• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Artu Fuente Anejo Reserve #55

SamGuss

Artu Fuente Anejo Reserve #55, a.k.a. “Shark”

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar. Most times a cigar is symbolic and reflection on life, whether it is nostalgia, friendship or success. Many times a cigar is about indulgence and enjoyment. Sometimes a cigar transcends a simple definition and embodies many of the principles listed above and past them.

The last couple of weeks have been rather stressful, dealing with re-negotiation of a student loan, cut hours from work (my Melly’s job not mine) that represented part of our household income (though since has been recovered through another job), car problems and being broken down in the middle of hot summer days here in Alabama, work worries, health issues and of course the stress waiting for the results of Melly’s heart test tomorrow. I was literally about to explode and some of my friends and Melly thought I already was. Albeit I was close, I held together and toughed it all out and even managed to keep some of my humor.

Yesterday though I had had enough. It was time for me to take a step back, to indulge and remember that my life wasn’t all that bad or stressed and that I had some successes in life, including but not limited to a new home, a loving partner, good friends, an “ok” job, and objects of success. So I set up for the night after work to have a good dinner, play some computer golf, drink some fine red wine, have a good cigar and get some things arranged in my new home.

About a year ago I met a friend (one of many) on one of the boards (I am active on CF, CW and CP) and we have had many a conversation. Oddly enough, it is doubtful in the normal course of our lives even if we did live in the same area or city that we would ever meet. He is a very successful senior manager and his income is a lot more than. Where as I am sure he enjoys fine dining at it’s best for a dinner out, Ryan’s buffet down the street is my cup of fare. We have much in common though about cigars. Our love of the leaf, appreciation of it’s flavors and mythical properties, to sheer enjoyment of them. However, where I am excited about having a dozen high end smokes in my little humidor, he has boxes of them aging and smokes nothing but the best.

It was Jason though that a year ago introduced me to a couple of smokes including: Opus X PerfeXtion, Anejo Shark, Work of Art Maduro and Montecristo Millennium Robusto ISOM. He didn’t think much about it having boxes (jars) of each, but for me it was an eye opener. Sure I had had the occasional high end cigar and at the time the occasional ISOM, but not of these caliber at such a time. My responsibility when I got these? Smoke them within 2 weeks and see how it affected my cigar habits. I did and they did change for the better, though he does say I still need improvement LOL.

This week he sent me a Trinidad Fundador ISOM 1998 (review coming later this week) and another Shark. As a matter of fact, from the same box that he sent me the original Shark from that he has been aging. In my move I have temporarily lost my Cigar Dossier to compare notes with for now however.

Anyway, I digress with all of this background information but I wanted to be thorough in conveying the sense and anticipation I came to before smoking this cigar. Namely a bad week that I was looking for an evening of indulgence to overcome and in remembrance of a good friend who on occasion sends me rare and awesome smokes that are above my ability to get for myself usually.

Upon arrival at home, I setup my Golfing game on the computer (an old copy of Links LS 2000 – not as good as 2001 but works for me until I regain 2001 or even 2004 one day) and played a practice game while waiting for dinner to be made. Dinner was a simple fare, hearty and one of my favorites and Melly’s specialties: Shepherd’s Pie. A small set back happened when I went for my wine. The bottle is Payva 2000, a red temparillo wine from Spain that I enjoy. I found the bottle no problem, I found my stem ware no problem. I could not find my corkscrew. A minor set back however, as I normally do not have wine with dinner or my cigars but on the rare occasion. As much as I wanted that rare occasion last night, it didn’t trouble me greatly last night and instead went to my normal water.

The Shark was dark with thick veins running along the wrapper, firm to the touch with little give in the body, oily looking but not in the touch. I started my golf game and teed off at Hole #1 at Kapulua Village and inhaled the fragrance of this fine cigar. It took me a minute to determine the scent and the closest I can come to is to imagine a brick of dark unsweetened chocolate dipped in sweet wet tobacco. Using my Xi2 cutter I was caught a little off guard at how much pressure I had to use to cut off the end. It cut straight and evenly but I was worried that perhaps the blades were dull, though later when I used it to snip a throw away cigar to test the sharpness of the blades it cut fine. Putting the unlit cigar in my mouth I put my tongue to the tip of the cigar and got a jolt. Mild bile to acid taste it wasn’t “pleasant” per se, but not revolting.

I struck the light to the foot and puffed away slowly getting a nice ember going and then went back to my golf game, chipping onto the green but with along putt ahead of me. There wasn’t much smoke to begin with but lots of taste, an almost red wine tannins trait to these flavors dominated the first quarter of this cigar with traits of mahogany and nuts. At first the draw was very tight, but as it smoked down and warmed up it expanded making the draw easier and freeing up the other flavors to be found in this cigar. Nuts and dark chocolate started to develop in the cigar leaving an oily aftertaste of these flavors in my mouth. Each draw of the cigar having less of one element mentioned above and more of another, each trying to get attention and combing with each other for complex tastes. This was only the first quarter however, and complexity hasn’t even begin as I would soon find out.

The multi-colored ash was a sight to behold and almost seemed a crime to flick into the ashtray. Starting immediately above the ember a pure white ash with cracks resembling waves coming to shore, becoming a light gray with hints of brown here and there until the very tip of the ash which was a dark gray almost black color.

By the time I started to get into the second quarter of the cigar I was at the beginning of the 4th hole and was already +4 with a double bogie on third. This was not my best start on a golf sim for sure. So I concentrated even more on my cigar, noting how with each draw it became more and more complex with new flavors now emerging and mingling with the tastes of the first quarter. Wet oak and dry clay slowly developed and intermingled along with small amounts of chocolate leaving a bittersweet taste on the tip of the cigar that I would taste with my tongue, almost too strong but yet giving me a jolt every time and adding to the aftertaste. Suprisingly my water sat next to me without a sip being taken yet and my mouth not as dry as it sometimes will get while smoking a cigar. The smoke volume that was hardly there to begin with started to flow out now however, giving off an odor of oak, wet tobacco and mild – very mild sweetness.

I’m at the 8th hole now, seven strokes down for the game and my game is definitely starting to suck, the only bright spot in my entire game being hole # 7 par 4, where I actually made par. Thankfully the cigar wasn’t as disappointing as my golf game. After the first half, little sparks of peppery spiciness highlighted in my mouth like a couple of pop rocks you had when you were a kid – when you would only put in a couple at a time. The smoke was stronger now and the tip of the cigar took on an almost acidity taste, which when combined with taking in a draw left a lingering aftertaste that seemed to crave cognac or another strong drink. The only time I regretted not finding my corkscrew for my wine was then, because of the desire to be able to sip on a good alcoholic beverage right then I just knew would boost this cigar to even higher levels. An almost minty aftertaste, but not as refreshing or fresh lingered in mouth as the tastes in this cigar continued to intermingle, becoming more subtle yet complex with each draw.

The last quarter of this cigar was the true dream though. Much looser draw and volumes of smoke, the tastes are milder now with a warm minty aftertaste highlighted with peppery spiciness. All the tastes of this cigar that I have mentioned are there, but combining with each other in ways I can’t describe nor do I think I would if I could. I liken these final moments of taste to that of abstract art. Each person sees something different, feels something different, and I think it is much the same way for these final flavors in this cigar. Amazingly enough as I sat this cigar down, having smoked it down to my fingers my mouth was still not dry and only a couple sips of water did I have the entire cigar to clear the palette somewhat.

The only drawback to this cigar was after the first half I had to brun a couple times in order to get the cigar back to smoking evenly. I take this on myself though, since I have my humidor at 70% and know to let some cigars, such as high end Fuentes and ISOMS, “sit” for a short while out of the humidor before smoking.

My golf game I gave up on after 10 holes, having double boogied the last two holes and wanting to simply sit back and enjoy this cigar. Enjoy it I did and really helped me put things back in perspective. Ok, maybe it wasn’t the cigar that did it. But the time I took to enjoy this smoke allowed me to reflect, to think and to re-evaluate things as it were. It worked. I rated this cigar a 97 out of 100. The couple points deducted due to the minor burn issues. It was a wonderful smoke and my appreciation to Jason for sending it to me.

I had a Shark recently with Stogieman that was gifted to me back last summer at the Mooch Fest Herf in Richmond. If I could only smoke 1 cigar ever for the rest of my time, this is the one it would be. What a great cigar and a great review! :thumbs:

Emo

I have yet to enjoy a shark :( But your review was mouth watering and a pleasure to read :thumbs:

Nice review Sam. :thumbs:

Just a slight correction..... an Anejo 55 is not a "shark". The Shark is an Anejo 77. :)

Allofus123 said:
Just a slight correction..... an Anejo 55 is not a "shark". The Shark is an Anejo 77. :)
...and the #55 isn't as nearly as good.JMO ;)

I am numb after reading this. If it weren't midnight, I would grab my one and only Don Carlos and try to attempt this same experience. Never had a Anejo. I will be looking. Awesome review as always.

I gave blair a hard time about saying 'unsweetened chocolate.' I guess I'm the dummy. :)

Thanks for letting me enjoy the experience.

I only had one anejo left and thought I would keep it until the holidays when they start appearing again. However I was having one seriously bad week as well. After reading your review decided that I needed to indulge in one of those lifes little pleasures that I enjoy. Seriously lifted me last night.

Now I just have to hold on till they start to arrive in stores.

Allofus123 said:
Nice review Sam. :thumbs:

Yep, my bad - it was a #77 "Shark" and not a #55. Thanks!

Sam

Ah, Sammy. Didn't read the review since I only have about an hour before I have to leave. So, in that vein let me just say, your verbosity is only exceeded by your enthusiasum.

Ahem.

NA

SamClemmons said:
Ah, Sammy. Didn't read the review since I only have about an hour before I have to leave. So, in that vein let me just say, your verbosity is only exceeded by your enthusiasum.

Ahem.

NA
Thanks Neal! :D :thumbs:

:lookup:

I think? ???

Sam

wow dude. One hell of a review!!!!

I usually can't bring out the subtle flavors of a cigar with a name, or description really. I usually just say yummy!!! You did this job very well though.....

Kind of makes me think I am missing something............

Boy I sure hope not.