W7RM

I have tubed Audio and yea, the Hamfests have dried up. :(
Those old tubes were significantly better. Especially noticeable in a preamplifier.

I have 2 very close friends who are Ham Radio enthusiasts. Funny thing is that both speak German too, and often talk to folks in Germany. I helped one build a tower, years ago. Counterweights, etc. Quite an involved hobby if you want to go that route.

I finally settled down and decided my audio system was good enough. I sold all of my extra tubes except for a few of the best I have as backups for the amps and preamp.
I think HAM is a great hobby, especially if SHTF. But I am kinda burn't out on all things audio at the present, but who knows what the future holds.

I'll probably show up, string a Zepp in a couple of trees and make a few contacts until the Louisiana mosquitos chase me back inside!
Have fun! 73

KE5FYR

Unfortunately I've encountered too many odd balls who are ham radio ops, which has turned me off to the hobby, or least in joining/participating in local clubs. I witnessed tempers flare too many times in past field day events, so I've steered clear since. However, the local fire dept is hosting field day, so I may visit this year.

If anyone is up for talking on IRLP sometime, we should do it!

I knew there would be a few hams around ;).

So in traditional radio fashion things aren't going according to plan. Brought the kit out to testing things the other day and found that my qrp rig is only producing a carrier and not transmitting audio as expected. Time to bust out the multimeter and check somethings. Luckily a buddy just informed me he has a new KX3 on the way. :D

Unfortunately I've encountered too many odd balls who are ham radio ops, which has turned me off to the hobby, or least in joining/participating in local clubs. I witnessed tempers flare too many times in past field day events, so I've steered clear since. However, the local fire dept is hosting field day, so I may visit this year.

If anyone is up for talking on IRLP sometime, we should do it!

What exactly are you saying?